GPS vs Maps

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

SOCO Benny

Post by SOCO Benny » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 am

Hello everybody,

Please allow me to add my thoughts.

I recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx (part number 010-00422-00) via USA eBay. I did the old 'Buy Now' and paid US$350 + US45 P&P. The Oz dollar conversion rate was at about 91c/$, so the unit was significantly cheaper than one bought in Australia. I did a lot of research online before I took the plunge and bought with "$savingdeals". There are a couple of major home dealers in GPS so it pays to shop around. I asked lots of questions to get a feel for the dealer.

The unit (new not reconditioned) has the US base map data set loaded. I was able to obtain a copy of the original purchase receipt and that is all Garmin requires honoring the 12 month warranty.

I needed a routable mapping pack and bought the City navigator Australia 2008 package. It is a bit expensive, but I figure it is a one off purchase and the wife can use it round town if needed.

I am very happy with the 60CSx unit and have successfully navigated quite a few trail rides in the Millmerran, Ravensbourne, Murphy's Creek and Killarney forestry areas. I also use it to make 'tracks' whilst doing the Dalby Moto sponsored trail rides. (http://www.dalbymoto.com.au).

I have fitted the GPS to my Suzuki DRZ-400E enduro bike with a Garmin Handlebar Mount system (190-00330-02). I had to buy the larger bar mount adapter as well. I had replaced the standard Suzuki bars with alloy ones and the standard mount was 1mm too small in diameter.

I have mounted the bracket in the centre of the bars, it does not cover the speedo display too much and is very easy to operate and view whilst on the move. I have dropped the bike a few times whilst doing enduro rides and the GPS has not once come off the bracket or bike. One such crash was at 40km/h into a fence post!

I have also mounted a 12v cigarette lighter type power supply. I ran a loom directly from the battery, left hand side of bike behind the seat, to behind the headlight mounting plastic. For extra electrical protection I added an inline fuse. The lighter socket has a drain hole in the bottom incase any water seeps into it. When not in use I stick one of those plastic safe covers for 240v power sockets into the top opening. Those are the ones you put in kids rooms power points etc. This fits firmly in the 12v socket and stops any water getting in.

I have posted a couple of photographs showing my mount and electrical system at this link:

http://www.users.on.net/~lilypily/GPS%20Mount.htm

All in all I am very happy with the 60CSx, I also do a bit of geocaching and find the unit very accurate even whilst under heavy trees, thick undergrowth and in the built up city areas. A 60CS unit would more than adequately do most people; I just wanted the extra stuff to cover my needs. I found that the difference in pricing for the 60CSx unit compared to the 60Cs was negligible.

Regards, SOCO Benny.

maccaoz

Garmin

Post by maccaoz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:34 am

Gay Benny
Thanks for the info.very interesting.After some 8000 km in the last two months,much of it looking for lost roads(I'm not lost,the road is)the time has come to get a GPS.
I have just started to research the subject and the Garmin brand comes up again and again.Is there any particular reason that the Garmin(60cx?0is so suitable for motorcycle use over other brands such as TomTom.I am completely in the dark on the GPS thing so this is the starter question to set me on the path of knowledge.
Regards, Macca[/b]

Hardhead

Garmin

Post by Hardhead » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:59 pm

Hi Macca,
Been looking at a few different GPS myself and the Map60 seems to be one of the most common ones around for offroad riders. A few people have mentioned the Rhino 520 as well. Mainly because it has the same functionality as the 60CS and a built in UHF radio as well. I am told the Rhino 520 doesn't have any memory expansion slots but the new model coming out shortly (530 me thinks) will have that option. Another thing to think of with the Rhino as a lot of people tend to buy from the USA. The radio frequency range for UHF in the US is different to the ones used in OZ.

Cheers

SOCO Benny

Post by SOCO Benny » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Macca and Hardhead (interesting name)

At work we have one each of a Garmin and a TomTom GPS. The TomTom has a touch screen but is very unfriendly when it comes to mapping data. The Garmin has a huge range of maps available be they for street navigation or in the bush.

I have just downloaded the Shonkymaps (http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/) set for Australia. It is a 340Mg download but well worth the trouble. I have loaded the maps to my computer for view in the Garmin MapSource software and my 60CSx GPS. On the GPS I am able to select which map sets I want to view. I also have the City Navigator Australia 2008 maps on the GPS and can flick from one to the other depending on what detail I need. The Shonkymaps is not a routeable maps set so for navigation you may need to but a commercial package. You can just follow the terrain displayed on the GPS or generate a track on your computer, upload that track to the GPS and the follow the track. I have been very impressed with the Shonkymaps package. Being a software junkie I have tried most GPS software available from the net!

I just had a quick look at the Garmin (www.garmin.com) web site. The Rhino 520HCx and 530HCx appear to be identical units with the exception that the new 530HCx has an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter. Both units have microSD card facilities, all the other specs look the same.

Cheers, Harry.

:)

YZF250

shonkymaps

Post by YZF250 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi dave i am looking at purchasing a 60CX myself also, with the shonky maps you have on the screen shots would it be possible to post the area Hampton, New South Wales, there are a lot of firetrails out that way and very easy to get lost and just wondering if these dirt trails show up before i buy the unit. Cheers for that. regards Wayne

SOCO Benny

Post by SOCO Benny » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:41 pm

YZF250

I have taken the liberty of capturing a couple of images for the Hampton NSW area using Shonkymaps v3.51 this is the latest version.

I hope these help.

Harry

Hardhead

Post by Hardhead » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 am

SOCO Benny wrote:Hi Macca and Hardhead (interesting name)

At work we have one each of a Garmin and a TomTom GPS. The TomTom has a touch screen but is very unfriendly when it comes to mapping data. The Garmin has a huge range of maps available be they for street navigation or in the bush.

I have just downloaded the Shonkymaps (http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/) set for Australia. It is a 340Mg download but well worth the trouble. I have loaded the maps to my computer for view in the Garmin MapSource software and my 60CSx GPS. On the GPS I am able to select which map sets I want to view. I also have the City Navigator Australia 2008 maps on the GPS and can flick from one to the other depending on what detail I need. The Shonkymaps is not a routeable maps set so for navigation you may need to but a commercial package. You can just follow the terrain displayed on the GPS or generate a track on your computer, upload that track to the GPS and the follow the track. I have been very impressed with the Shonkymaps package. Being a software junkie I have tried most GPS software available from the net!

I just had a quick look at the Garmin (www.garmin.com) web site. The Rhino 520HCx and 530HCx appear to be identical units with the exception that the new 530HCx has an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter. Both units have microSD card facilities, all the other specs look the same.

Cheers, Harry.

:)
Hi guys

Yep you're right the Garmin website does list the Rino 520 and 530 as having Micro SD memory facilities. I was going by the Jonny Appleseed website (www.ja-gps.com.au) who lists only the 520 and it only has 56 MB internal memory. I think this is the version available in OZ at the moment with the newer models (with Micro SD) coming later in the year.

Cheers

YZF250

Hampton

Post by YZF250 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:59 pm

SOCO, thanks heaps for that, I went out and brought one today, so i will download the maps tonight, looks like i will have an excuse for the missus to go out riding this weekend.
cheers wayne

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:57 pm

Note that the Rino 520 and Rino 520HCx are different models

US models transmit on different radio frequencies and currently the Australian version of the Rino 520 is the only model approved for use here

Steady Eddy

Post by Steady Eddy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi Lance
I had a quick fang aroud the Pink Lakes, Desert Country Park, last Sunday and was following some tyre tracks(4 sets ?) it must have been you guys. I wish I had the Garmin, all I had was the parks map leaflet. I am looking to get a Zumo and look forward to hearing your report first.
Keep up the good work.

Cheers Ed

07 Dakar