Carl's recovery from surgery

Off Topic Rambling and All Your Whingen and Bitchin

Moderator: Waldorf

katgirl

Re: Carl's recovery from surgery

Postby katgirl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:27 am

Great news Carl .... Getting closer to the dream of being back on the bike.... Will be sending all my bike vroom Vrooms on the 18th...

Kat

rattlinjack

Postby rattlinjack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 am

No news like good news............ :thumb:
2003 KTM 450EXC, wide seat, 12 Litre tank, otherwise, bog stock......

Carl

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm back! Hi guys. Second operation went perfectly, though I had a slight set back in recovery which kept me in the hospital bed for an extra couple of days. All good now. I was back at work last week. I went for a 20 km +, 1 hour + cycle yesterday and felt really good, almost back to normal.

I spent Saturday installing all the shocks on my DRZ and CBR. Teknik had fixed/refurbished/serviced/modified all my shocks. Just a few last things to put back on the DRZ and I'll be ready.

While recovering a couple of weeks ago I was surfing the web reading reviews to decide what 1200 'Adventure' tourer I wanted. I wanted something that was comfortable to tour two up, but would allow me to travel on dirt roads. I was thinking of making my purchase in the spring, but when I saw an 11 month old dealer demo with 450 kms I could not resist. Picked it up a Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer for $15K, $5K less than new.

I've done 1500 kms already and am loving it. All but the ride from the dealer has been with pillion. Love the motor. Smooth and heaps of torque! Took it for its first run on a dirt road yesterday and felt very comfortable and secure. Back of Yarramalong, Murrays Run, then down to St Albans. It handles really well. Only thing that's not perfect is the front suspension is stiff, so you feel the big hits and corrugations through the handlebars. But that's to be expected for this kind of bike and is not its primary function, so I'm happy with that.

Planning four days in the Snowys from Anzac day, but don't expect to have the new panniers yet so will probably take the CBR.

Girlfriend works most Saturdays, so that will be the easiest rides for me to join. Will keep a look out and look forward to catching up soon. Too long with no dirt riding!

:-)
'09 Suzuki DRZ400E Black, '04 CBR1100XX Blue, '12 VFR1200X White

mark1957

Postby mark1957 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Good to see you are almost ready to come out again ... see you soon :biggrin:
My favourite trail is the one I haven't been on yet

2005 KTM 625sxc

rattlinjack

Postby rattlinjack » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Good to hear Carl!
You look like a rat with a gold tooth, sitting on that bike. :mrgreen:
2003 KTM 450EXC, wide seat, 12 Litre tank, otherwise, bog stock......

Carl

Postby Carl » Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 am

Carl wrote:...I've done 1500 kms already and am loving it. All but the ride from the dealer has been with pillion. Love the motor. Smooth and heaps of torque! Took it for its first run on a dirt road yesterday and felt very comfortable and secure. Back of Yarramalong, Murrays Run, then down to St Albans. It handles really well. Only thing that's not perfect is the front suspension is stiff, so you feel the big hits and corrugations through the handlebars. But that's to be expected for this kind of bike and is not its primary function, so I'm happy with that.

CORRECTION: The Crosstourer is known for one fault, loose head bearings. Knowing this I asked for this to be checked at dre-delivery and first service, so was convinced they must be ok. But after riding the CBR to the Snowys I was convinced the VFR wasn't right. On checking, sure enough the bearings were loose. Not happy. Now fixed I'm wrapped with the performance. After a good dirt run on Saturday it performed brilliantly. Awesome bike, love it. Happy again. :-)

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Mon May 27, 2013 6:53 pm

A very nice bike indeed Carl. The V4 motor is a beauty.

You must be a tall bugger - I sat on one & just managed to *almost* get my feet flat on the ground.
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

Carl

Postby Carl » Tue May 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Whitey wrote:A very nice bike indeed Carl. The V4 motor is a beauty.

You must be a tall bugger - I sat on one & just managed to *almost* get my feet flat on the ground.

Relatively speaking yes Whitey. 6'3" or 190cms. :D

Return to “Off Topic”