XR400 Four

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

OldDog

Postby OldDog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Pezz, i've sent my contribution to your bike build in the mail this arvo, its a jumbo pack of zip ties :lol:

supamanaint

Postby supamanaint » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Bugger that thing looks ok without that big joe blake sleeping on it. :(

Ok time to make the mighty MZ live again.

Good one Pezz and I must visit your shed soon.

Cheers mate.

Pezz_gs

Postby Pezz_gs » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Well I have just completed the compression test tonight :roll:

1- 55 then 73 psi
2- 54 then 68 psi
3- 70 psi
4- 65 psi

A little bit of oil in No:1 and 170 psi, which is where it should be.

Looks like a 460cc kit is on the way. 8)

Have also been looking at the air filtering system, looks like a lot of places for leaks, so I will have to have a good look at that as well. Im not a fan of pod filters and I can get the foam ones. I will be riding over 600k's of dirt and gravel when its finished, so any suggestions ???

Coming soon the engine tear down pics

Still looking for an old XL or XR front end and swingarm
Pezz :)
I'm not a complete idiot -- Some parts are missing

Visit www.scrapheapadventureride.com.au

Pezz_gs

Postby Pezz_gs » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:06 am

Well it’s been a while since I updated this thread, so here goes.

I have picked up an old XL250 with an XR Disc brake front end for $362.00 from fleabay.
Plan is to fit the front end complete and the swingarm and rear wheels to the 400’s chassis. I will run twin shocks and have to fabricate bottom shock mounts.

I had Odeano and ATGreg over for a cup of tea and a chat to pull the head and barrel off to get bored and overhauled. We didn’t do much but it was good to catch up, Thanks Guys.

The motor looked like this inside

The head looks like it may need a clean

It now looks like this

I have the parts fische for the CB400Four and looked up some of the parts needed to get the bike built. It was amazing the price difference between here and Overseas. Mainly Gaskets and O-rings etc

David Silver Honda in the UK worked around $280 + freight
Service Honda in the USofA worked out $256 + freight
Honda Australia worked out $596

After some sourcing O-rings locally I got the US order down to $116 Aussie + freight.

It pays to shop around. One o-ring from Honda was $9.75 from CBC Bearings $0.17, when you need 4 it saved me close to $29.00. Another o-ring from Honda was $11.25 from CBC Bearings $0.30, when you need 4 it saved me close to $44.00.

The barrel has been bored and just need to gap the rings and wait for the parts to arrive. I decided to paint the barrel satin black, for heat dissipation. Looks nice too.

Pezz_gs

Little Update

Postby Pezz_gs » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:42 am

Bit of engine work been happening.

Lapped the valves after refacing them.

The head reassembled. I had to deck the head as it was out by about 4 thou variation from the side to the middle.

I picked up this Husky swing arm which is about 600mm long and suits the Ohlins shocks picked up from Ebay USofA.

Well I started to work on the carbies and to say they were filthy is an understatement. The stalest fuel I have ever smelt.

They were very difficult to get apart, corrosion everywhere, and in the process the piston lift linkage broke, really soft alloy.

So I look up the part number and see that to replace the one link assembly will cost about £206.50 + freight

Well I now own a dusty old set of CB400 Carbies for the sum of $100 delivered. Now I just have to get them pulled down and make a good set out of the 2

I am also going to pull the engine out of the frame to reassemble and whilst its out I will modify the sub frame to take the Ohlins and Husky swing arm.

Thanks OldDog, who found me a set on ebay, I owe you a drink or 7

This is the little linkage that nearly cost me $500, see screwdriver tip.
There sure are a lot of moving parts in these old Carbies

Lifted the engine out of the frame after removing the sump, its a pretty straight forward job.

This will make the fitting of the top end much easier but will make it easier allow for the subframe mods to be carried out.

When I look at the engine out of the frame I felt like splitting the cases, but then I thought of the $$$ :)

One of the the things I battle with is not to get too carried away with the build, I said earlier I wanted it to be a scrapheap bike and not a 'Nice' bike. However I think it will look okay with all the old bling, especially the back end :)

Return to “Bike Builds”