Operation Strom

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

1coolbanana

Re: Operation Strom

Postby 1coolbanana » Thu May 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Looking good :thumb:

From all reports the Heidenau K60 are pretty good and last well.

Ive been trying to get a rear for ages to use with a TKC front but they are always out of stock :x

Let us know what you think.
Cowabunga dudes .......

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Thu May 27, 2010 9:48 pm

the K60's seem to be a pretty popular tyre.I originally wanted a 150 rear (same as standard) but seems these wont be available for sometime if at all, ended up waiting 5 weeks to get the 140's.
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Thu May 27, 2010 10:05 pm

I have seen the 150's, but they seem to be in very limited numbers.
Procycles does get them once in a while and the next delivery is in about 3 weeks I believe.

Doesnt matter at the moment, I ended up getting a Mitas E10, sweet tyre, not sure how long it will last though.
Very similar to TKC80 and Karoo but hopefully last a lot longer.
Cowabunga dudes .......

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Thu May 27, 2010 10:28 pm

1coolbanana wrote:Very similar to TKC80 and Karoo but hopefully last a lot longer.

and cheaper to I'd bet. :P

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

Benny

Postby Benny » Fri May 28, 2010 9:02 pm

I've been useing a Mefo Super Explorer on the rear and i'm happy with it. Looks just like the Heidenau K60.

Uncle Dave

Postby Uncle Dave » Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 pm

mudrat wrote:
1coolbanana wrote:Very similar to TKC80 and Karoo but hopefully last a lot longer.

and cheaper to I'd bet. :P

Yep, cheaper by over $100....

I'm running an E-10 on the rear at the moment and early signs are it'll last longer than the TKC-80. I did get 6500k's from my last TKC but that was really pushing it.
2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
1989 Yamaha XTZ 850 Super Ténéré
1988 Yamaha XT600ZU Ténéré
1983 Honda XR 500
1978 Yamaha TY 175b

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Fri May 28, 2010 11:03 pm

Yeah, amazing how well that canvas wears, eh Dave ? :lol:
Cowabunga dudes .......

MELONHEAD

Postby MELONHEAD » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:44 pm

I have used a Heidenau 140/80/18 on the back of my 640 Adventure and was very impressed with it. Gave good life and excellent grip under acceleration. My only niggle with it was that its grip under brakes was not so good. Overall an excellent tyre and I will buy another one.
2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R, 2003 KTM 640 Adventure, 2014 KTM 250 EXC, DT 175 shooting bike and 3 mountain bikes.

He who dies with the most toys will have his will contested.

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Well been in the shed again, this time to fit a throttle lock (or Poor mans Cruise control). Decided to use the NEP CC-4 instead of the CC-3 that most (strommers) seem to use. My main reason is that it is designed to be used with twin cable throttles and so fitting is simpler, or so I thought. Unfortunately the position of the cable clamp puts the locking arm in a more forward position the that off the CC-3. But I'm running Oxford heated grips so I doubt the cc-3 would have worked, as the cable to the Grip would have been in the way.

the NEP CC-4 - not much to then really. I had to dismantle mine to turn the clamping bracket around 180'

next step was to remove the throttle tube and then remove the tapered shoulder on the throttle tube, to make room for the clamping arms.

removing the shoulder, I used my lathe but a linisher, belt sander or dremel would be just as effective with a little care

after reassembling the throttle tube and heated grips etc, I positioned the assembled locker in place to mark where to drill the hole for securing the clamp.
It was here I realised that the locking arms where the wrong length to allow the clamp too sit flat on the throttle cable clamp :banghead:
so I made a small aluminium block approx 10 mm square and 8mm in thickness, although a stack of washers would work the same.

Job finished

a few test runs in the shed and all seemed fine and after a short run down the freeway proved it worked well, being easy to engage and disengage with a gloved thumb.

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

DustyWheels

Postby DustyWheels » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:29 pm

I'd been thinking about doing something with the exhaust on the little Blue Strom for a while now, but after a bit of research I soon found that apart from Staintune their seemed to be bugger all available here in OZ. I'd heard from a number of sources that Barrett Products wanted to make a pipe for the 650 strom. After a few emails and a bit of phone tag (Jason’s a busy man), the bike was loaded on the trailer and on its way to Bilpin for Jason to work his magic.

Jason’s an ex Finke Racer and passionate rider and knows what other riders want, a pipe that is lighter, less restricted, increased performance and with a better sound than OEM.
Has he delivered?

Oh Yeah.

The Barrett System uses the original headers with a Stainless Steel mid section, which sees the oxygen sensor moved back behind the rear foot peg for protection, and an aluminium slip on muffler with a choice of end cap colours. The muffler is repairable in the event of a little lay down.

mid section

Muffler

Like his bikes Jason is passionate about his work and that really shows in his attention to detail and quality of work.

As a matter of interest the two exhausts (minus the headers) were put on the scales, with the standard pipe weighing in at 8.5 kg and the Barrett pipe at 4.5 kg so a weight saving of just under that of half of the standard system.The whole rear end of the bike looks (to me atleast) neater as Jason has tried to tuck the muffler in out of the way.

So with the job done it was time for a test ride. The first thing I noticed was the exhaust note, louder, yes, but not offensive, just a deeper throatier sound. The bike certainly revved a lot easier and this was confirmed at the first roundabout I encountered. I usually use a lot of engine braking and in standard trim the Wee had plenty, there’s still engine braking there but definitely not as much. To ride the bike feels more “alive” and responsive than in standard trim.
With a price tag of $895 the Barrett pipe is pretty good value and can be ordered direct from Barrett Products via there website
http://www.barrettexhausts.com.au/index.htm
Or by phone on 02 4567 2072, tell Jason I sent you I’m sure you’ll receive the same great service I did.
Last edited by DustyWheels on Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

Return to “Bike Builds”