Beer and Bad Decisions

As Good or Better Than Riding?

Moderator: Waldorf

Big Al

Re: Beer and Bad Decisions

Post by Big Al » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Looks pretty good Lins , I have but one suggestion to you to ponder .

How does that front brake feel with just the single disc ?

I'd be changing the master cylinder to a single disc specced one and eliminating that tower effect one if it were mine , for both aesthetics and performance as well as crash-ability . Master cylinder bore and fluid delivery rate is calculated at design stage for the number of pistons to move to give ideal stopping power so when you remove one caliper from the system those ratios and hence the stopping power alters as well . On KTM 640 and 950 / 990 Adventures that have one disc removed the std mod is to fit a master cylinder off a 950 SE to get a decent lever feel and good stopping power . Not at all sure what you would be best off doing with the Spinning propeller brand though . Maybe the G450X master Cylinder would do the job :think: . Should not be too hard to match one up as a master cylinder is just a hydraulic pump with a single action lever after all is said and done .

I am sure there will be a Brembo Master cylinder assy that will do the job perfectly though .

I don't think I read how you got around the short Speedo wiring either , what did you do there ?

Cheers
Alan

plindz

Post by plindz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:29 am

Hi Alan

Thanks for your input - at present the front brake feels a doughy but a new rotor and pads will need time to bed in (same with PR7) - I'm trying to track down an oversize 320mm front disc as this with help also - with the front brake master cylinder I looked at a few things but the price of some started to add up and would not give return on investment

I lengthened the wires to the speedo so all good on that front - the canbus system is showing a headlight fault as the BD squadron draws bugger all but disappears once the bike starts to move, I've got a canbus fault thingy for the headlight (just arrived) so I'll see if that works, not really concerned about the warning as it doesn't affect anything. I re-routed the wiring harness for all the bits in the front and got a great result with very little expense (except for a new soldering iron). Picked up power for the mini DRL's from the parker light and also that powers the Oxford grips (OEM were stuffed and to replace with OEM meant a 2nd mortgage), Using a Skene dimmer to control headlight strength and all runs through the ignition and Hi/Lo switch - it was a bit daunting doing a cut and shut on a few major wires but all good and well insulated

Bike is registered now so going for s small ride Sunday t test it out

Linz
AJP PR7 - New Toy :dance:
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - been and gawn :crazy:
BMW F800gs - long term latte bike :chair:
BMW F800GS - project bike work in progress :pray:

Big Al

Post by Big Al » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm

I see that you have had her out on the Forest Rds , certainly looks 1000% better than stock . I guess it is a bit of a juggling act to make sensible mods and not spend too much cash on it , as I know it will not be worth any more than a STD 800 GS unless you find a sucker to buy it when you are done . I'd be tempted to do a swap out on the forks though , they are pretty low rent items on the 800 by all accounts , some thing like the KTM 625 forks may fit ...... and be a lot more tune able , there is even a bloke who lives at Cooranbong who has a 2nd bike with a dead motor (625) who might be willing to sell you a set of forks :think: .

plindz

Post by plindz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:46 am

Hi Al
I'm on the hunt for some plastics to help change my showroom nick low k's one over to this - will transfer all the stickered panels over to my good one and sell the project with blank plastics (no sticker kit) - then i dont have a problem throwing $'s at some top shelf suspension and some good rims - thats the plan anyway

Linz

plindz

Post by plindz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 pm

After a short run a few weekends ago it felt so different to ride, felt like a trail bike to scare the shit out of you - not much a change in weight but it had me pushing a bit harder than a standard one.Definitely have to account for the single disc on the tar but on the dirty stuff worked well
Anyhow this one goes on the market very soon minus the seat and sticker kitted plastics - MarkII already under way with a few little extras planned
58383347_2936185466391665_6213947353729073152_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 am

Great work mate :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......

plindz

Post by plindz » Thu May 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Big Al wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:32 pm
Looks pretty good Lins , I have but one suggestion to you to ponder .

How does that front brake feel with just the single disc ?

I'd be changing the master cylinder to a single disc specced one and eliminating that tower effect one if it were mine , for both aesthetics and performance as well as crash-ability . Master cylinder bore and fluid delivery rate is calculated at design stage for the number of pistons to move to give ideal stopping power so when you remove one caliper from the system those ratios and hence the stopping power alters as well . On KTM 640 and 950 / 990 Adventures that have one disc removed the std mod is to fit a master cylinder off a 950 SE to get a decent lever feel and good stopping power . Not at all sure what you would be best off doing with the Spinning propeller brand though . Maybe the G450X master Cylinder would do the job :think: . Should not be too hard to match one up as a master cylinder is just a hydraulic pump with a single action lever after all is said and done .

I am sure there will be a Brembo Master cylinder assy that will do the job perfectly though .

I don't think I read how you got around the short Speedo wiring either , what did you do there ?

Cheers
Alan
Hi Al
I would like to pick your brain a bit more (when sober) about the master cylinder idea - I was wondering how some of those (much) bigger bore bikes handle a single disc - I like what you're thinking the only small hassle will be getting the brake light to work - Linz

Redback

Post by Redback » Wed May 08, 2019 8:48 am

The F650GS version of your F800 has a single disc, if you use that master cylinder your front brake light should work, maybe check out if the wiring connection is the same.

You probably may know this but I'll mention it anyway, dual disc require a different(larger) size master cylinder, if you use a twin disc master for a single disc, it won't work as well and visa versa.
Cheers Baz.

2006 R1200GS.....1973 H2-A Kawasaki 750

plindz

Post by plindz » Wed May 08, 2019 11:50 pm

Yeah mate - it's a learning curve with this one, I'll check out the 650 like you mentioned. I did notice at the local Beemer shop the 650 had a single disc and different master cylinder
Thanks for your input - good starting point for improved single disc stoppies

plindz

Post by plindz » Fri May 31, 2019 9:53 pm

The project has slowed a bit as transferring all the goodies to my pristine one has taken a little longer due to work getting in the way - some more goodies have turned up - a bit of bling and some side plates, screen and another Squadron for having a go at making a rally tower - New front suspension Andreani cartridge kit currently being fitted and new rear Ohlins about to land in Aus

The original one goes on the market as soon as the panels arrive back from the spray painters and minus all the expensive bits to keep the cost down - just trying to get money back on it - got a few interested but will wait and see

I thought hard about just upgrading to something but there is nothing out there that does it for me at present in the Mid size Adv Bike hence may as well make one

Well back to the man cave for some play time

Linz
rad hoses.jpg
rally tower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.