WR450F - Beyond Blue

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

Hoots

Re: WR450F - Beyond Blue

Postby Hoots » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:49 am

Moptop wrote:Hoots, where did you get your Cush hub from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTR in QLD - they don't deal direct, but you can order wheels / parts through most local shops

I went with a Haan hub and Excel rim, and HD spokes

UHD tube with rimlock, so you can more safely drop the pressure a bit

PS: not sure how often BergD reads this forum, but have sent him a note re' your offer for the TK ride

Moptop

Postby Moptop » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:00 am

Thanks for the info.

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:16 pm

Another great day out on the little blue bike

Still in ADV guise, with its dual-sport spare wheel / tyre / gearing

About 200km of forest FTs - some flowing stuff / some quite steep and rocky sections / a bit of bog

And at least a million rollovers - a good test for suspension

The bottom line is that this is significantly the nicest bike I've ever ridden - nothing hugely challenging today, but just great fun - if anyone is looking at light ADV bikes (DRZs and the like) then do yourself a favour and ride a WR - they're not as nimble as some other enduros, but track beautifully on superlative suspension - in theory, 2000km oil change interval - I don't think anyone leaves them this long, but it does illustrate the fact that they are serviceable ADV bikes

plindz

Postby plindz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Hey Hoots-
Just finished a 5800km ride on mine, did it easy (the pilot didn't). 1 rear tyre, 1 air filter (4 filter skins - worth every cent). Changed oil at Alice Springs (1/2 way)

!5.5 ltr front safari and 10 ltr rear Safari gives a range of 450k's plus - as yours is FI would be even better.

Short ADv ride - Long ADV ride - these things handle it all. I'm sold on these bikes. Just clicked over 20000k's. Can't understand why Yamaha don't build an ADV version

Got some great pics and video of the Adventure - will post up some stuff when finally been thru

Linz
AJP PR7 - New Toy
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - Work in Progress
BMW F800gs

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:25 am

plindz wrote:Hey Hoots-
Just finished a 5800km ride on mine, did it easy (the pilot didn't). 1 rear tyre, 1 air filter (4 filter skins - worth every cent). Changed oil at Alice Springs (1/2 way)

!5.5 ltr front safari and 10 ltr rear Safari gives a range of 450k's plus - as yours is FI would be even better.

Short ADv ride - Long ADV ride - these things handle it all. I'm sold on these bikes. Just clicked over 20000k's. Can't understand why Yamaha don't build an ADV version

Got some great pics and video of the Adventure - will post up some stuff when finally been thru

Linz

Good to hear - I love the bike - I've had it out a few ADV rides now, and it's just great fun everywhere

5,800km is a big result - look forward to seeing the ride report

Filter skins are a good idea - where did you find those?

It will be interesting to see what the 2016 model is like - it may be tending back toward the enduro side of things, in line with the EXCs etc - lighter and higher-maintenance - the existing bike is spot on really

But sadly mine doesn't look quite so beautiful now, after a pretty spectacular unplanned dismount last weekend - it's Ok I think, but a bit banged up ...

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:40 am

Fitted StegPegz to the WR the other day

Haven't used these previously, and surprising how much difference a small puck can make

http://www.stegpegz.com.au/

Review from Barry Morris below

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:59 pm

Hoots wrote:
Fitted StegPegz to the WR the other day

Haven't used these previously, and surprising how much difference a small puck can make

Took the bike out on some steep/ rocky fire trails this afternoon - this was as much to try out a buggered leg, as the StegPegz

That said, they really do make a marked difference - you need to adapt your style (perhaps lack of in my case) to the little puck - but once you get your boot snugged in against it there is definitely far less strain on your arms - and this allows you to get your weight back a bit - which creates better traction

I'm going to have to work on downhills, as I found it hard in some places to move around the puck - and the distraction was a bit dodgy in sections with loose rock - but I think the solution is probably to leave your boot in place (in front of the puck) for all but really steep stuff, then adopt a wide stance for that (a la trials)

Another test tomorrow if the leg pulls up Ok

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:48 pm

Have settled into the StegPegz now - takes a bit of time, but once you get the hang of them they completely change the feel of the bike - heaps more control in the legs, and that encourages you to use the legs more - not just steep stuff - brilliant for standing through flowing fire trails and gravel roads

Currently trying out an MT43 trials hybrid on the back - have used this in the past (on both the 450EXC and the 690) and really liked the feel - so far it's working beautifully - really suits the bike - great traction everywhere except deep, loose stuff (which may become a problem if we're in for a hot dry summer) - low pressure gives a nice soft feel to the back end - far less impact on paddocks - hardly any track at all

I paid $140 for the tyre, which is pretty reasonable - DOT approved

Mat457

Postby Mat457 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:55 am

If you find the bike is constantly overheating check out http://www.mx1australia.com.au/index.ph ... oduct/1963

Not sure how much clearance you will have with the safari tank but picture gives an idea of how much room it takes up.

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:27 pm

Mat457 wrote:If you find the bike is constantly overheating check out http://www.mx1australia.com.au/index.ph ... oduct/1963

Not sure how much clearance you will have with the safari tank but picture gives an idea of how much room it takes up.

Thanks mate - see how we get on this summer, but the Liquid Intelligence seems so far to have pretty much resolved the overheating issue

Return to “Bike Builds”