Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Interesting, Ive never seen those before :eh:
Available locally too by the look :thumb:
Thanks.
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Re: The 1190 R.....Here we go Again :-)

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:12 pm

For some reason, before getting the bike I thought they didnt have a rad guard so once Id made the decision I bought one in advance.

But, it had one!

Not to worry, the Radguard one is better and about 1/4 of the weight of the OEM one.

I have to give credit where credit is due and one Aussie manufacturer which has always provided me great service is Radguard.
Thankfully, as usual, great service, fast shipping and they did exactly what I asked for and its fits perfectly  :thumb:

At the same time, naturally I was busting to get a ride in and B&B just wasnt getting their act together.
I wasnt having any luck getting the replacement parts, I decided to fix up and paint the rusty ones and assemble it anyway in case I can get a ride it.
The front mount is supposed to have 6 screws but they forgot to weld the nuts on and I can get 3 with nuts on from the top so that will have to do for the interim.

Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Any of you tried these?
Ive had these pegs in the shed for a while but have never tried them, Ive put them on the 1190 and see how they feel.
I guess it will be a love em or hate em scenario  :crazy:

Its handling is really impressive, its so light feeling yet very planted and responsive, really smooth and easy ride straight away.

The electronics are all really intuitive and easy to use on the go, the changes make a huge difference and as soon as we hit the dirt I put it into offroad mode and things just get easier to manage.

A couple of things came to light pretty quickly, firstly the bars are way too low, why do all the OEM cater for people who are 5"6?
I already put a 25mm rise on but that wasnt going to cut it.

So the rox went back on but some mods to brake lines and cabling had to be done

And this should sort it out

While I was at it, I really had to check and make sure that the Unifilter setup had been done properly by the shop

And thankfully yes it was and everything is completely spotless

The second thing thats come to light is the heat. A lot of heat exits the back of the motor onto the back of your thighs and the seat gets hot.
Can get uncomfortable and very noticeable.
There are fixes for this so will be investigating the options.

Thirdly, gearing. Its geared a bit high at the same as the older adventures had at 17/42, really needs a 45 rear to start with but I can live with it for now.

So far, Im quite impressed and I dont think Ive lost much if anything to the 990, its more comfortable, smoother and easier to ride.
Range is the only thing but then again the 990 needed a Safari too!
I didnt have super high expectations but so far it seems to do everything the 990 did, but with a lot less of the angry that always demanded attention :lolno:

Even more of a surprise is that the suspension is not bad, the best OEM suspension Ive ridden although it will probably get a looking into later on
:D
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:22 pm

The hot seat was the next challenge but theres a very good product which apparently sorts this out.
Wings Exhausts actually make a "Seat Cooler"  :D

Comprises of some beautifully made carbon side panel and heat mat.
Kinda goes together like this.

Extreme quality, really super nice quality carbon and they weigh nothing.

Looks very nice and very OEM

The heat matt that is cut out to fit quite ok considering what it has to go around

Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:27 pm

Temporary, but maybe permanent solution to the fuel range issue. :ne_nau:
So far it looks like Id get maybe 400 k's and maybe a bit more taking it easy out of the stock 23 litre tank.
Last ride was 330 k's from Mt Vic - Taralga - Mt Vic and used 18 litres but that was really taking it easy running in.
So for the added security a 5 litre jerry fits easily into the tail bag with tons of room to spare.
At least these jerry's dont gas out and stink everything up.

Couple of mods to the tail bag to secure the jerry and this should keep me safe for a good 450 k's  Thumbsup
That will do nicely for now  :smile:

Fits nicely into the middle compartment of this old LC4 tailbag

Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:33 pm

The 1190 is geared pretty high, same as the stock 990 was, 17/42, 16/42 on later models.
Im not keen on putting a 16 on the front with this type of chain guide and best to leave the bigger sprocket on the front anyway.
The only alternative is to go bigger on the back so I fitted a spare 45 T I had left over from the 990.
Only just squeeze it in, could do with a couple more links in the chain.

Made heaps of difference on the last overnight ride :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......

darren

Post by darren » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:22 am

On the heat issue, this is not just a KTM thing but it sometimes makes you wonder if anyone rides these bikes before they release them. Surely some Austrian test rider would have come in and said dam my arse is hot.. The fix seems so easy and would be even easier for the oem to incorporate it in its production.
I sometimes think the aftermarket industry can be a bad thing, Manufacturers produce mediocre bikes and the aftermarket industry picks up the slack and fixes all the issues. Great for them as they sell stuff, great for the OEM because its no longer their problem, bad for us because we have to pay twice
I'm not a team player..

Keep Taking Money

Hoots

Post by Hoots » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:34 am

Are those footpeg extensions CJ Designs?

If so, I had them on the 690 and liked them - big improvement

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:18 pm

Nah, its not CJ, it cant remember, I think it was a name like Zip Tie or something similar
Cowabunga dudes .......

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:33 pm

As part of the effort to remove some of the unneeded clutter and help the heat issue this pile came out.

Turned up some plugs and fitted some old 990 cover plates that I cleaned up onto the heads.

Cowabunga dudes .......