Taking the right turn (this time) on Uungula Road to Goolma

Excellent Adventures

Moderator: Waldorf

gco0307

Taking the right turn (this time) on Uungula Road to Goolma

Post by gco0307 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Well, what with my holidays drawing to a close, some good weather and a nagging itch that goes back a few years to finally see if a certain road did indeed go through (a few variable reports) I decided to head out on a little exploration ride.

First off it was the usual route of Geurie, then Arthurville Road with a side track along Ponto Falls Road through Bushrangers and into Wellington for a small fuel stop.

The Ponto Road turn

The Bike enjoying the views further along Ponto Falls Road

These views

The roos out this way have big balls

The rarely found Australian Green Glass beer bottle, found in it's seemingly (thanks to idiots) native habitat - beside a road

All refuelled, it was towards Mudgee, take the right onto the well known 12 mile road and head off into the distance enjoying the sealed section prior to 12 mile going unsealed ........ not that I planned to get that far.

So it was that I found the destination turn off that is Wuuluman Road which was to be the true start of the exploration as I had done this before and enjoyed the road with it gentle undulations, and the climb followed by drop into the valley with sensational views all round.

The bike enjoying Wuuluman Road - this was before the drop to the valley

The views as you drop to the valley

Staying on Wuuluman it was left past the old church, across the very out of kilter grid (if hit to fast it would easily dent the rim, the rocks are raised around 3 inches with no ramp leadin), then left again (straight takes you to the rifle range), past the multi coloured house and then right onto Uungula which was the real destination.

I did say multi coloured house

The last of Wuuluman Road for me today

So an explanation.

A few years back, when DR mounted I was out following my usual GPS system of 'wonder where that goes - turn left' and came across this valley and this road so just started following it until it came to an end - that was the plan. So I followed what I was to later identify as Uungula Road and ended up taking a left turn at a fork in the road (right looked like it was hardly used, thus took left) and finished on private property, but with nobody around I then simply retreated back to 12 mile via a good side track and kept going.
Later mapping and check, together with research would find that I should have taken the right at the fork as it was Uungula road and, provided that the gates were not locked (was told that the road was public all the way), then I should be able to get through, although advice was that the track is lonely, little used and the condition is often unknown but do NOT go there after heavy rain.

Uungula

Looking back along Uungula towards Wuuluman

So, no heavy rain and it was off on the right fork and man, didn't this turn out to be an adventure of different levels of self doubt, questioning, excitement and enjoyment.

The fork in the road - last time I folowedt he route most travelled (left) and ended at a dead end on private property.

Today it would be the right fork

Best I could say is that this was a brilliant decision and man I am glad I followed through and kept going as the ride is awesome ............ in places the 'track' is no more than two wheel tracks surrounded by grass - rocks - good surface - sheep - cattle - loneliness and heaps of creek crossings (around 10). The road is all that I just mentioned and more as it winds through what I would call a valley along a creek with undulations - it was a serious never ending test.

Some pics - all up around 10 creek crossings and a lot of relaxing solitude

Eventually it starts to open up, only to close down again as you come through more paddocks but then there are houses, the surface improves (not that it was bad) and you take the turn left to 12 mile road.

This is another great road that climbs, undulates and follows the Cudgegong river which is on the right with the only real issues being livestock but again, a road that I would recommend and will do again (may reverse the entire trip direction one day).

Guroba Road

Guroba Road - looking ahead towards 12 Mile Road

This road then joins the original 12 mile road and it was right turn, across the Cudgegong and towards Mudgee, although I planned a further deviation via Gorries Lane to Goolma. Gorries found it was left turn and off to Goolma with no idea of what lay ahead .

12 Mile Road at the intersection with Gorries Lane

As it turned out, this is another really good, open fun road and it emerges beside the pub in Goolma where a beverage was sunk.
Now, the original intent was to turn right for more exploration but given that I had already been around 3 hours plus and that I had an after appointment I was quickly running out of time so it was left turn and slabbed it home.

Gorries Lane looking back

The last pic for the day - the Strom reflects on the roads travelled whilst thinking of the refreshing drink at the pub ahead

All up around 200 or so kays but the majority of time was on Uungula which I would recommend to people into riding that is pure loneliness as you do not see or hear anything other than the bike and the sounds of the bush.

Ah well, until next time

Full gallery of pics - https://gazza67.smugmug.com/2017-01-07- ... d-Gorries/

1coolbanana

Re: Taking the right turn (this time) on Uungula Road to Goolma

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Awesome, fantastic ride, very envious.
Uungula road holds fond memories for me.
One of my favourite areas :thumb:
Thanks for sharing.
Road must be reasonably ok, last I was there, it was a little trashed.
Havent been there for a long while though..

Cowabunga dudes .......

gco0307

Post by gco0307 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks Cb and yeah, I would say that the condition was ok in that the surface was relatively good with only a few short sections of ruts or loose shale type of rock, although there was a lot of small creek crossings.

Does not look to have been used much and no real signs of any work with the exception of an early creek crossing where it appeared as though someone had repacked the base of the creek but otherwise, nothing. But then, it also has been relatively dry after the wet of a few months back so not sure if that had helped.

Mind you, some of the gates needed a bit of effort to open as they were well set into the dirt and in one case a damn thistle had grown through it which made it hard to open, but open it did.

darren

Post by darren » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks for posting mate, your definitely helping me through the off season with your great reports
I'm not a team player..

Keep Taking Money

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:09 am

darren wrote:Thanks for posting mate, your definitely helping me through the off season with your great reports
Same here with my rehab :thumb:
Cowabunga dudes .......

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:48 pm

Nice report and pics, might be time to plan a ride out that way
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

gco0307

Post by gco0307 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 pm

1coolbanana wrote:
darren wrote:Thanks for posting mate, your definitely helping me through the off season with your great reports
Same here with my rehab :thumb:

No probs guys and as you both probably guess .............. I take a lot of pics when I ride so will keep them coming as best possible

But sadly, today was the first day back at work so will see how I go .............. now, if only I did not have to do this bloody work gig :lol: