An October ride to the Observatory

Excellent Adventures

Moderator: Waldorf

gco0307

An October ride to the Observatory

Post by gco0307 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:03 pm

Well I only just found out about this forum (thanks to the 'informant' :lol: ) so if ok I will post a few reports that have occurred over the last few months .

Just as with now back in late September I was 'encouraged' by work to take some holidays and having a bike that at the time had to few kms on the dial in the 6 months of ownership I had been waiting on the rain to stop and the water to subside a little to try to add some kms.

So it was that I woke and decided that I would go out for a short ride with the intention being to spend 2 maybe 3 hours out as I had not ridden for long periods of time for many years (worked it out to be near 2009).

So it was to be that I decided to head towards Geurie and take Coomabella Road onto the sealed Cobbora Road with the intention to just take a 'right turn/left turn' type of approach to the day, although as mentioned to keep it closer to home.

Looking back towards Geurie

I know a lot of people don't like sealed roads but the bike is still to new and there is something about a nice straight undulating road.

Followed the sealed Cobbora Road to the Golden Highway and headed right thinking to myself that I may head to Dunedoo and then just take the back roads to Gulgong then cut across through 12 Mile Road ....... I was wrong. Instead of hitting Dunedoo I decided to turn left at Cobbora onto (another) Cobbora Road as last time I was on this road 4 years or so ago, I lost (but then found) the number plate from my old DR and I had a desire to finish the road.

So onto another Cobbora Road it was to be to see where it woudl take me, although I did have an idea that it woudl take me to the Castlereagh Highway from prior planning.

Looking back down Cobbora Road at the direction travelled

A bit further along the road it became a bit lightly rutted, a sure sign that probably only a week before it was a bit softer and probably underwater.

The pic doesn't do justice to the ruts which, whilst not deep were all over so it was a case of pick teh line and stick to it.

Looking back down the road. The water behind the bike was (as one would expect) teeming with mosquitoes.

After a few more kms the Cobbora Road merged with the Castlereagh Highway and it was here where my sensoe of visiting Dunedoo took a major change as rather than head right, I decided to head left towards Mendooran for no real reason other than I was enjoying myself.

A small distance down the road I saw the sign for Merrygoen Road but decided nope, pass on that and keep going, only to change my mind a few hundred metres later and take a road called Beni Crossing Road. Having taken the road the first thing I saw was a sign that stated 'River Crossing may be closed during flood events', which given the rain that had been around made me wonder what I would find ahead, but it did not stop me as I figured that there is no harm in turning around, and so it was onwards.

The road was a good mix with a small level railway crossing and after a few minutes I found the river, and it was not flooded although evidence suggests that it may have been

A little of the rubbish banked back against the crossing

It may have even gone over the top

Looking upstream of the Castlereagh River

Had never been here, nice spot

Looking downstream

After a drink and enjoying the spot I remounted and headed off along the road a little further before it merged with Mendooran Road which is where my mind got made up and I decided that the 2 - 3 hour ride was a thing of the past and it would be off to the Warrumbungles.

Now, I have to admit and say that Mendooran Road is not that exciting, perhaps I may even call most of it boring were it not for the views but it is a good condition road that meets the Newell Highway a few kms from Coonabarabran where I was headed for a refuel.

From Coonabarabran I headed down Timor Road towards the Siding Springs observatory and have to admit that this is another good enjoyable road as it undulates lightly with further good views and point of interest as you spot the observatory stuck on the ridge.

This is along the way

With these around as well

Have to get pics of the bike

A little further along is the entry road to the observatory which was immense fun, if slow but still immense fun with tight turns and a relatively decent surface.

The observatory

One of the views - fully plan to return and spend more time.

From here it was back down the hill and rather than return to Coonabarabran I decided to turn right and head through the national park towards Tooraweenah. This road is a fun road albeit in need of care when ridden as whilst it undulates nicely with some beautiful corners, the surface is dodgy with loose gravel in mid corner to keep you awake and alert and eyes on the road as the views and rock formations are eye catching.

After a while you emerge from the national park (which has some good riverside camping for those so inclined) and start out onto the flatter farmlands west of the Warrumbungles where the roads are flatter, the corners less but for me, the views as interesting as you spy the mountains in the background, off to your right, maybe the left or simply enjoy the countryside.

Views like this - looking back from teh turn to Tooraweenah

There is a dirt road to the left behind the bike but it was closed due to flood damage so could not be used

A little further along this road, past two dead snakes I saw a sign that said 'Emu Jerky, turn left 500 metres' which did get the attention even if I am no fan of Jerky

Eventually I came across Emu Logic Emu farm

Never even heard of Emu farming so will be doing some research and probably revisiting

Continuing on through Tooraweenah I saw this little platform to the right (well ok, the sign saying 'Warrumbungles viewing platform helped) and have to admit, it is a good viewing spot.

Just down the road I crossed the highway again and started on another dirt road, only because the sign said Mendooran mind you as I knew that was in the direction I wanted to head (the Highway was headed to Gilgandra and I did not feel much like highway). This was a wide open road with variable surface but in really good condition so was fun given that I am still on the original trailwings running road pressures.

I have a collection of bugs on the screen - this Strom is a true bug killer

Now, to this point I had ridden around an hour and not seen another vehicle moving in that time although had seen some parked and whilst here, three cars came (2 from one direction) so I thought what the heck and collected a pic (all slowed until I gave them the thumbs up that all was ok)

This was fun, real fun this road and I kept heading to Mendooran but as is usual when I ride, I saw a side road and thought why not, so it was off onto Bearbong Road where I found this beside the road (after first finding pieces of tyre)

A little further along was evidence of lost crops and whilst this farmer was lucky that much of his Canola had survived, as can be seen the damage is extensive if you are unfortunate enough.

An with that, the direction remaining.

That was to be the last pic as from here it was following Bearbong Road which ended at the Castlereagh Highway where I decided to turn right towards Gilgandra and slab it back to Dubbo (had to get bread :D ).

Eventually I opened my gate to put the bike away near 7 hours after leaving home so have to admit that I was gone for a little longer than planned but man it was good to be back and able to do decent days (7 hours, 410 kms)

Plan is for more of them as I do need to get the mileage up .......

1coolbanana

Re: An October ride to the Observatory

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:18 pm

Fantastic mate, it all seems like great riding out that way :thumb:
Thanks for posting up your ride :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

darren

Post by darren » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 pm

great report mate
I love it up that way. I was up Sliding Springs for the open day this year with my family, very interesting.
thanks for posting
I'm not a team player..

Keep Taking Money

Wodger63

Post by Wodger63 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:22 am

Great ride report mate.
Makes me want to go out and get lost.