MXTV: How to change a dirtbike tyre

Go on, share the love.

Moderator: Waldorf

Whitey
Site Admin

MXTV: How to change a dirtbike tyre

Post by Whitey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:30 am

Australia's MXTV shows us how to change a tubed tyre using only the tools you'd carry in your bumbug. :thumb:

Graham
'08 KLR650

applecracle

Re: MXTV: How to change a dirtbike tyre

Post by applecracle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:51 pm

They are damn soft tyres he is using... I've never seen one come off or go on that easy before

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:15 pm

:lol: Yeah, I'd like to see him do the rear tyre on my 990 and remain casual.
Graham
'08 KLR650

Dobbo

Post by Dobbo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:30 am

I too have watched a fair few online videos on 'how to change a dirtbike tyre', and read all the back issues of TZ to get a couple of idea's

Tyre changes always seems easy on the screen.
But, they always leave out the bit about 'swearing your head off', I have found this a vital skill in changing out a flat. :imaposer:

I am always looking for easy ways to change a flat out on the trail, particularly it you are by yourself.
My DR has no centre stand, so it is a pain in the ar*e trying to lift, but I have found a couple of methods around it. (sometimes there are no big rocks/logs around). Made a small aluminium lift out of some scrap, but always wear a waist belt.

Also a tip I have tried is partially inflating the tube in the tyre, before fitting it to the rim. Then just drop it on, and work one edge.

I tried to use Vasaline as a lube (on the tyre) worked great, UNTIL.... my next tyre change.... almost impossible to break the bead, left half the rubber on the lip of the rim.

Next tyre change, I'll post a couple of pics of alternative methods that I have used.

Interested if anyone else has a few tips.... (pictures are a help for me :mwink: )

Cheers
Dobbo

mark1957

Post by mark1957 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:00 pm

All of the above plus just lay your bike on it's side when taking your wheel out to fix a flat. I've done it on my Transalp and haven't put a scratch on it, just be careful to lay it on flat piace of ground. This makes it so much easier when putting the axle in because you don''t have to hold the wheel up with one hand while you feed the disc into the brakepads with the other leaving your spare hand to push the axle in.Apart from that make sure you keep the tyre in the middle of the rim when levering the last bit over the rim. Put plenty of talcum powder on the tube and take small bites with the tyrelevers.
My favourite trail is the one I haven't been on yet

2005 KTM 625sxc

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Dobbo wrote:I tried to use Vasaline as a lube (on the tyre) worked great, UNTIL.... my next tyre change.... almost impossible to break the bead, left half the rubber on the lip of the rim.
Try Window Cleaner (Windex). Fairly slippery while it's wet, but dries up after a while leaving no trace. You need to work quickly though.
Graham
'08 KLR650

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:49 pm

Whats wrong with good old fashioned soapy water and a paintbrush :?

Works for me no probs on those bastard tubeless tight sonomabitch tires :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

DR_Fan

Post by DR_Fan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Another tip I picked up recently to break the tyre's bead(s): run with you car/ute wheel (if one is available of course! Out on the trails ... too bad :wall: ) over the tyre wall close to the rim to break the bead while someone is standing on the opposite site of the wheel. That way the second person can position the tyre carefully in the right location before running over it with the car.

I'll definitely give it a go next time!

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:31 am

DR_Fan wrote:Another tip I picked up recently to break the tyre's bead(s): run with you car/ute wheel (if one is available of course! Out on the trails ... too bad :wall: ) over the tyre wall close to the rim to break the bead while someone is standing on the opposite site of the wheel. That way the second person can position the tyre carefully in the right location before running over it with the car.

I'll definitely give it a go next time!
Just place the tyre under the sidestand and lean the bike over. I can break the bead on my 990's rear tyre using that method, so you should "easily" be able to do it on a DR.
Graham
'08 KLR650