Looking really trick Linds.
You reckon youve saved much weight?
Cowabunga dudes .......

plindz

Re: Beer and Bad Decisions

Post by plindz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi mate

It's coming up a treat, really surprised whats out there that fits

As for weight saving I didn't weigh it before but my guess is not much in actual fact-
Exhaust - maybe 1kg if that
Surgically modified side panels - maybe 0.2
Rear guard - maybe 0.2
Front guard/headlight shroud/ other bits of plastic modified - about 0.5

The home modified seat on it weighed a ton but the new one light as - probably the biggest saving

Overall not much saved in weight as its only the plastics that were chopped up a bit - but still interested to see how different it feels on the dirt

I haven't done any mechanical changes mainly all cosmetic. It's not something I'm keen on throwing $'s at that I won't get back eg Ohlins front and rear.

Probably the only thing is a set of Excel or SM Pro rims

There is not much left that needs changing only refreshing if need be - still deciding whether to remove pillion foot rest mounts, not sure - was thinking of making them adaptable if needed

Linz
AJP PR7 - New Toy :dance:
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - been and gawn :crazy:
BMW F800gs - long term latte bike :chair:
BMW F800GS - project bike work in progress :pray:

plindz

Post by plindz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:47 pm

Bit of time away from the salt mine today so took the opportunity to fit the speedo up. Fabricated a couple of mounts and took to the OEM mount with an angle grinder and dremmel. All came up pretty good but hit my first real hurdle
1. Electrical cable to the speedo is now 100mm to short, cant re-route as that will cause some other issues so it looks like a cut and shut job on the wires - will do a bit of homework before it gets the snip hopefully its easy and won't cause any problems
2. As I thought it would the speedo is showing a fault with the "Lamp" - does anyone know if it's possible to a mod done to the bikes sensors so it doesn't show as a fault - maybe BMW dealer can do something??

Apart from that getting close now
pic 1.jpg
pic 2.jpg
pic 3.jpg
pic 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plindz

Post by plindz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm

After a couple of false starts with a radiator guard for the 800gs in the end it was good old B&B that had something that bolted straight on - should have gone there to start with
IMG_6960.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Must be close to taking it out for a run?
Cowabunga dudes .......

plindz

Post by plindz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Unfortunately no - wiring to the speedo is about 100mm to short :mad: so I'm going to attempt to lengthen the cables - it's the only option I have apart from pulling the harness apart and trying a different route for the wiring :wall: - which ain't gunna happen :thumb: Still yet to try the heated grips connecting but thats not a priority at present. Plus the speedo has a "Lamp" fault showing because of the headlight but hopefully sorted soon also

Apart from that yes getting close to throwing a leg over it (and the misses :oops: )

Redback

Post by Redback » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:54 am

Looking pretty good mate will be interesting how it all goes when you go for a ride.

Daughter has the F650GS(800 Twin)we got a radiator guard from Radguard in Coffs Harbour, reasonable price and fast delivery.

https://www.radguard.com.au/categories/ ... s/bmw.html

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2006 R1200GS.....1973 H2-A Kawasaki 750

plindz

Post by plindz » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:49 pm

As my heated grips on the project bike didn't work I went down the path of installing Oxford heated grips as to get the OEM ones meant having to sell a kidney to fund it. I was wondering if they work on the OEM switch and I can report they do - its hard to tell if the "Hi/Lo" switch varies the temp like the OEM ones but there did seem to be a slight difference in how warm they were - still going to use the Oxford controller but I'll use this connection as the power source for it that way it can be isolated with the OEM switch (I hope) and I'll use the other side to power my GPS mount. Also after a recent visit to the local BMW service centre I explained about the "Lamp" warning on the speedo that shows up because of the new headlight and was told nothing can be done about it will have to live with it but with the recent acquisition of a GS911 Diagnostic tool that also proved (at this stage) to be another win with no fault showing now also no more service warning staring you in the face all the time so hopefully all sorted now. Anyhow back to the man cave for some beer and bike time :thumb:
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 4.jpg

plindz

Post by plindz » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:05 pm

Back to the drawing board - Oxford Controller doesn't like any power outlets on the 800 at this stage - straight to the battery no problems all works perfectly so it looks like this will be the way forward at this stage :think:

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Resistance values are probably different on the OEM grips to your Oxford ones
I tried to graft the KTM temp controller to generic grip warmers and found it worked but only if I used the resistors in series instead of parallel.
As long as you have it sorted thats the main thing :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......