GPS vs Maps

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

Dave

GPS vs Maps

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:10 pm

Well, I've always been a Maps & Compass guy, but after installing a 60CX on my KLR I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Just amazing to have detailed maps of the entire country on one device with a scale down to four wheel drive tracks and trails. Plan routes the night before,ride,record waypoints of interest during the ride and then analyse the tracks later and share with others.

Any way of sharing these tracks through this website? Could make for an interesting database.

Cheers,
Dave

trevor122

Post by trevor122 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:42 pm

I have been looking at GPS on ebay since I read this post.
Is there any advantage in a 60CSX versus a 60CX?
What holder did you purchase?
I live in Adelaide but have a weekender in Peterborough (Near Flinders Ranges)
Just bought an 92 XR600RN (Big Tank etc) (See Honda Post, thats the bike) and am keen to explore the tracks and trails in the surrounding area.
I understand it is loaded as std with Australian Map etc.
Are these pretty comprehensive down to dirt road level?
Thanks for any assistance you can give me.
Cheers
Trevor

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:24 pm

The 60CSX advantage isn't worth the extra expense, only additional features are electronic compass and barometric altimeter. 60CX gives altitude from satellites and I prefer to keep a real compass in my pocket.

Holder, I purchased the Garmin MKT34 from these guys http://www.ja-gps.com.au ($35) very strong bit of kit, holds the unit well, just loop the wrist cord around the bars for added piece of mind, easy to just clip the GPS on and off when you leave the bike. You'll also need to purchase a 12v power cord and replace the cigarette lighter type with a Powerlet plug (buy them at Super Cheapautos for $15 they call it a thermo plug or something) of course you'll also need to install a Powerlet socket somewhere if your bike doesn't come with one.

As for maps you have a few options, basically there are city maps and Track/Trail maps. I don't have the need for city maps so skipped that step altogether but if it's a feature you need with auto routing then you'll need to pay up $269 for the Garmin City Navigator.

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/maps_citynavigaust.html

For Tracks and Trails you can go with Tracks4Australia which is very good and free! Or the commercial version ZTopo V2 $229

There is also a good community source of free city and tracks/trails maps (though these don't support auto routing) at http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/foru ... y.php?f=55

Currently I'm only using ShonkyMaps, which covers tracks and trails for all of Australia, so far working very well.

If your interested in what the ShonkyMaps or Tracks4Australia look like for the bush let me know a track/location your familar with and I'll post some screenshots from the mapsource database.

Cheers,
Dave

trevor122

Post by trevor122 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Thanks Dave.
Sounds like the 60CX is the go.
Checked on ebay today and price seems to be around mid $400
My XR has a heavily modified loom so no battery etc.
I would have to use rechargeable batteries.
If you can put up a couple of screenshots of Blinman to Parachilna in the Flinders that would be great.
Thanks again Dave
Cheers
Trevor

steve

Post by steve » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:56 pm

Trevor,

Be a bit wary of the $400 price, I think you will find they are grey imports. Also theres a bloke in tas selling reworked faulty units which arent covered by warranty from garmin.

only issues with grey imports is that they dont have aussie basemaps ( cant zoom out beyond a certain level ) and warranty repairs will be a problem. they can be loaded with correct basemap but this usually puts them near normal price for an aussie one.

I have Mapsource city navigator and find it does pretty well off road but also use tracks 4 aus to fill in the blanks (rarely use it).

Steve

al247

batery for trev

Post by al247 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:04 pm

ive used a 12v fully sealed battery wich can be charge at home and will run gps/phone anything 12v for days the more amps/hr the battery the longer the charge will last you can buy these from supercheap/dicksmith/jaycar . ive used one in my backpack to run helmetcams
gps draw verry little power.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:54 pm

steve wrote:Trevor,

only issues with grey imports is that they dont have aussie basemaps ( cant zoom out beyond a certain level ) and warranty repairs will be a problem. they can be loaded with correct basemap but this usually puts them near normal price for an aussie one.

I have Mapsource city navigator and find it does pretty well off road but also use tracks 4 aus to fill in the blanks (rarely use it).

Steve
With all respect, but I don't agree the Australian retail price of around $700 for the same unit that can be had for around $350 can be justified just because it has City Navigator which other for auto routing in cities isn't any use outside main metro areas.

There is no zoom problem with my unit, first I've heard of that. And as for warranty issues it's covered by Garmin.

I wouldn't rush to buy a unit from some seller in China, but mine came through a Aus dealer in Sydney that had some imported from States where the same unit sells for around $270 USD.

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by Dave on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:04 pm

Trev,

Nice area to play in, I've gone over the maps so on display we have..

City Navigator: ($260) or free with some Aus Garmin Units as base map.
Tracks4Australia: Free
ShonkyMaps: Free

City Navigator 2008

Tracks4Australia

Shonky Topo

Now zoomed 1.5km (can zoom to 20 meters) into the Flinders.

Tracks4Australia

Shonky Topo

I haven't been able to gain a copy of the new ZTopo V2 but even it doesn't have as much information as Shonky on water stations and single tracks. As I think it's really designed for campers and four wheeldrives.

Anyway easy choice when it comes to Maps for Aus the best ones are generated by the community and free.

Cheers,
Dave

trevor122

Post by trevor122 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for all your input guys.
Much appreciated.
Looks like there is plenty of free maps available, Tacks4australia and Shonky will do the job.
Thanks Dave for posting the screenies.
My brother and I plan to do a ride out from Parachilna to Arkaroola and back mid winter.
If I am up to speed by then I will log it and post it if anyone is interested.
Appreciate the feedback on grey imports etc.
I saw the fella from tasmania advertising but I think he advertised as New and offered a return service if faulty.
But ebay being ebay that could very well mean refurbished.
Anyway thanks again all.
Cheers
Trev

steve

Post by steve » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:19 am

Dave and everyone.

Re my earlier post and basemaps, sorry I got myself confused with the basemaps and zoom issue, this is for the magellan units not the garmin ones. only issue apart from warranty and repairs is the software one, if you want automapping then you will hafta go for the city navigator software which will cost money. for free stuff tracks for aus and shonky maps are pretty good.

Re the bloke in tassie, do a search, as on one of the gps companies websites is a reference to him. Yes within warranty period he will replace, however if something goes wrong out of warranty you will have a hard time getting it fixed.

I also agree that we get charged too much in Aus for things and importing yourself can be a good thing, its just that you should be informed of what people are trying to do to stop you doing so and take it into consideration when spending a decent amount of your hard earned.