Help! How-to Fit Tyre onto Rim

Go on, share the love.

Moderator: Waldorf

DR_Fan

Help! How-to Fit Tyre onto Rim

Postby DR_Fan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Allright, the first time I had troubles breaking the bead on my DR 650's rear tyre. Fitted a new H/D tube and rim lock, got the first bead back onto the rim, then the second bead ... Help! I just couldn't get the last approx. 20 cm of bead on! I was sure that if I pushed it any further, I was surely going to break something, whether it be the wire in the bead, the tyre levers, my back or simply my patience!

In the end I simply 'gave up', feeling well and truly defeated, and took the wheel into the bike shop the next morning to fit the last bit of bead! I really felt like a wooz, and am very worried indeed if I ever had to change a tube or fix a puncture out in the sticks, away from the convenience of my garage!

WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG? Another guy at another bike shop was trying to convince me that I should not need levers at all to get the last bead onto the rim, instead only needing my hands and feet - yeah right! Or am I just plain inept?

ANY ADVICE GUYS?

mark1957

Re: Help! How-to Fit Tyre onto Rim

Postby mark1957 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:43 pm

I always finish opposite the rimlock (if you have one fitted). Undo the nut on the rimlock as far as possible and push the rimlock in as far as you can.
Make sure the tyre is pushed towards the centre of the rim all the way around and take small bites with the tyre lever.
This is the most important part as the rim has a smaller diameter in the centre.
My favourite trail is the one I haven't been on yet

2005 KTM 625sxc

Benny

Postby Benny » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:40 pm

I change all my tyres my self at home because no matter how many times you do it, theres allways alot of :oops: and a fair bit of :mad:

That last little bit that you couldn't get on is the hardest but you wont hurt the tyre to much but be careful you might pinch your tube. I use two levers about ten cm apart. If your still having trouble try a longer car lever till you get the hang of it.

Good onya for having a go at home because change a trye for the 1st time out in the bush would be a real pain in the ass.

steve

Postby steve » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:56 pm

Mark has the good oil already laid out for you. I differ slightly in that I start at the rim lock and work my way around and end at 90 deg to the rimlock, find its easier when you can push the tyre right into the dish while doing the last bit.

Word of warning, dont get impatient and just force the tyre levers, especially if you havent taken the sprocket off. The tyre levers will snap and the sprocket will go through the glove and leave a permanent reminder. :shitfan:

Ozy

Postby Ozy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:59 am

As already said make sure the opposite side is pushed down into the rim and also use some sort of lube, whether it be liquid soap or WD40. I carry a small can of WD for such occasions...

Hoyks

Postby Hoyks » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:09 am

When they say into the rim, it is the opposite side of bead that you are working on that you want pushed into the part of the rim where all the spokes attach, that way it gives you more wiggle rome on the side that you are trying to get in.

Personally, I put the rim on the ground and put my knees on the tyre opposite to where I am working. this is usually enough to get the bead into the recess and allow you to get the other side in.

1st one I did was a real pain and resulted in barked knuckles, gouged rim and a pinched tube. A bit of research and a few youtube videos later and it was much easier. Lube makes all the difference too. At home I use soapy water and carry WD40 for the bush. Haven't had to do one in the bush ...yet :wink:
KLR devotee.

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:09 am

The brainstrust seem to have covered it well, but I'll add my $0.02...

Warm tyres are easier to work on than cold tyres. Out on the trail, they will already be warmed up, but if your doing it at home sit your tyre in the sun for a while.

Benny's suggestion of using car tyre levers is a good one. Watch the guys changing tyres at race meets, and you won't see anyone using short levers. I carry shorty levers when I'm out on the DRZ, but when I'm on the 990 I'm packing two car levers. You shouldn't need to use a lot of force if you're doing it right, but longer levers just make it easier.

As with all things, practice makes perfect. It'll get easier each time you do it.
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

Return to “How-To's”