lc4 refresh

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

Benny

Re: lc4 refresh

Postby Benny » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm

Ockerstrom wrote:Better by a DR650 so you can keep riding in the mean time

Mr. Suzuki must be a happy man, he sells bikes to people who bought the best, then found they need something more reliable :imaposer:

Yeah till the dr650s third shits it's self :clap:

backtodirt

Postby backtodirt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 pm

:lol: yeah it does happen but was 'supposedly' fixed from 07 onwards, guess who has an 07 and has got a nice whine happening in third........ had it checked all seems ok for now :pray:
Dr650 til death do us part!
Jeremy

backtodirt

Postby backtodirt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:13 pm

steve check this out may be of some injterest to you. should be down the bottom of this page on the link.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 63&page=11
Dr650 til death do us part!
Jeremy

Benny

Postby Benny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 pm

backtodirt wrote::lol: yeah it does happen but was 'supposedly' fixed from 07 onwards, guess who has an 07 and has got a nice whine happening in third........ had it checked all seems ok for now :pray:

Yeah its a bit of a worry, they say that you end up with a foooooked engine too....:ne_nau: Dosnt matter what you ride they all have parts that wear out,

anyway back to the 640 build, what are you going to do with it Steve......660 :mwink:

steve

Postby steve » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the bits Jeremy.

Have heard the 3rd gear fix hasn't panned out on the new ones, hope it works out for you.

steve

Postby steve » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Benny,

Looked into it, can get a 108mm piston and max reliable stroke of 80mm, so 733cc. Would be awesome but can get a solid 300 smoker and register it for a few years for the costs involved. If I toast a cylinder or crank then yes I will upgrade, but when both are still servicable I just cant justify it.

Will be basic build with higher comp lightweight piston and stock parts, going to try and do a wide ratio tranny too. Think I may have nutted out my problem with the engine having a big flatspot around 4k rpm and am expecting better performance with valves that seal so that will have to do me.

steve

Postby steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:00 pm

So I got the camera working, but unfortunately it seems I really cant take photos of engine parts.

A pressure test confirmed the cracked head, and inspection of valves showed they were all leaking and the inlets are toast.

Also found this while I was going through.

(Yes I said I cant take pictures of small stuff)

Its part of the sprague clutch which came adrift and got ground up.

from there it found its way to the top oil pump which scavenges oil from the crankcase.

which then feeds oil onto 4th and 5th gears

So pretty lucky I was in here too find all this early enough. Along with the output shaft I already knew about its time to try and find a good second hand transmission before costs get out of hand, with a new set of bearings and no more metal going through it I dont see why it wont go till 100k without an issue.

steve

Postby steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Ockerstrom wrote:Does your camera have a Macro mode?

Maybe use that for really close up stuff [lighting will be important as well in macro].

Yep, got it on macro.

Presume you are right with lighting, and probably background colour, lack of tripod, plus camera settings which I havent the first clue about. To be honest, am happier working on it than learning how to photograph it so will go that way instead.

steve

Postby steve » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

Picked up this 'superlight' 'superstrong' stand a while ago, am going to give it a go in an effort to loose some more weight off the bike.

Will have to make a mount for it but cant figure out what it uses for a bearing/bushing on the pivot. Its meant to fit a 01-07 RFS, anyone got a photo of the OEM mount or one I can have a look at/measure?

steve

Postby steve » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Spare Spares room is well stocked enough to begin now.:dance:

Return to “Bike Builds”