APC Spin Off

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

mark1957

Re: APC Spin Off

Post by mark1957 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Hey plindz, we will all get out for a play soon ... some good trails out there to take that on :wave:
My favourite trail is the one I haven't been on yet

2005 KTM 625sxc

plindz

Post by plindz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:03 pm

G'Day Mark

Hopefully you will be up and running again soon and will be able to show me some tracks on the WR's maiden ride :dance:

On with the bike build -
The side cover and revised stator and rec/reg turned up today - doesn't look any different but apparently will run heated grips, HID headlight, power outlet, GPS and spotties. Will have to find that out later
Fitted stator, wiring harness and rec /reg
IMG_1325.JPG
New stator
IMG_1326.JPG
New rec/reg
IMG_1327.JPG
Will start bolting all back together on the weekend - hopefully :pray: it all goes as planned. Need to get 2.8ltrs of oil to start with as this is how much it will run from here in. Got all the other bits and pieces ready to go :thumb:

More pics later as it comes together

Plindz :thumb:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJP PR7 - New Toy :dance:
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - been and gawn :crazy:
BMW F800gs - long term latte bike :chair:
BMW F800GS - project bike work in progress :pray:

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:09 am

Very exciting and impressive . :popcorn:

plindz

Post by plindz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Has been a bit quiet on the bike build - hit a bit of a :wall: with a couple of "major" problems :shitfan:

1. Had received the side cover with electrical mod back from Betta Bikes. While re-installing the side cover I cracked it :wtf: . The side cover was not properly seated around the starter motor and during tensioning it cracked :mad: . After many phone calls and beer to drown my sorrows I purchased a new side cover and is currently being modified to accept the oil lines etc. Atleast I found out I am not the only one to do it. When the new one arrives this week I will be treating it like eggs and taking heaps of time to re fit it. Although extremely disappointed that this happened it was able to be rectified :think:

2. The rec/ reg originally supplied was miles to big and the forks hit it when turning the bars. After a bit of to and fro with Betta Bikes they sent me a new rec/reg that should fit. Unfortunately it still doesn't clear the forks when the bars are turned. I need to remove the lugs around the bolt holes (on pics below). Does anyone know of the best way of removing them or someone in Newcastle who can without risking damage to the rec /reg :ne_nau: It won't be too hard but i don't have the proper tools to do it.
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG
After removing the lugs it will allow the rec / reg to sit closer to the headstem like the original and also allow the wires to fit in behind the tank with the rest of the wiring loom.

Apart from this, everything is is on track and looking the goods. Will post up some more pics as the build progresses :pray:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john950

Post by john950 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Always good to get airflow across the voltage rectifier,they get super hot!!!,maybe worth considering when mount/remounting the assembly.Enjoying the build of the bike!!!

TB650

Post by TB650 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Interesting build looks the goods congrats :thumb:

I spent today riding Steve's APC 450 on a mixture of tracks, wide singles, deep sand, rocks, jumps and dirt roads. The bike was as per the finish of the APC (although I have a list of work to do on it :D) including the tyres fitted in Maree. It is a real good piece of kit am doing a ride report ATM to post on OBT.

I didn't notice but you are fitting a cush drive aren't you? Eags is right about the concept seat on Steve's bike it is awesome :dance:as is the steering damper, the high bars, the cush drive hub, pivot pegz, the screen tower setup, the Teknik suspension, the oversize front disc, the oil tank setup etc

Just a note though, with the big front tank and the B&B oil tank bash plate you can't get to the dipstick. After typing that you may noy even be able to get to it with a standard tank because of the bash plate. The guys battled with it on the APC. I will try and get a few photos to show you what I mean.

Enjoy your build its a cracker

:popcorn:

TB
Should be out riding I reckon!!

Rides - XT660Z, XR650R, RM370 and soon a ?

plindz

Post by plindz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 pm

G'Day TB

Got all :thumb: the goodies and farkles for this project - my credit card sure knows it. The access to the dip stick will be pretty well non existant once the oil lines are run - shouldn't cause too many problems. Not doing any suspension upgrades at this stage will see how it goes (not in the budget). Looking forward to getting it going and having a ride :dance:

More pics of the build -
The cracked cover that put things on hold :mad:
IMG_1426.jpg
The incorrect rec/reg - too big!!!
IMG_1329.JPG
While this was getting sorted time to fit some other stuff - weather proof the heated handgrip switch
IMG_2154.jpg
Fit the new radiator guards
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_2153.jpg

plindz

Post by plindz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Plumb the fuel tanks in
IMG_2148.JPG
IMG_2157.JPG
Front sprocket and new chain. The front sprocket now 15t only just fits. Clears the swing arm guide by mm's. Will have to modify the case saver as it doesn't fit now. More work for the newly acquired Dremmel
IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_1424.JPG

plindz

Post by plindz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:47 pm

New (modified) rec /reg
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG
The wiring nightmare - :crazy:
IMG_2150.jpg

plindz

Post by plindz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:00 pm

Another set back - the fixed bolt that holds the bash plate sheared out of the frame while fitting the bash plate - got me f#$^ed, hadn't even tensioned it and it came out - Mental note "remember this is a project and things are suppose to happen" :mad: anyhow will be easily fixed just slows the project down a bit. :whistle:
IMG_2163.JPG
New side cover fitted - no problems :thumb:
IMG_2147.JPG
Gettin' close now - geez i hope this thing fires up when all the stuff is done :pray:
IMG_2155.JPG
Just need to fit the power outlet and the bash plate / oil lines then its the moment of truth :ne_nau: