Garmin zumo 550 ???

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

Wayn'o

Garmin zumo 550 ???

Post by Wayn'o » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 am

One step away from buying the Zumo 550, but the more i read the reviews, there are some pretty neg feed back, considering the price - has anyone had one for a while & covered a few Km's on the dirt with it - would you still recommend it ?

olyflyer

Post by olyflyer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:11 pm

I have one bloody awesome dropped it at speed on the a rocky trail and just cosmetic injuries (scratches)

haven't had another gps so can't really compare to others but this does all i want it to and more

Clancy

Post by Clancy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:48 am

Almost the best single thing I've bought in a very long time. You won't regret buying one

Wayn'o

Post by Wayn'o » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Cheers for the feed back - its in the mail :D

Farcall

Post by Farcall » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:27 pm

Congrats. Good choice.

Grab yourself a 16gb SDHC card (max. the Zumo will read) and fill it with your fave MP3's. Sure helps when on the long bitumen transport sections :wink: .

mickie

Post by mickie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 am

hi
whats the best price you got the 550 for!!!

regards mickie

Wayn'o

ebay

Post by Wayn'o » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:35 pm

I ended up finding it on eBay - Ausluck - buy it now option, i got it for $848.00 + 20 for deliv. 2010 update for maps, has got the forest trails included...and was $100 cheaper than i could have got it from GARMN. very happy, took it for a solo ride from Coffs to Mt. Warning & back via the dirt & back roads - VERY happy.

1coolbanana

Re: ebay

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:01 am

Wayn'o wrote: took it for a solo ride from Coffs to Mt. Warning & back via the dirt & back roads - VERY happy.
Hi Wayno
Was that with standard maps or with topo's?
Cheers
Marc

Wayn'o

Post by Wayn'o » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:15 pm

That ride was with just the basic City Nav 2010 - but since got the topo maps - i got OZtopo V2.1, works well, but my mate also got the ZUMO & he bought the other version - Garmin's copy. the OZtopo is good, great, but it doesn't allow you to have the trails turned on & have it pre empt your route - ie; turn by turn nav. you can only have one or the other turned on at a time, which sucks. Apparently they are working on version 3 now - which will have that option available.

gravelsurfer

Re: Garmin zumo 550 ???

Post by gravelsurfer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Hi, I have had my 550 for about 18 months now. I use it mostly for music and phone interface, and occasionally to navigate. I bought the Garmin Topo software so it was more use to me offroad, however I have found that the course I have plotted and uploaded does not quite match the road in reality. In otherwords, I may be riding on the correct track/fire trail but the 550 thinks the road is 20 metres to the right. When I arrive at an intersection the Garmin is as confused and disorientated as I am. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I not plotting enough waypoints? Any advice would be appreciated.....
P.S anyone else going on the Hunter Valley Adventure Ride??