Finding Timor Caves NSW

Excellent Adventures

Moderator: Waldorf

MELONHEAD

Finding Timor Caves NSW

Post by MELONHEAD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:02 pm

After watching my daughter play soccer at 8:30 (they won 6 goals to 2) I headed to Singleton to meet Neil (BMW F650GS 800cc) and Adrian (V Strom 650). We headed over Abano Rd and stopped for the obligatory photo at Zombie Tree Hill, as Neil and Adrian had never been here. It was blowing a gale and freezing cold. We then headed to Gundy for fuel for the bikes and bellies. We had lunch at the Linga Longa Hotel and I had two schooners of black and chicken parma with chips and veges. Great food and beer.

After lunch we took Waverly Rd to Timor and the intersection of Sergeants Gap Rd. Only a couple of kms along Sergeants Gap Rd we came upon the informal camping area that was occupied by three troops of scouts and their parents. I stopped and asked one of the nice ladies if she knew where the caves were and they pointed us in the right direction. We found a cave entrance and went in for a look. We went in only about 100 metres due to not having reliable light sources, but the cave was beautiful. The cave was very dry but we did see a large dripstone indicating moisture was present previously.

We left the caves and kept going along Sergeants Gap Rd which becomes Pages Creek Rd. At Ellerston I stopped to wait for the boys to catch up and we all said how amazing the road was. It was hard packed, fast with flowing corners, great scenery and just a hoot to ride. This is the most fun I have had on a bike in a long time. If you are in the area you must ride it.

We next went up Tomalla Rd to Pheasants Creek Rd. We wanted to see Cock Rock again as Neil and I had not seen it for nearly 20 years. If you don't know what it is, Cock Rock, or The Rock, is an enormous natural stone cock and balls. We turned off Pheasants Creek Rd onto Dilgry Circle where it is meant to be located nearby, but we somehow failed to find it. It was now 3 degrees C and looking like rain/snow, and after 4pm so we decided to just keep going rather than spend time searching. At the bottom of the eastern edge of Barrington Tops we stopped at the Dilgry River bridge for a spell where it started to rain .

After weatherproofing everything we pushed on past Camp Cobark to the Rawdon Vale Rd turnoff to continue on some more dirt road in the rain and twilight. Along the Gloucester Tops Rd we stopped in to a friends property for a quick hello and a beer, where the rain kindly stopped.

The rest of the ride was down the Bucketts Way and all tar to home. I got home at 8pm after about 570kms where my wife had dinner ready to heat and eat.

Neil and I took some photos on our phones, but I have no idea how to put them in this post so I am afraid I can only bore you with words.

Thanks for looking

Lee
2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R, 2003 KTM 640 Adventure, 2014 KTM 250 EXC, DT 175 shooting bike and 3 mountain bikes.

He who dies with the most toys will have his will contested.

1coolbanana

Re: Finding Timor Caves NSW

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Hey Lee

Thanks for posting
Thats a great part of the world, love those roads up there.

Mate, you can add pictures by uploading attachments or link from a hosting site :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......