Post by 1coolbanana » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Eagle`02 wrote:Serious bolts there Marc :D
That should solve that issue once & for all
Just need to get a ride in now :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Re: The 1190 R.....Here we go Again :-)

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Although I havent had any issues with the Unifilter I wanted to switch to the Powercell filter pods for 100% security against dirt ingress.

Stripped the airbox down and not surprisingly, all was spotless with the Uni setup.

Theres always the option to run them open but I prefer to run them in the airbox to minimise their exposure to water and dirt.
Sure I loose some horsepower but its not like I can use 150 hp anyway!!!

So went back to the enclosed box using the Powercell as the primary filters and still using the Uni snorkel pre filters.

Cowabunga dudes .......

nevgriff64

Post by nevgriff64 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Love your attention to detail, Marc. :bowdown:

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Did a bit of prep and setup on the 1190 for next week upcoming trip since it hasnt been ridden since October and the broken ankle or since Ive modified a few things including the forks and the Powercell intake system, Scotts etc.

Finally I decided to get rid of the Tractionator Adventure front tyre.
Worst tyre Ive ever used :wall:

Trying one of these Shinko 804.
Ive used the rear 805 on the 990 before and was a good tyre so thought Id give the front a try
Was a little surprised at the shallowness of the tread but anyway, see how it goes.
Maybe Im just used to the massive depth on the the TA.

I hate changing tyres but anyway, the TA came off without too much hassle and the Shinko went on without much hassle so all good.
The only reason Ive tried it is 1) Theres not much choice 2) Its a 3 ply compared to others which are 2 ply. (TA is 4 ply)
Looking at it, Im sure it will be a good road tyre and from all reports decent in the dirt and Im sure good enough for what Im planning anytime soon.

Cowabunga dudes .......

Wodger63

Post by Wodger63 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:40 am

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the 804 front as we both can relate to the Motoz.
I fitted a pair of 705's for my upcoming trip but will looking for something more dirt orientated for my local off road rides.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:40 pm

After 1500 klm's on the Shinko 804, it seems a good all round tyre.
Decent on the gravel and dirt, nice on the bitumen.
Predictable and decent grip with good handling.
Seems to wear well also.
After 1500 klm's of 50/50 and a lot of wet weather.
Hasnt even worn th nipples off the centre yet
For $100, its great a s a dual sport tyre.

Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:58 pm

So far since have my forks revavled Ive not been happy with them at all.
Originally all I did was change the springs out for firmer ones and it was a huge improvement and really diidnt need much better.
It was pretty good with everything except it was a little harsh on the small stuff and corrugations.
So, I had it revalved and Ive not been happy since.
Ive tried every setting in small increments from one extreme to the other and although its not really bad at anything it just harsh in all scenarios.

I thought id pull the springs, check to see if the heavier springs may be binding.
They didnt appear to be, but clearance on the guides was minimal so I figured Ill take 1mm off just to give it adequate room to move.

I wanted to set the oil heights into the lower range of 120mm and when they were revalved they were supposed to have been set to 90mm, the high end which would be stiffening up the travel.

To my surprise the rebound leg was 80 mm and the compression leg at 65 mm.
I ended up removing 50 ml's of oil to get them were they should be which is a huge amount :shock:
This "MAY" account for the harshness throughout the stroke and the general shitty feeling on the front. I hope so.

Ive reset the heights to 120 mm and see how it goes.
If this doesnt fix it, then Ill have to reconsider the options.
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Another issue Im uncertain about is the adjuster pushrod length in the cartridge

You can see the hollow rod in the centre protruding on the compression side but the rebound side is about 5mm below the surface.

Cant seem to find anyone who can tell me whether the rods are supposed to be at the same height and if they are supposed to be the same length?

Ongoing trouble with me forks since they were revavled and feel absolutely crap and trying to get to the bottom of it.
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am

Just to be clear, the compression leg is left and the rebound leg is right.

I pulled the rebound leg apart and learned a few things. I think, assuming the assembly is correct :ne_nau:
The needle floats and is only held up by the oil pressure, it is not spring loaded like the compression leg.
Which kind of explains it when Ive heard the clicking sound you can get when bouncing the suspension
There was some debris on the rebound needle and now it moves freely (but stiff enough to stay where its adjusted too but you can push it down and it stays there until forced up to the adjuster by the oil pressure.

So to see it below the tube top on disassembly is normal whereas the compression needle is heavily spring loaded to keep it up.

The rebound adjuster seems to be working fine and as it should....I think!
Easy to feel the difference when adjusting and pushing on it by hand.

I havent pulled the compression leg apart yet but adjusting from max to min seems to have little effect (when pushing on it by hand).
Im told this is normal, and you wont feel a difference as you cannot simulate a 200 kg + bike taking a hit by hand!

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 pm

So as it turns out, there IS supposed to be a spring on the rebound needle adjuster, SAME as the compression needle.

When it was revalved, it seems the pro suspension guy forgot to put it in or lost it in the assembly stage.

This explains all the unresponsive adjustments and the "clack" when the suspension is working.

Unfortunately its not available as a spare part, only the complete cartridge is available for the 1190 for $600 :wtf: :surprised:

Ive been trawling through the parts fiches and Im hoping the 2013 690 is pretty much the same setup and knowing KTM, they tend to use the same parts across many models.
This spring also seems to be common to the EXC range and both are available as an individual part.

So Ive taken a punt and ordered that spring, the only one in the country and hope it is the same.
All I can say is that Im disappointed but glad I found a problem.

This is the 690 setup which internally "looks" the same to me.

Here, you can see the spring on the red needle which I have missing.

Hopefully Ill get this damn front end sorted soon :(
Cowabunga dudes .......