So where's Jaqhama been then?

Off Topic Rambling and All Your Whingen and Bitchin

Moderator: Waldorf

Jaqhama

So where's Jaqhama been then?

Postby Jaqhama » Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi all

I haven't actually been anywhere.
Stopped posting on forums because I had to finish my second novel and edit another.
Then Linda and I partook of a spot of animal rescue/welfware and now we have a few animals to look after.
We also started to get more involved in our martial arts.

I was still riding to work until a couple of weekends ago when I took a misstep at my work and the peroneal tendon in my right ankle subfluxated.

Which is a recurrent injury, extremely painful and is a surgery repair job.
My Doctor does MMA and Brazillian Jujutsu, as soon as he saw the injury he agreed with what I'd gleaned on the Internet...surgery is the only option to fix the subfluxation of the tendon. Otherwise I'll never be able to stand on one leg with confidence again, nor hike on uneven terrain, or put my right foot down on a dirt corner. I had to start using a waking stick the day after I hurt the ankle, couldn't walk without it.
Had the surgery last thursday.
Now sitting here with my right lower leg in a cast. Absolutely must not put any weight on it for at least six weeks.
3 to 4 month recovery period.
Won't be walking or riding for a couple of months at least.
Or anything else that requires the use of both feet.
Managing to do upper body work in our gym, that's about it for fitness.
(Just loving the self administered nightly stomach injection of blood thinner.)

Full recovery seems likely, but it's a slow process.

Thanks heavens for a company called Kneewalker Oz and their 4 wheeled kneewalker, self-propelled scooter. Lightyears ahead of even the best crutches.

While all this was going on our Suzuki 4x4 blew the head gasket, so now Linda has been learning to drive my small manual truck.
Not sure if we're going to get the head gasket repaired or just write the car off and buy Linda something else to drive to work.

Using this time to sort out some earlier novellas into one single edition, which we're hoping to release on the ebook platforms.

Thinking seriously of selling the still almost new DT 175. Only got about 7000 kms on the clock. If anyone wants a lightweight dirt bike, maybe for the kids or the missus, let me know. It's registered.
I can't kickstart the KLR 250, obviously, so that's going to a mate for a couple of months, no point in it rusting away in our garage.
Battery charger on my old Beemer. Linda is still riding around on the Sherpa.

That pretty much brings us up to date.

We're still looking to buy our dream house, haven't found it yet. Come close a few times.

Ordering lots of books from the Book Depository in the UK, free postage to Oz and much cheaper than buying the same books here. Plenty of reading and writing time ahead.

Right then...that's my life covered for the past few months. I trust the rest of you are doing better than me.

Cheers: Jaq

mark1957

Re: So where's Jaqhama been then?

Postby mark1957 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi Jaq, I've been wondering where you have been.

Hopefully a full recovery is in your future :pray: :pray:

I'll do my best to get out and about and get some photos etc for you so you don't miss out entirely :)
My favourite trail is the one I haven't been on yet

2005 KTM 625sxc

Jaqhama

Postby Jaqhama » Fri May 11, 2012 10:52 am

mark1957 wrote:Hi Jaq, I've been wondering where you have been.

Hopefully a full recovery is in your future :pray: :pray:

I'll do my best to get out and about and get some photos etc for you so you don't miss out entirely :)

Thanks for that, Mark.

I appreciate the sacrifice. :thumb:

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Fri May 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Sounds like you might be considering becoming an ex-biker Jaq. Snap out of it man and get those muscles and tendons back in order. It's not like your as old as I am. :D
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

Jaqhama

Postby Jaqhama » Fri May 11, 2012 11:05 pm

Whitey wrote:Sounds like you might be considering becoming an ex-biker Jaq. Snap out of it man and get those muscles and tendons back in order. It's not like your as old as I am. :D

Nah. Got a piston for a heart and motorcycle oil for blood.

Just got to bide my time until I can get full use of my right foot back.
Physio for a month or so once I get: first out of the cast, second out of the half cast, third out of the walking boot.
3 months at least for most people, but I'm already surprising everyone by continuing to work out and use my legs as much as I'm able.
Worst pain was day two...wasn't taking enough painkillers...drowned myself in them until day six. Now I'm not taking any at all.

Original wound dressing and cast comes off next friday. Hopefully the big hole in my ankle has healed up mostly by then.
I'm looking forward to the day I can put some weight on the foot, even with crutches.

If you've got a strong stomach here's a YTube video of what I had done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEEaXvl5N3c

I watched this video before I went in for the same surgery... :shock:

I'm beting I'll be back on my trail bike, up in the Blue Mountains, before the end of winter.

Cheers: Jaq

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Sat May 12, 2012 11:04 am

Atta boy Jaq. A positive attitude and a good physio will have you out and about again before you know it. Heal well.
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

tripodtiger

Postby tripodtiger » Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Good to hear that your reasonably well, at least.

Get well soon.

gco0307

Postby gco0307 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Jaq, sorry to hear of the situation mate and glad to hear you are on the mend.

Hope it all goes better and you are back up, at them and out there again soon

steve

Postby steve » Fri May 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Geez mate, been in the wars haven't you.

Sounds like your positive and ready to give it a serious go, I think that's what make the miracle recoveries happen. Just for some added incentive I've seen some photos of some pretty impressive places out your way that a little trailie would be perfect for.

smick400

Postby smick400 » Thu May 24, 2012 9:04 pm

"peroneal tendon subfluxation"....I hate it when that happens... :wtf:

get well soon, Jaq!

(I'm also curious to see a "4 wheeled knee-walker")

Return to “Off Topic”