How do you use your GPS

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

Hardhead

How do you use your GPS

Post by Hardhead » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:18 pm

I purchased a Garmin Quest a while back and have used it on a few rides but never really got the hang of how to use it properly. I use it in the car and it works fine in and around town but I have trouble getting the hang of using it in the bush.

I generally think about where I want to go, plan a route on the PC, transfer it to the GPS and then try to follow the directions.

I had a good ride planned for yesterday, about 400 or so km. As it turned out, a few of the "Roads" in my route turned out to be either dead ends or non existant.
I used Mapsource to plan the route and let the computer do the auto routing for me. I usually compare the route on Shonky maps to see if its all there as well.

Just wondering how others use their GPS.
I'm sure there are other (and better) ways to use a GPS

Cheers
Rob

mika03au

Post by mika03au » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:01 pm

I plan my treks using google maps and then give them a name, as a registered user you can save your planned maps on google and share them with others easily. Note this site has reference to some treks like the Bridle Track etc and you can save and download those routes as well.
I use a program to convert these google maps to Garmin language ( http://www.takitwithme.com/ ) and simply transfer these as routes into my GPS. I use map source to load the applicable background/base maps (normally shonkys). The GPS unit normally puts the two together to create the route/track to follow.
Hope this helps matey.

Hardhead

Post by Hardhead » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Cheers
Thanks for the tip.
I will give it a try for my next trip