Murrumbateman Overnight 3rd and 4th Jan

Excellent Adventures

Moderator: Waldorf

1coolbanana

Murrumbateman Overnight 3rd and 4th Jan

Postby 1coolbanana » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Been ages since been for a proper ride.
Weather has been crap, work and life getting in the way of a good time.
Been doing so much work to the new 990, and now was the time to get it out on its maiden voyage (proper) :D

Been watching the upcoming forecast and there was to be a couple of cooler days mid week so the plan started there.

Why Murrumbateman?
Its a nice little place, not much other than the pub, motel and servo really, but surrounded by some vineyards and best of all, some great riding.
Didnt take much convincing and Mark (Africa Twin) and Chris (990) were in and we were to meet Chris and Deb from Yass along the way.

Day 1

Chris was going to meet up in Oberon so Mark and I left Windsor about 7.30 and headed up to Mt Vic for fuel before heading to Oberon to meet Chris and get breakfast and fuel.
Im not used to this short fuel range caper, but most people are in the same boat so no big deal I guess.
Met Chris, had breakfast, fueled up and headed south west through the Essingdon and Vulcan forests before popping out on Abercrombie Rd for a little break.

Im really enjoying the 990 :D

Chris getting acquainted with my 990 :lol:

And we headed down through Golspie which seemed to have some strange significance for Chris :ne_nau:

All the back dirt roads through to Crookwell where we were to meet up with Chris (who owns my ex 950) and Deb (who has just bought and awesome SWM) who live down near Yass.

Through Lerida and Marked Tree Hill

Quick stop off at Chris and Debs place

What a great view

Had a great night at the pub, great company and good food

We said our goodbyes to Chris and Deb, was great to catch up :wave:

We retired to our rooms, was pretty knackered and covered about 500 k's for the day.
There was some great tracks today, shame we didnt take a few more pics!

To be continued
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Re: Murrumbateman Overnight 3rd and 4th Jan

Postby 1coolbanana » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

Day 2

Unfortunately Chris and Deb couldnt join us as they had Lama issues :lol:

Started slow....

The cafe was closed and couldnt get any coffee or breakfast :ne_nau:

So we headed off to see if we could find breaky and coffee.

Thankfully Gunning had a nice cafe open and after a nice feed and heart starter, we were off proper

Some stunning roads between Murrumbateman and Taralga

Fuel stop in Crookwell and onto Taralga for a quick break and onto Jerrong

Great couple days with great company.
Thanks for coming guys.

Hopefully you guys can add some pics
Cowabunga dudes .......

ChrisCrossed

Postby ChrisCrossed » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Marc had mentioned putting on this ride and I was keen. Nice roads guaranteed and a time of year when not a lot happens. The weather gods aligned beautifully with the coolest 3 days of the summer just about. Nice.

I rode up to Oberon from Cooranbong the night before and while it was low 30s through StAlbans I missed the big storms that crossed the district a bit later in the evening. So 285k in 4hrs30m in one sitting. I wanted to get there on a tank and settle in rather than go through Mt Vic. Instead I did the Sodwalls/Tarana run. Even managed to stay on the bike on Hazelgrove Rd instead of my effort last time in busting 3 ribs not watching what I was doing...

It occurred to me riding the "Dirt Detour"in both directions that I wasn't sick of it despite covering it regurly heading south. You'd go a long way to find such good riding and good scenerey in 150k or so on the outskirts of a major city.

You get local landmarks and a top run through the Watagans

Disused colonial farmhouses and outbuildings

A tight twisty run down the hill to the flat roads past StAlbans Common

One of the oldest hotels in Australia

A capstan winch on a Series 1 Landrover to admire among other antiques, campers and hippie girls attending the festival down there...

The cuttings on the Colo Hts Rd

Mountain Lagoon Rd in really good nick

and that's before the ride started. Regulars will note I took most of the pics on the return journey but you get the idea.

Really enjoyed the 2 days riding after that. Thanks Marc for all the planning as usual. The Golspie connection is that a friend was born and grew up there and doesn't believe that anybody even knows where it is let alone goes through there on purpose.

A few new people this time including Mark on the Africa Twin, Chris on Marc's old 950 and Deb on the SWM Superdual. Always good to have fresh company.

The SWM is a weapon. Deb is a relative newbie to dirt riding but is off a GSXR750 and rides the SWM accordingly! They were both really glowing in their assessment of the thing. It certainly doesn't seem to lack oomph. It would be nice to get a go on one some day.

The flat tyre incident didn't hold us up that much and I was home at 7pm after 600k day (1150 all up) finishing with another run through the "DD". There were a few vehicles to dodge after The Pines (Watagans) which focussed the attention but very enjoyable in any case.

Really nice to start the year on a good note.
Last edited by ChrisCrossed on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no cure for birth or death except to enjoy the interval

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Glad you made it mate :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Heaps more pictures added :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm

The whole trip looks like this :thumb:

Cowabunga dudes .......

gco0307

Postby gco0307 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Great stuff one and all.

Sensational pics.

And have to admit, following the SWM side with keen interest as they are in my sights if I decide to go back to singles..

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:35 pm

gco0307 wrote:Great stuff one and all.

Sensational pics.

And have to admit, following the SWM side with keen interest as they are in my sights if I decide to go back to singles..

Im also impressed with the AJP PR7 :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......

gco0307

Postby gco0307 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:09 pm

1coolbanana wrote:
gco0307 wrote:Great stuff one and all.

Sensational pics.

Im also impressed with the AJP PR7 :thumb:

Not meaning to hijack by any means but the AJP is of less interest for me as it seems more hardcore where I prefer the 'softer' bikes but it does look and read quite good, although availability is or may be an issue.

I am the type that will not buy unless I can see and ride which even for the SWM where I ma makes likelihood less (nearest dealer 300 or so kays away)

But time will tell as write ups are positive and experiences I am seeing on the interwebs are good.

Return to “Ride Reports”