Garmin zumo 550 ???

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

1coolbanana

Re: Garmin zumo 550 ???

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 am

gravelsurfer wrote: I may be riding on the correct track/fire trail but the 550 thinks the road is 20 metres to the right. When I arrive at an intersection the Garmin is as confused and disorientated as I am. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I not plotting enough waypoints? Any advice would be appreciated.....

Pretty normal with all GPS's.
Its not the GPS that has the problem, they are extremely accurate, generally the accuracy is within meters and the Zumo is one of the more accurate units.
Its the maps that are the problem.
The accuracy of the maps especially for non suburban areas is a little poor.

If you have a look in google maps in satellite view (turn on roads) and find yourself something like for example Howes trail and Yengo or Blackfellows hand trail, zoom in and see how far out it shows the road from the actual trail.
Youll see what I mean easily.

I was travelling up Thunderbolts the other day and the road to the map was 100m off in spots :?

Hope that helps :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

Farcall

Post by Farcall » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Agree 100% with the cool one. :wave:

Some tracks over here (WA) are km's out! One that comes to mind is the Hyden-Norseman Rd. Oztopo plots the old road only which doesn't exist anymore. Bit of a guess, but the new road has been in for 10 years or more and is a very very frequently used short cut to Perth for light vehicles travelling east coast/west coast... but nowhere to be seen on Oztopo :?

Generally though, I find Oztopo pretty good but like 1CB I do a lot of cross-referencing with Google Earth before heading out (even though GE's images can be quite old too :crazy: )

joe_anderson

Post by joe_anderson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:50 pm

I also want a GPS for the bike? Anyone used the new Strike Genius GPS yet? The Strike Genius Motorcycle GPS is coming out next month. Includes the car mount for free in the box as well as the handlebar mount. At $499 I think it is a winner. suggestions required :crazy:

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:55 pm

joe_anderson wrote:I also want a GPS for the bike? Anyone used the new Strike Genius GPS yet? The Strike Genius Motorcycle GPS is coming out next month. Includes the car mount for free in the box as well as the handlebar mount. At $499 I think it is a winner. suggestions required :crazy:

Hey Joe
I have no experience with the Strike Genius Motorcycle GPS but, just make sure you can use topographic add on maps and that you can edit and create routes off the unit on your PC.
If your doing much "off the beaten track" then its absolutely essential.
I used to have a TomTom before the Garmin which I prefered but it was useless for anything offroad as you couldnt use any toppo maps.
The PC UI was also next to useless.
Unfortunately Garmin and Mapsource really have nailed a good system and no one else seems to have followed (copied) on for the offroad stuff.

Hope that helps :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

joe_anderson

Post by joe_anderson » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:50 pm

hello cool banana
thanks for your valuable reply

I really want to experiment strike. because I have experienced strike Q2 ( bluetooth technology for riders). But also want to know if someone already used strike gps. as $499 s still pretty expensive. :shock:

aace

Post by aace » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:42 pm

Yes I saw this at the gold coast. The sales guy showed me how you can record your track and then drop it into google earth and it shows speed, track etc. Pretty cool feature but $499 s still pretty expensive.