DR 650 Rebuild

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

Bandages and Splints

DR 650 Rebuild

Postby Bandages and Splints » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:11 am

Last April after a trip a loaded up DR should not have done, I developed an oil leak around the cam chain tensioner gasket. The bike had done 85,000km and the compression along with all else was in spec. The only issue was the leak. Replace the gasket? Nah, bike rebuild.

The above picture is what the old set up was.

I commute 200km round trip to work along the bells line. 2 traffic lights between home and work. So the guild line for the rebuild was
1. More power
2. More comfort

The above picture is the result.

Bandages and Splints

Re: DR 650 Rebuild

Postby Bandages and Splints » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm

Okay So what was done? The bike was striped down.

Engine
I opted for the high compression piston over the 780cc big bore because I was unsure of the heat transfer between the cast bore and alloy cylinder. In particular on low gear, hot day dirt rides. I also opted for the stage 2 cam. The comb give more power in low and mid ranges, not much if any in the high range.

After stripping down the engine, there was several issues found. Too much play in the valve guides, To much clearance between the cylinder and rings, main bearing had partially rotated in the housing, gears chiped. pretty much what you would expect from an engine that had done 85,000 km. Surprisingly the engine still ran well, with compression within specs and it wasn't really burning oil. But it was risky reassembling the engine in it's current condition with top end work done.
A parts quote came to $4000 from a suzuki dealer. This was the first hurdle. :wall: With the engine in bits I was kind of committed. :doh: The alternative was to find a low kilometer bike which was relativly cheap. :idea: In the end I found an 07 model with 5000km in amazing condition for $5000.00, and it wasn't stolen, in fact it was still registered :clap: Plus a complete set of spares.

So the high compression kit went into the 07 model engine.
The airbox was opened up to a much larger area than previously, a dyno jet kit went in with an external fuel -air mixture screw. An extra hole in the vaccuum slide for increased response. A barret exaust was installed.

The combination of the above mods has dramatically changed the power output of the DR. The thing flies. I've used the original gearing because of the increase in power, and the fuel effiency is very close to 20 km/litre, I've never had that.

Bandages and Splints

Postby Bandages and Splints » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm

Cosmetics

I went to a sheet metal fabricator and we came up with a design for the rear cowling using 2mm ally. The design allowed for a longer seat.
It's held onto the frame with 7 x 6mm screws. Comes off and goes on easily.

At a bike wreckers I found a front guard from who knows what model,which I modified and made support brackets for.

I made the seat in 2 pieces. The rider seat base I made from ally which is wider. I had trouble getting the front angle right to fit in the tank, so I incorporated the original plastic from the spare. It is fixed to the frame and tank in the normal way. The pillion seat base also made from ally is longer, wider and more padded than standard and is fixed to the rear cowling. This seat is so comfortable, no air seats are required.

Bandages and Splints

Postby Bandages and Splints » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:58 pm

I replaced the odometer with a vapour unit and designed a battery charge indicator (to the right of the vapour unit), which is incorpoated into the x-trail headlight bracket with a external DC power source. This used to power the Zumo 550 and phone.

I opted for the x trail head light, but blended the quartz halogen low beam with a high intencity discharge high beam. The quartz doesn't piss people off in town and the HID is just brilliant in the dark back roads of my area. The head light is mounted by screws to a 3mm bracket which is screwed to the original light support, which has been modified(cut down). I didn't like the rubber straps. Secondly I have mounted a windscreen to the inside of the head light assembly and I didn't trust the straps for support at over 120 km an hour.

The above picture looks like the screen is mounted on the outside of the assembly, infact it is mounted on the inside.

The rear light assembly is an LED tail, brake, indicator and number plate light combo.

Bandages and Splints

Postby Bandages and Splints » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 pm

The wheels for road are 19" front and the standard 17" rear with scorpion trail tyres. I have 2 sets of shocks front and rear due to the second set of spares. One set is for on road, springs are stock, but pre-tension has increased, with technik valves. A set of supports midline in the fork assembly is also installed. The rear have stiffer springs. This combination gives great turning abilitity. The bike falls in and out of turns effortlessly.

Off road wheels are 18" rear and 21" front with Karoo tires, The susspension has been beefed up for dirt with bigger springs along with gold valves for the front, mid line front fork supports are also used.

I have also installed a center stand for it's usefullness off road.

Mirrors are located on the end of the handle bars and turn in when off road.

The pictures shown are with the DR in the road orientation for commuting.
The above picture shows the saddle bag supports and the Givi box support.

Bandages and Splints

Postby Bandages and Splints » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm off to the Flinders in April and will be changing the bike back to the dirt orientation with plastics. I've done 5000 km since the rebuild and am really happy with the transformation of the old pig. I feel comforable now after the distance travelled that it should cope well in off road conditions. Anyway I'll let you know.

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 pm

You've put a lot of effort into that DR. I can tell you are a guy who likes to tinker with things. :D

I saw in your other thread that you intend to swap wheels over in Broken Hill. Are you shipping them there in advance ?
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

Bandages and Splints

Postby Bandages and Splints » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Shipping them there next week, don't want to burn the knobbies on 2200km of tar.

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:41 pm

top build Barry and a good descriptive thread :thumb:

Can't wait to go for a ride with you mate :yo:
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

tripodtiger

Postby tripodtiger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:20 pm

Tinker away. Enjoy the result.