Granya Hotel

Excellent Adventures

Moderator: Waldorf

Redback

Granya Hotel

Post by Redback » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:12 am

Nes and I were pretty keen for a ride as we both had a long weekend coming up and the opportunity came up to go to the newly re-opened Granya Hotel in Granya VIC right on the Murray River, it's an area I have enjoyed visiting both in the car and on the bike since the 70s(yes I'm old)

The plan was to enjoy the ride down and take our time to get there, we went down to Jamberoo up Jamberoo mountain road to Robertson, Bundanoon, Wingelo, pop out onto the Hume at Marulan then the backway through to Bungandore, Queenbeyan, Canberra and then for our first night the High Country Motel at Cooma.

The forcast for Friday was strong winds with guts of up to 120kph and for the most part it wasn't to bad until the Cooma Rd, the amount of time we spent riding at 45deg angle was bloody scary and it didn't let up even when in the main street of Cooma and you would believe it as we turned up the street the motel was in, the wind stopped :wtf:

Next morning gone by 7.00am, stopping along the way with lunch opposite the Tooma Inn, then the River road(dirt) to Jinjelic, into Walwa for fuel and then the tar to Granya, our plan was to camp out the back, but the owner gave us an old demount-able room beside the Pub, so we threw our swags out in there, certain was warmer in there.
IMG_2374 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2381 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2383 - Copy.JPG
The night at Granya was great, food was good, fire was awesome and we met some great people, we chatted until I was to tied to stay up, it was for me a long 2 days, I hadn't ridden that far for 20 odd years so I retired early well for me anyway.

Next morning we were woken up by some of the guys going really early, which was good in a way, gave us time to pack up slowly and have some breakfast that the Pub cooked up for us, said our farewells with the obligatory photo out the front of the pub and we set off.

All up a great weekend, Ness enjoyed herself as did I and it was a great ride down and back, we took the Wymah ferry across the river and we did the dirt all the way to Tooma stopping at Jinjelic and Tooma for a cuppa and lunch at Adaminaby and onto Cooma for the night, then home Monday, no wind this time.
IMG_2387 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2386 - Copy.JPG
IMG_2390 - Copy.JPG
I highly recommend a stay at the Granya Hotel the owner is a great bloke and also the High Country Motel in Cooma, good facilities and cheap too, I would however go to the Royal Hotel for food, it's only a 5min walk from the Motel and the food is pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers Baz.

2006 R1200GS.....1973 H2-A Kawasaki 750

1coolbanana

Re: Granya Hotel

Post by 1coolbanana » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:23 am

Geezz, the old hotel looks like its seen better days :lol:
Cowabunga dudes .......

Andrew2

Post by Andrew2 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:21 am

Was that the ADV get together earlier this year?. Looks cold :lol: :lol: .

Redback

Post by Redback » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Yep could do with a paint job, apparently it sat idle for 15 year or so after the Re-hab centre closed and the new owner bought it to turn it into a B&B
(wifes idea) then she buggared off so he applied to re-licence it and was approved, so set out to reopen it, cleaned up the inside and there it is.

Yes and yes Andrew, ADV meet, -5deg, we had dinner with Russ and his wife, nice couple and his mad mate, quite a character.
Cheers Baz.

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Sounds like ya had a good time.

We were up that way last year for the Moto GP. We took the scenic route from Adelaide.

We stayed at the Jinjelic for 3 nights and went out on day trips along some of the dirt roads in the area.

Crossed the ferry and had lunch at Granya, looks like a popular spot for bikes. There were quite a few there when we were.

Then went to Mt Beauty, Omeo and Dargo, mostly on dirt. Ended up at Fish Creek before heading to Philip Island.

Great riding in those parts. We will be back for some more on our Big Lap.
Dave

Image 2005 R1200GS D.L.R.A.

Redback

Post by Redback » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:44 am

Now that sounds like an awesome trip Dave, it is lovely around the high country and the area around Fish is amazing also.
Cheers Baz.