Air Filter Oil

Go on, share the love.

Moderator: Waldorf

plindz

Air Filter Oil

Post by plindz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi All,
I have been usinig "NoToil" air filter oil for a while now and have noticed on both bikes the air filters have "broken down" :ne_nau:

I was quite surprised while cleaning the filter on my 800gs there was a couple of spots on the unifilter pods where they looked a bit "frail". Whilst inspecting the filters they literally broke apart in a couple of places. Same thing happened on my WR450 (spare) air filters. I have always cleaned the filter after every ride with the recommended cleaner.

After talking to a couple of people at some local dealers they said they would steer clear of No Toil for that reason (even though they still had it on the shelf) and use mineral air filter oil.

Any thoughts on the best stuff to use, I have just purchased new filters for both bikes and will not use No Toil again .

Linz :wave:
AJP PR7 - New Toy
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - Work in Progress
BMW F800gs

Kraj

Re: Air Filter Oil

Post by Kraj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Hi Plindz,
I have found that wineral turps is the easiest and cheapest way of cleaning a foam filter and it will not harm the foam in any way, I get it in 5 litre bottles from the hardware store.
I just wash it out in Turps them use a lint free cloth to dry it out a bit more then hang it on the line for the last of it to evaporate off.

Cheers

Aaron

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 pm

+1 What Aaron said, mineral turps is the only way to go.
Actually, its the only thing recommended by Unifilter
Cowabunga dudes .......

Uncle Dave

Post by Uncle Dave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 pm

I think plindz is asking what oil to use on the filters, not what to clean them with?

Unifilter oil is good for all types of 'foam' filters AFAIK ............

I had a foam filter break down by using K&N filter oil.... Not compatable... :shitfan:
2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
1989 Yamaha XTZ 850 Super Ténéré
1988 Yamaha XT600ZU Ténéré
1983 Honda XR 500
1978 Yamaha TY 175b

john950

Post by john950 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Also be aware of "shelf life" of filters etc,been nearly caught out with as new spare fiters for bikes that would of failed on start up/first ride ,the glue/bonding material on filters has got a lifespan that does expire in time,seems everything these days is of lesser/substandard .

plindz

Post by plindz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Spot on Uncle dave

It clearly states on the packaging of the new filters "Mineral Turps recommended for cleaning"

The issue is using No Toil Oil and what effect it has on the foam filters. No toil is synthetic and uses Isopropanol as the "vehicle" to get the oil into the filter. The recommended cleaner is basically "Napisan".

The guys at KTM Newcastle recommend Motul and gave it the 2 thumbs up. They still have No Toil on the shelf but would steer clear of it. :thumb::thumb:

I was looking for some info or suggestions on the best oil to use - other than No Toil.

Linz
AJP PR7 - New Toy
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - Work in Progress
BMW F800gs

Kraj

Post by Kraj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:32 pm

You are right about the Uni Filter oil Dave, the only Other filter oil I know of that doesn't use a chemical like Isopropanol is Bel Ray.

steve

Post by steve » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Not much constructive to add re filter oil. I do know that different filters can use different types of foam which require compatible oils and cleaner. K&N uses cotton which is a different animal altogether.

The other point is an oil which stays in the filter. I use the unifilter stuff and find that if it sits for a while or I do a lot of road riding where it doesnt get dirty it all ends up in the bottom of the airbox and not the filter.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:45 am

Ooops, yeah, typed before reading properly, the Unifilter oil is the only one that seems to not hurt anything.

Steve
I used to have the same problem.......until I read the instructions from Unifilter :lol:
After cleaning and re-oiling, they specifically say to remove as much as possible with paper towel, until it basically leaves no oil stain on the paper anymore and thats apparently the right amount.
No more migration or dripping then :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:33 am

Been buying Motul filter oil for years, mainly because that's the brand my local shop sells. No issues with it ever.
Graham
'08 KLR650