drz 400 for simpson desert

Destinations, Routes, things to do or not to!

Moderator: Waldorf

den72

drz 400 for simpson desert

Post by den72 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Hey Guys,
Just bought a 2009 drz400 hope to do the simpson desert on it. I was hoping for a bit of info on what I would need fuel capacity, water bike set up etc. Is there anyone out there thats done this trip or could lead me in the right direction. it would be great to get some info.
Last bike was a tt600 15 years ago.

tryhard

Re: drz 400 for simpson desert

Post by tryhard » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:01 pm

Did Birdsville to Mt Dare last year via the french line with Lotsa.

I was on a KTM 690 & carried 42ltrs fuel + 12 ltrs water. There was a detour b4 Big Red so it was about 530/550km.
From memory I only had about 4 ltrs fuel left, around 38ltrs used. Lotsa's DR650 used a couple of ltrs more.
Even on a 400cc I would think a minumum would be 40ltrs fuel.
As for bike set up ,my advice is pack low as possible IE saddle bags & as light as possible as a top heavy bike on soft sand will
wear you out quickly.

Good Luck.

I would do this again in a heartbeat :mrgreen:
Tryhard

KTM690E
KTM530EXC

den72

Post by den72 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for the advice how did you go getting permits did you carry a satalite phone and how difficult would you rate the ride.

tryhard

Post by tryhard » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Yep had the SA desert park permits, that also gives you great maps as the GPS can be confusing. The rangers will check the passes. :lol: Google SA Desert Pass.
No Sat phone as it was heavy & awkward to carry on a bike, but we did have a spot tracker. Difficulty is a hard one to rate...... :think: We had done Murray Sunset National park as a practice with the bikes fully loaded & I have ridden sand up at Stockton beach for years. It is hard/difficult if you can't keep up the momentum as once you stop going up a dune you will drop the bike & have to lift it up & try to get going again. Weight is the killer,keep the bike as light as possible as most of the dunes have a sharp left turn near the top. Once we had used up the extra fuel in the jerry cans it was much easier although we didn't have any problems once we got our eye in.

Man you make me want to go again.........:think::think::think:
Tryhard

KTM690E
KTM530EXC

den72

Post by den72 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:42 am

At the moment the plan is to truck the bikes to birdsville spend a couple of nights in the desert refuel at mt dare and return to birdsville. How do we keep the weight down eg what camping gear did you take and how did you eat. we are planning to go end of july at this stage if you are keen though we are likely to be pretty slow.

tryhard

Post by tryhard » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:11 pm

We carried our own tools etc as we were on different bikes.
So;
basic set of tools & spares + front & rear tubes.
1 set of off bike gear
1 small towel
2 x socks & 4 undies
Plastic Ponchos (the $4.00 type)
1 set of warm thermals for sleeping
small hiking tent
small hiking thermal mattress
hiking sleeping bag
3 x Thai Green Curry Chicken & rice microwave meals. We ate these cold straight from the container so we only needed a fork & knive. Dinner
3 x small cans of tuna . Lunch
12 x muesli bars for breakfast
1 x snakes as a pick me up.
First aid kit
Remember the dunny paper & sunscreen
The rest was taken up in fuel & water

We left Birdsville at 2.30 pm & camped just past poppels corner,the next day started riding just after day break & was in MT Dare in the late afternoon
Tryhard

KTM690E
KTM530EXC

tryhard

Post by tryhard » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:26 pm

Don't mean to hijack your thread but Here's a couple of youtube links from my ride just to get you excited :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL18ySsCWw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZglQJH5gA-E
Tryhard

KTM690E
KTM530EXC

den72

Post by den72 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:03 pm

looks great from the sound of it if we started early in birdsville we should be able to get to mt dare after 1 night camping or were you guys really going for it. did you see much traffic on the trip?

tryhard

Post by tryhard » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 pm

One night in the dessert would probably do it if you start early.
We weren't going for it but we had scala intercom so we only really stopped for fuel / lunch as we were chatting as we rode.
Only 1 4WD the same way & 2 4WDS & a convoy in the opposite direction. 4WD,s traveling the same way are a bit of a problem as they travel to slow to keep proper balance & tend not to check mirrors for 4wds/bikes behind,so you need to be patient to get around.
You'll have a ball :biggrin:
Tryhard

KTM690E
KTM530EXC