quick g'day

Say Hi and Tell Us about Yourself

Moderator: Waldorf

plaidler

quick g'day

Postby plaidler » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:11 pm

G'day all,
long time lurker first time poster, been riding for a couple of years on an xvs650 and done a little touring on the tar.After watching heaps of youtube vids on where i cant take the cruiser i bought a dr650 bout 8 months ago. I now have no car and commute on the dr to work. Have spent a few days down menai and a few rides along comleroy/green road but now looking to get out more and have some fun exploring around watagans/nowra and anywhere else.
Dr650 is 2013 model bought brand new with b&b racks and panniers and bash plate as well as an acerbis tank which im getting round 330k's before reserve. Got the low safari seat for comfort and the barkbusters and renthal bars.

Would like to keep an eye out here for anybody putting on some beginner rides such as viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3419(a day with jay).

Take care all
Plaidler

madrus

Re: quick g'day

Postby madrus » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:53 am

Welcome along.
Just get out & ride, that's what I do :dance:
Regards Russ.
Team Blue- '04 WR450F & 2010 XT660Z (Tankere)

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:11 am

plaidler wrote:G'day all,
long time lurker first time poster, been riding for a couple of years on an xvs650 and done a little touring on the tar.After watching heaps of youtube vids on where i cant take the cruiser i bought a dr650 bout 8 months ago. I now have no car and commute on the dr to work. Have spent a few days down menai and a few rides along comleroy/green road but now looking to get out more and have some fun exploring around watagans/nowra and anywhere else.
Dr650 is 2013 model bought brand new with b&b racks and panniers and bash plate as well as an acerbis tank which im getting round 330k's before reserve. Got the low safari seat for comfort and the barkbusters and renthal bars.

Would like to keep an eye out here for anybody putting on some beginner rides such as viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3419(a day with jay).

Take care all
Plaidler

Welcome Plaidler - yet another trusty DR650 - great allrounder

1coolbanana

Postby 1coolbanana » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Welcome mate
:wave:

Wher are you located?

Hopefully doing a Cowra run soon, youre welcome to tag along.
Nothing hard, just long distance scenic dirt touring stuff :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......

darren

Postby darren » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:46 pm

G'Day mate and welcome to the forum
I'm not a team player..

Keep Taking Money

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Welcome Plaidler :wave:
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

plaidler

Postby plaidler » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:11 pm

live in punchbowl with a flatmate i ride with on a klr 250

We hit the belanglo forest on saturday this weekend for the first time and had a blast.

Dont have a trailer or van atm to cart the bike anywhere but i can ride the dr to any location pretty much. I have 50/50 tires on the dr atm but have a new set of dunlop 606's to put on when im rdy

plaidler

Postby plaidler » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:08 pm

i got the 606's when i bought the bike but so far the 50/50's have been all ive used. Theres been a few rides where it seemed full nobbys would have been better but for the most part im happy to buy another pair. Ive been thinking bout getting a spare set of rims so i can just switch between treads when the occasion needs.

I checked out the mitas e07's and they certainly have a good reputation from different sources although it seems a toss up between your suggestion and having dakar e07 at the front and standard e07's at the rear.

My mate and i have ridden comleroy-green rd-river rd a few times so going up that way is fine.

Thanks for all the responses, looking forward to seeing some new places with fellow riders.

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 am

plaidler wrote:i got the 606's when i bought the bike but so far the 50/50's have been all ive used. Theres been a few rides where it seemed full nobbys would have been better but for the most part im happy to buy another pair. Ive been thinking bout getting a spare set of rims so i can just switch between treads when the occasion needs.

I checked out the mitas e07's and they certainly have a good reputation from different sources although it seems a toss up between your suggestion and having dakar e07 at the front and standard e07's at the rear.

My mate and i have ridden comleroy-green rd-river rd a few times so going up that way is fine.

Thanks for all the responses, looking forward to seeing some new places with fellow riders.

Tyres a very subjective / personal - and everyone has an opinion

My $0.02 would be to have something reasonably grippy on the front - the DR is pretty heavy, and on downhills and corners there's otherwise a risk of losing the front end - you can get away with less traction at the back unless doing a lot of climbs, and especially if careful with the pressure - with a HD or UHD tube, and a rimlock, lowering the back to around 16psi will make a huge difference - but keep it pumped up on hard gravel and tar to maintain handling and promote tyre life

Having a second back wheel would be good if the bike is a commuter - something like a Pirelli MT21 on the front will last surprisingly well, and it may not be worth replicating that wheel as well

As far as back tyres go, the Mitas E07 (as others have suggested) is a great allrounder on a DR - really suits the bike well - lasts a long time and with lowered pressure offroad the traction will be fine for most things - if you want a more offroad focus, then the 606 is another excellent tyre - just keep the pressure up on tar and gravel to minimise the wear - the desert / rally type tyres offer something in between a 50:50 tyre and a 606, but the problem here will be the rear wheel size as many manufacturers don't make a 17" rear - but the Mitas E09 (in plain or Dakar form) is a good option and, again, works very well on a DR

But it's all a bit subjective ...

Return to “Introductions”