Operation Strom

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

DustyWheels

Re: Operation Strom

Postby DustyWheels » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:30 pm

The next step was to see what the Barrett pipe looked like on the Dyno, so it was off the see Jamie at Sportcycles.

After the initial run with the standard pipe Jamie found that my TPS was cutting in late so this was tidied up before the Barrett pipe was fitted. After a number of runs too tidy up the fuel /air mixture, the ECM was then “flashed” get that little bit more. The end result with the spark arrest removed show a gain of almost 5hp and increase of almost 1ft-lb torque. I could probably gain a bit more if I went the way of a power commander, but for now I’m happy the way it is, given the bikes intended use.

I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

rmarmbruster

Postby rmarmbruster » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:02 am

Mudrat,
A very nice looking strom, impressive tasteful mods. The increase in torque is likely why it feels livelier. A good tyre combo is a TKC 80 front with the K60 rear or good on a 1200GS anyway. The K60 front is a more than a little nervous in the pebbly gravel.

A little DR650 to park beside the 1200GS will do me next.

Thanks for the great posts.

Cheers

Roba.

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:13 am

thanx Roba

interested in your comments re the K60 front, hav'nt had any issues re gravel, did a 150 k through Tapin Tops NP yesterday (ride report is on its way) no problem, maybe I dont ride hard enough

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:02 pm

I find it amazing that you have the time to do all these mods AND also find the time to go riding. :thumb:

How's those house renovations coming along ? :whistle:
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:03 pm

whitey222 wrote:I find it amazing that you have the time to do all these mods AND also find the time to go riding. :thumb:

How's those house renovations coming along ? :whistle:

what reno's, I don't have time :mrgreen:

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Seeing as I had to stripped the wee down to remove the GPS Power cable and remove the cradle, for a warranty claim, I thought it was a good time to fit
some electrical farkles as well

a naked Wee Strom

I was a little over the cluster of wires hanging of my battery terminal that feed power to GPS, Heated Grips etc so with the Oz dollar doing well against the greenback I bit the bullet and ordered a PC-8 (Power Centre 8) Fuse panel from Eastern Beaver. The PC-8 has provision for 6 switched (only on when the ignition is "on") accessories and 2 "Hot" accessories (always on) each with its own fuse.

PC -8

I also ordered the wiring harness and relay kit as I'm a lazy bastard and the harness is set up to plug straight in the rear brake light switch to access switched power.

I wont bore you with the step by step installation details as it done in great detail on the Eastern Beaver site, for those that wish to read it
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Produ ... ation.html

Job Done

With the PC 08 install completed it was time to move on to the next project, fitting 12v outlet
The wire etc I had on hand so it was just a matter finding a waterproof outlet, managed to pick on up at BCF for $15 and the rubber boot I found at Dick Smith for $2.50

next was to find a suitable location, somewhere easy to access but out of the way, decided the left side steering surround looked like as good a spot as any.
now to mark the spot
after drilling the relevant size hole it was just matter of tightening the retaining ring and routing the wire to the PC-8

another job done

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Nice setup Mudrat :D

That PC8 unit looks exactly like what I wanted but settled for the Centech AP1 which doesnt have the unswitched "hot" option.
Hindsight is great huh!
Ive still got the 12v outlet straight from the battery but everything else is switched off the AP1.
Cowabunga dudes .......

rmarmbruster

Postby rmarmbruster » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Mudrat,
I like the idea of the relay unit, agood idea. Your workmanship is exemplary, thanks for the great pics

Sorry I missed your comments about the K60 front running OK. Most of the guys I ride with run the TKC80 front because it digs into the gravel more easily providing a greater feeling of solidity - not sure about the choice of words here. I find my K60 front on the skatey side when running through roads like White Swamp ( down near Woodenbong way). The other bikes leave me for dead through here. Me thinks most likely mind over matter, but I have heard others in our club say the same thing. But boy, was it an incredible improvement over the terrible Bridestone Battlewings the bike came with. Mind you the battle wing was great on the sealed twisty bits.

Cheers

Roba.

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:40 pm

I've been procrastinating over Pannier frames for a while now and finally bit the bullet and ordered a set from MTD Luggage
http://mtdtours.com/index.php/Motorcycle-luggage.html
These frames are designed for alloy Panniers, so should more than handle the throw overs I intend to use until I can afford to get some Andy Straps Bags.

One thing that swayed me towards these, over other frames is the Alloy infill that Lachlan adds to support the soft panniers

fitting was pretty straight forward, and theres no need to relocate the rear blinkers as with some other frames

the jury's still out on whether the rear brace will stay or not or if I'll just add a small mud flap :think:

with the throw overs in place

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

steve

Postby steve » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:52 pm

Nice frames. Sorry for the thread jack.

Any chance you could tell me what size ally bar on the barkbusters Mudrat?

Return to “Bike Builds”