Magellan Vs Garmin

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

mika03au

Magellan Vs Garmin

Post by mika03au » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:33 pm

Hmm, dilemma, the eXplorist XL or the 60csx?
Any advice on either of these two, which is better or worse and why.
Intended use is for forestry and national parks on the east coast for both GS type exploring/touring and true dirt bike (down to single track) riding.
I think either would be suited to off the beaten track riding with the appropriate topo plug in SDs but am after some thoughts from those who have them before I outlay my hard earned $$$.

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:01 pm

Both are good units.
I would use either Magellans DiscoverAus Topo or OZtopo for Garmin mapping with them.
If you are interested in the Magellan I would get in quick as they have just been discontinued.

Another unit to consider is the Garmin Oregon. This has a touchscreen but in a robust package.

You probably also want a RAM mount and a bare wire power cable

mika03au

Post by mika03au » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:16 pm

Thanks for the tips, I have heard the Magellan has the better maps, is that right?

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:07 pm

mika03au wrote:Thanks for the tips, I have heard the Magellan has the better maps, is that right?
DiscoverAus (Magellan) and OZtopo (Garmin) both use roads and tracks datasets from PSMA so they are pretty similar

mika03au

Post by mika03au » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Went the Garmin Oregon, seems to be working ok, the shonkys and oztopos are working a treat with it.
Just need to work out how to drive it a bit better and decipher what its showing me.
Used it on the on/off road trek to the snowy ride (from brisbane) this year, all good.
(except the ram mount cradle has cracked through the middle).
Worked out how to transfer the routes from my google maps to the machine, handy for preplanning.

GasgasLex

Re: Magellan Vs Garmin

Post by GasgasLex » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:33 pm

Well Ive just been on a deep south west forest ride and My Garmin Dakota20 worked without fault under the canopy of the tall timber of our South West even in my backpack it logged every millimeter of our 307 km day.
However my friend the leader of the days ride had a Magellan hand held unit which he frantically waved up to the gods hoping for a signal to no avail and got us lost on several occasions ( which is a pain when you have 23 riders behind you). :ne_nau:

My recomondation is use Garmin. ( bought mine from the fellas at GPSOZ and they have been very proffessional. Would recomend them no worries)
Gasgas :thumb: