Noob

Say Hi and Tell Us about Yourself

Moderator: Waldorf

Byrnesy

Noob

Post by Byrnesy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:52 pm

Gidday fellas. Just a quick intro. Looking at getting myself back on a bike after not owning one for 9 years. Only ever had road bikes so I am now looking at DR650 after reading Burgos' posts. Looks like just the sort of thing I could enjoy.

Anyway the dirt on a bike will be a whole new thing to me so any hints, tips and suggestions will be gladly listened too. :wave:

Hoots

Re: Noob

Post by Hoots » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Byrnesy wrote:Gidday fellas. Just a quick intro. Looking at getting myself back on a bike after not owning one for 9 years. Only ever had road bikes so I am now looking at DR650 after reading Burgos' posts. Looks like just the sort of thing I could enjoy.

Anyway the dirt on a bike will be a whole new thing to me so any hints, tips and suggestions will be gladly listened too. :wave:
Welcome!

DR a great choice - good all-rounder - reliable, not too big for trail riding and Ok for longer distance travel - probably needs a few mods if taking directly off the showroom floor

HatMan

Post by HatMan » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:05 pm

A VERY wise choice, you cant go wrong with a DR650.
- HatMan -
DR650 SE Rider
Ulysses Member

madrus

Post by madrus » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:25 pm

Good to here another old rider back in the saddle :clap:
I had a few years without two wheels but the offroad side of riding is more appealing these days than the knee scraping or the open face/ bandana wearing crowd, strutting about on oversized under performing V twins :wink:
Dr's are a good level of cost, reliability and performance to re- enter two wheeling.
Enjoy your riding :wave:
Regards Russ.
Team Blue- '04 WR450F & 2010 XT660Z (Tankere)

Byrnesy

Post by Byrnesy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 am

Thanks Fellas. I am looking forward to it all. Went spent some dollars on a new helmet during the week. Ended up with a Shark Explore-R. Turns out a work mates father is looking at selling a low km DR so I might be test riding it shortly.8)

Burgo650

Post by Burgo650 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Hey Byrnesy, let us know when your up n running and keep ya eye out in the rides section for upcoming rides :thumb:

Cheers

Byrnesy

Post by Byrnesy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:10 am

Well last Friday, a week ago , I picked up a 2008 DR650 with 11000km. Looks well maintained internally but a bit rough on the outside. It was out of rego so I got it for a good price.

So true to my form it is now in bits in the garage getting a bit of work, well a fair bit.

The suspension is at Technik. The front and rear wheel bearings and seals have been done. I am awaiting the arrival of a Acerbis tank and B&B Plate. Needs a new blinker for blue slip so it was 4 new LED blinkers and electronic flasher. Also awaiting a set of generic bark busters. I will get a full service and while I am at it check the NSU screws and install a new counter shaft seal with a retainer and a new Funnel Web filter. Got new esjot sprockets and a DID chain to go on it , thanks Burgo :thumb:.

Once rego'd it will get a pipe, likely MS Performance, and the stock carby will be modded and a JD Jet kit installed with the airbox top cut.

So once again I have bitten off a heap and am chewing like crazy ...... got another project with my other passion on the go too that needs finishing.