is the e trex any good!!(little yellow one)

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

mickie

is the e trex any good!!(little yellow one)

Post by mickie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 pm

hi all
before we start i have no clue on any thing to do with sat navs

all i need is a sat nav that i can lay down a track and reuse it and add to it, you see all i need is to go into the bush and find my way out again and add tracks as i come across them each time i go out so would the e trex H (little yellow one) do this!!

1,if i lay down a track one day can i add to that track another day!!(cant do all the tracks in one day)
2,can you follow any track that you have stored
3, what other good points does it have
4,whats a good mount to get to fix it on the bike

the etrex is only $130 at the moment and i am hoping its a good starting point to learn all about sat nav's

thanks guys mickd

steve

Post by steve » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 am

About to start using one as a tracking device only. It will be a while before I figure it out, what little I presume at the moment is that you will have to add the tracks together on your pc, you will probably have to use the garmin connect site and some sort of third party software or mapsource to join. Dont know if you can then shoot it back into the gps or not?

How much more are the proper gps's going for on fleabay??

mickie

Post by mickie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:22 pm

hi steve
the one that most peaple seem to be going for is the zumo 550 @ $900 ish, but with me knowing f@%&k all about sat navs will it be over kill
around here you can go for miles in the bush and i need to lay down trakes as i find them each time i go out and just keep adding to it as i go along but if that takes some time to load each time i will just put it back in the box and never use the thing again so i need it to be easy to use

mickie

steve

Post by steve » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:25 pm

Mickie,

A zumo would be absolutely useless for what you want, I was talking more allong these lines

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Garmin-GPS-76-Ha ... 286.c0.m14

steve

Post by steve » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Oh, and I think if your not going to take the time to figure it out then you are barking up the wrong tree. GPS is not easy and not perfect.

hahnelw

Post by hahnelw » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:10 am

Hi Steve,

Bought a Garmin 60csx a few weeks back and used it for a few rides since. Works well with the Garmin topo CD maps. You can set up the ride on your PC and upload it easily. You can also use it to record a track as you ride it and then upload and save it on the PC for the future. You can also backtrack to find your way out again if needed.

Just finished setting up a ride to the deserts of Central Australia via Mildura, Renmark, Dangalli, Yunta, Flinders Ranges, Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, etc etc.

Cheers

WH