WR450F - Beyond Blue

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

1coolbanana

Re: WR450F - Beyond Blue

Postby 1coolbanana » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:54 pm

Nice one mate.
Im a staunch believer in steering dampers, some think they are hogwash, placebo, whatever.....I think they have saved my ass many a time and and if they save me just once, its well worth it.
They certainly cant do any harm, thats for sure.

Nice dog by the way :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......

darren

Postby darren » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:13 pm

I think i'm looking at the perfect bike for me...
I'm not a team player..

Keep Taking Money

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:15 pm

I agree re' steering dampers - have had a few near misses - and I guess we fit them mostly for that reason, as well as for the fact that they just make bikes track better in all sorts of terrain - I found that to be really noticeable with 690 and also with the (04) 450EXC - both seemed very light at the front end (which isn't a bad thing really) - but I don't know that this WR needs one for that reason - it just tracks so well as it is - in fact, I reckon better riders than me might think that it was a bit heavy at the front - not playful enough - in fact I think I might have read that in a review somewhere - I don't know, I'm just impressed with how easy it is to ride

Anyway, the damper is on order - hopefully not too far off - see what effect it has - it will be good to have the bars a little bit higher

PS: the dog says thanks

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:13 am

darren wrote:I think i'm looking at the perfect bike for me...

It's a very nice bit of gear - not quite as light as some of the enduros - feels a bit like an athletic / high-tech version of a DRZ400, with great suspension - travels beautifully and will be spot-on I think for longer days

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:05 pm

A few more minor mods:

I've installed the MSC Moto (previously Ralle Moto) steering damper - this is the new Axis model, with a single adjustment and active return-to-centre - looks good and feels nice, after one shortish ride - also good to have the additional 25mm under the bars

Have also installed Ballards Pivot-Assist clutch lever, as the OEM version is too heavy for one/two finger slipping - very heavy clutch - far heavier than a 2004 450EXC, which doesn't seem necessary

And finally Liquid Intelligence coolant, as the bike gets very hot very quickly in technical riding conditions (http://liquidintelligence.com.au/testim ... ff-ballard)

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Well the blue bike had its first ADV ride today

I've organised a second rear wheel with cush hub and dual sport tyre (D606), and the OEM front and rear sprockets back on in place of the lower trail gearing - also the old Wolfman enduro day-tripper saddlebags, with a small pouch between them - and grip heaters, as it's frigging cold here in winter

I've got to say it's an absolute joy to ride on fire trails - the suspension is the best I've encountered, with just the usual tweaks of clickers front and back - the new Ralle Moto Axis steering damper saved my bacon on one occasion, and seems to hold it very steady over rocky ground (although this bike tracks very well anyway) - with the PowerTuner, you can select from a wide range of maps to suit the riding - I went with the map I've been using for low-speed stuff, as I knew it would be icy and probably slushy in parts

Anyway, it was great little ride in the forest - very cold, but clear skies - pretty much perfect bike for the job

Should be a quick change back to trail format (wheel and sprockets), although I realised today how much I've missed the longer rides

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:01 pm

:thumb: :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

darren

Postby darren » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:06 am

Thats a nice looking bike mate, great stuff
I'm not a team player..

Keep Taking Money

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:34 am

darren wrote:Thats a nice looking bike mate, great stuff

I think I was a bit hypoxic last night after a big day in the cold sun (and subsequent restorative red wines), but this bike really is working out well so far - it's not something I'd like to punt along gravel roads for 100s and 100s of km (1CB's got the bike for that), but surprisingly comfortable - the stock seat feels Ok, and I've got a sheepskin pad I can stick on if need be

Yesterday's ride was a bit of a recce of some options for the TK ride in August and another ride Steve is helping out with - more recces to come, and I should soon be able to get a good feel for it across most short-distance ADV-type applications

Moptop

Postby Moptop » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 pm

Hoots, where did you get your Cush hub from ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Bike Builds”