APC Spin Off

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

plindz

Re: APC Spin Off

Postby plindz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:21 pm

G'Day John

Went with the exhaust fibreglass wrap - seems to work ok. I will add a small aluminium bracket to hold the fuel line up out of the way.
IMG_1456.JPG

Working on a carbon fibre guard that will bolt straight on (when time pemits)

Hit another small :wall:. The RHS fuel outlet on the Safari rear tank has a leak. Lucky I am not in a hurry to get it sorted. Will contact the supplier on Tuesday to get an answer. Apart from this all the other plumbing seems to seal well. Goin' for a short (very) early ride Monday morn (close to home) to check out the rest of the stuff fitted. :pray:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJP PR7 - New Toy
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - Work in Progress
BMW F800gs

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Looking good plindz ! :thumb:

I reckon next year's Oz Safari adv tour should be on the cards for you.
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

plindz

Postby plindz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Took the "Project" for a short ride to work and back today - 3 things to get sorted straight up :clap:
1. Wheels need balancing - anything over 60kmh on the tar was a bit (very) ordinary. On the dirt was a bit easier.
2. Gotta fix the seat - not built for long k's
3. Need some good hand grips

Basic things to fix - but would make a massive difference on a long haul - looks like the c/card is getting another work out :violin:
I suppose each ride in the beginning will unravel something else to adjust/tweak - apart from this to begin with it will be one awesome machine :thumb:
AJP PR7 - New Toy
BMW F800gs

plindz

Postby plindz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm

How good are Safari Tanks :thumb: - explained to them what was happening and without question a new replacement is on the way.
That!!!!!!! is exactly why I buy Aussie :yo:

Wheels getting balanced later this week (maybe if time permits). Workin' on a seat mod :whistle: . Trying a few things to get blinkers goin' hopefully a new flasher unit will fix it (just need the right one) :ne_nau:
AJP PR7 - New Toy
BMW F800gs

plindz

Postby plindz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Still goin' with the build - time gets in the way :boozer:

Wheels balanced (moved rim lock also) :?: , seat getting a make over :dance:. Replacement rear tank fitted - big :thumb: to safari tanks.

Blinkers still don't work - tried a new flasher unit - no go. Anyone know a trusty motorcycle electrician in Newcastle?? :ne_nau:
AJP PR7 - New Toy
BMW F800gs

plindz

Postby plindz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:50 pm

It has been a while since an update on the WR project - after the Hill End Ride with Mark1957 and doing 1200+ dusty k's I thought i might dump the oil (been awhile - work takes up to much "me" time) after the ride to see how it looks after that many K's.

Problem 1 - cant take bash plate off and that means oil running all thru the bash plate when the sump plug is removed :think:. Give the guys at Pirtek a call to see if they have any ideas.
Solution :dance: - "try a brake caliper bleed valve that screws directly into where the sump plug goes". Off to the Brake place to see if they have anything and they do.

First thing cut the tip off the bleed valve - leaves a straight thru bolt
Original Oil Drain Plug
Dipstick still easy to get to with oil lines added
Drain the bash plate oil tank
Lay the bike on its side (not an uncommon sight) :imaposer:
Fit the new drain plug (modified bleed valve)
Add the drain hose
Stand the bike back up (done this plenty of times before) and let the old oil drain out
Crack open the 2nd drain bolt - this will also get a modified valve and drain hose

Overall minimal mess - takes a bit longer but bugger all to clean up if the oil was let run out over the bash plate. Hopefully this may help some other WR450 owners who don't want to remove the bash plate to dump the oil.

Overall after the 1200+ k's to Hill End the bike performed extremely well and was worth the expense. A WR450 does make a great adventure bike (at a cost). Now - if i can only get the blinkers to work!!

On another note - Santa was good to me this year :dance:

Gettin' ready for the next adventure !! :wave:
Last edited by plindz on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AJP PR7 - New Toy
BMW F800gs

steve

Postby steve » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:15 pm

So what'd santa bring you, little red x's?? :ne_nau:

You've probably said it and I missed it, but whats with the blinkers?

plindz

Postby plindz » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:28 pm

No chance of any "red xx's" :imaposer: - fixed up the pics, I loaded them up wrong :doh:

Re: blinkers - can't get them to work. When each one is wired directly to the battery they light up but when all connected up even with a new flasher unit they don't work at all. Got me fugged what it is. :ne_nau:

I know a sparkie in Cooranbong (rides a DR650) who said he could have a go at fixing them.
AJP PR7 - New Toy
BMW F800gs

steve

Postby steve » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 pm

No doubt the sparky could. LEDs?

Big Al

Postby Big Al » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:56 pm

I have trouble with my blinkers quite often , usually traced to a bad earth connection .

Liberal doses of contact cleaner on all wiring connectors usually fixes my issue .

Return to “Bike Builds”