TK Memorial Ride 2015

Hook up for a ride

Moderator: Waldorf

BergDonk

TK Memorial Ride 2015

Post by BergDonk » Wed May 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Its on again, this time starting in Cooma on 28/08/2015.

Some info here; http://www.dsmra.asn.au/tk.php

and

The nitty is:

Friday 28/08/2015 - Meet at the Alpine Hotel Cooma, (02) 6452 1466, where we have a block booking reserved for TKRiders till 01/08/2015

Saturday 29/08/2015 - Go riding on one of three rides,
1 open flowing back roads and some easy fire trail
2 intermediate, with more fire trails and tracks
3 hard core with steep rutted and rocky hills on mostly fire trails

Then back to Cooma for dinner at the Alpine and debrief

Sunday 30/08/2015 I've booked myself into the Merimbula Hotel, (02) 6495 1202. Other options are nearby, although camping is a bit far unfortunately. Block booking TBA.

Monday 31/08/2015 I'm booked into the Mallacoota Hotel/Motel, (03) 5158 0455. Mention you are riding there for 10% off the normal price, which is their normal deal for motorcyclists, not just TKRiders. No block booking available here. The caravan park and camping is a convenient 5 mins walk away.

Tuesday 01/09/2015 we have a block booking reserved for TKRiders till 01/08/2015 at the Globe Hotel in Bombala, (02) 6458 3077. Out the back, they allow camping and charge a small fee for showers etc. Not a lot of beds at the Globe, but alternates are close by.

Wednesday 02/09/2015 its back to Cooma via some of the best tracks we do all ride. Should be back there early afternoon which allows you the option of staying in Cooma again, or heading off a few hundred kms enroute somewhere else.

Its up to you to sort your own accommodation arrangements.

If you are coming, send an email to TKMemorialRide@gmail.com letting me know the following:
Which days you'll be riding, and which ride you think you'll be on if riding Saturday, 1, 2 or 3.
If you'd like to order a stubby holder, likely to cost <> $10, but TBC
If you'd like a commemorative T shirt, and if so, what size, and likely to cost <> $25, but TBC
Your bike's fuel range. A minimum of 250 kms would be good. Tuesday's ride may require 350 kms, but I'll try to arrange a fuel dump for those that can't quite make that. 400 kms would be ideal though.
The ride to the coast and return is categorised as a '2' above and self supported, although there will be a 4wd somewhere in the vicinity, but not following. There could/will be a couple of tricky bits where there might be a bypass, or not. Its an adventure ride after all!

I'm trying to do a minimum of organisation. There will be a minor bit of paperwork, a ride indemnity signed onto each day, because obviously you'll be riding at your own risk, and if something goes wrong, it won't be my fault.

There are no ride fees, but we'll try to accumulate some $s for https://www.mndaust.asn.au/How-your-donation-helps.aspx with the souvenir sales. Might even be able to get a raffle together, anyone got a prize to donate?.

I'm considering limiting numbers, but not sure what that limit will be if I do, so 'first in, best dressed'.

Hoots

Re: TK Memorial Ride 2015

Post by Hoots » Sun May 24, 2015 10:05 am

I got the wrong end of this the first time around, and assumed that it was being organised with the same model as last year - i.e. as a commercial venture

In case anyone else went down this track, note that there is no fee for the 2015 ride - some memorabilia will be available with proceeds to MND research

The terrain ex-Cooma is brilliant for all bikes / levels of riding - having three steams will ensure that big bikes are not overwhelmed and those with aggressive big singles (or enduros) will have a ball

Should be a great ride, and a good chance for those from other parts to get an idea of the country down this way

BergDonk

Post by BergDonk » Sun May 24, 2015 10:51 am

Here's some vid footage of some of the terrain planned for the hard ride on Sat; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhDX4rGLMc

The other ride will suit all bikes and riders, but not this one.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun May 24, 2015 6:45 pm

BergDonk wrote:Here's some vid footage of some of the terrain planned for the hard ride on Sat; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhDX4rGLMc

The other ride will suit all bikes and riders, but not this one.
I fixed up you vid mate :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

Moptop

Post by Moptop » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:02 am

BergDonk. Happy to donate a prize. As you are coming to Merimbula on the Sunday night I'm happy to give one rider free accommodation at the Black Dolphin Resort Motel ( 4 min walk from the Lakeview hotel you have booked) including breakfast) and if I can't join the ride I might even wash the bike. Pm me if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BergDonk

Post by BergDonk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:27 am

PM enroute, many thanks :yo:

BergDonk

Post by BergDonk » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:03 pm

A couple of updates.

First up, due to popular demand, there will also be a sealed road ride on Sat in addition to the 3 rides already planned. Cooma to the coast and back via a few twisties. No leads or sweeps, I'll just provide a map to follow, shouldn't be too hard...

Secondly, what to do with Moptop's generous offer? After some thought, I've decided to allocate this via a draw that I'll hold here. To get into the draw you will have to have nominated for the ride, staying in Merimbula Sunday night, by Thursday 23/07/2015. I'll then advise of the winner ASAP after that date.

Hoots

Post by Hoots » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:03 pm

A bit more info about this ride in the quotes below:
BergDonk wrote:
A couple of updates.

First up, due to popular demand, there will also be a sealed road ride on Sat in addition to the 3 rides already planned. Cooma to the coast and back via a few twisties. No leads or sweeps, I'll just provide a map to follow, shouldn't be too hard...

Secondly, the owner of the Black Dolphin Motel/Resort in Merimbula and a few minutes walk from the pub, has made available a room for a TKRider or two for the Sunday night in Merimbula. After some thought, I've decided to allocate this via a draw that I'll hold here. To get into the draw you will have to have nominated for the ride, staying in Merimbula Sunday night, by Thursday 23/07/2015. I'll then advise of the winner ASAP after that date.
BergDonk wrote:
Hi Everyone,

For a couple of reasons, primarily the seasonal track closures that I'd forgotten about, I've changed the overnight stop on Monday 31/08/2015 from Mallacoota to Cann River. I've cancelled my booking at the Mallacoota Pub, and primed them for more cancellations. They understand and will blame it on Parks Vic.

The Cann River Hotel has basic pub accommodation, or there are 2 motels in town nearby, and the public campground is a 5 min walk away from the pub just across the river.

The Pub and Cann River Motel know we're coming and are expecting more bookings.

If you've already made arrangements for Mallcoota, you'll have to cancel them in favour of Cann River. The website won't be updated real soon, but this email is as definitive as it can be right now.

I've been having fun recceing some new tracks too, gunna be excellent!

Thanks,
Steve
02 6453 3360

Cann River Hotel - (03) 5158 6221
Cann River Motel - (03) 5158 6300
Cann River Hop Inn Motor Inn - (03) 5158 6331

BergDonk

Post by BergDonk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:06 am

Time for a few updates and reminders.

Itinerary
As noted previously, we're staying at Cann River, not Mallacoota on Monday 31/08 and at odds with the website info.

Free Accommodation
For all those who have nominated and indicated that they are staying at Merimbula on Sun 30/08 I'll have a draw over the weekend and announce the winner of the free night's accommodation courtesy of the Black Dolphin Motel down there near the Pub on Monday next, ie 27/07. You have to be in it to win it!

T Shirts
I need to get the T shirt order in by 05/08. I've obtained a couple of samples to check sizing and in my estimation they're about half a size small. I like a loose one, so will go up a size for myself. If you've ordered a T shirt, I'll do the same for you, unless you get back to me because you'd prefer a tighter fitting one. So shirt orders in by 05/08 with your normal size which I'll automatically increase, unless you say otherwise. Cost will likely be $25 per shirt.

Stubby Holders and Stickers
Are sorted, there will be a few spares. Stubby holders are $10, stickers are for coming along.

Fuel Range
Fuel and food should be available at each lunch stop.
Sat 0 150 kms should be fine
Sat 1 250 kms am and pm, with cutout variations available
Sat 2 200 kms am and pm, no short cuts
Sat 3 100 kms am and pm, and no short cuts either once we're into it. Lunch will be here in the bush, so if you don't have 200 kms range, let me know and I'll have enough jerries, and it'll be a BBQ lunch on this one.
Sun -Wed 200 kms am and pm each day will be enough, although this assumes Wonboyn will be open and I still have to get that sorted, they're supposed to be, but weren't the other day.