Overcoming Discoveraus "Region" Size Limitations

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

DustyWheels

Overcoming Discoveraus "Region" Size Limitations

Post by DustyWheels » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:08 pm

The default "maximum" region size in DAST is 16384 KBytes

If you want to create a detail map larger than this you need to do some tweaking.

The following has been "Borrowed" from the GPS Australia Bulletin Board

There is a small file you will need to change in the Program Files/DiscoverAus install directory, to effect the "bigger than 64Meg" map making process!

You will need to look for the Magellan/DiscoverAus folder, and find a file called mapsend.ini

First up make a copy of mapsend.ini call it mapsend-old.ini or whatever makes you happy!

Open this file with a text editor....I use Wordpad because the formatting is clearer, but Notepad works too.

You need to look under the paragraph heading

[Device Defaults]
and look for the line that says.....

Conv_Memory_Size=262144
(ps. the number in red is what mine is set to....
your Conv memory size will be smaller, 16384 or whatever???)

You could just copy and past that figure/line into your mapsend.ini file...but it really is just a matter of mousing over the number and typing the 262.... number!

You don't really need to effect any other changes in mapsend.ini , but make sure you save the file, and DAST is not running while you ar doing any editing!

Now the next time you open DAST you can make a map as big as 256Megabytes in size...from memory NSW should be about 64 megs..
If you don't always need such a large sized map of the state, for everyday driving, you could make one of Xmeg of an area you may find yourself travelling in and around!
This helps to make "map draw" rates on the GPS screen faster...
ie. smaller map faster GPS map screen ![/quote]
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Upping the sizes will noticably slow down the re-draw rate

Also, running in 'track up' mode will give slow re-draw

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:53 pm

If you don't always need such a large sized map of the state, for everyday driving, you could make one of Xmeg of an area you may find yourself travelling in and around!
This helps to make "map draw" rates on the GPS screen faster...
ie. smaller map faster GPS map screen !

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

MELONHEAD

Post by MELONHEAD » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks for the tip Mudrat. I have a Magellan Meridian Colour that I use for adventure riding and trail riding. I have now been able to create a map file for each state instead of needing multiple maps for some states. This makes life much easier when covering large distances as I only need to change maps when I change states. I have not noticed a major decrease in re-draw rates and am very happy with the size modification. Thanks again for the tip.

:D :D
2017 KTM 1090 Adventure R, 2003 KTM 640 Adventure, 2014 KTM 250 EXC, DT 175 shooting bike and 3 mountain bikes.

He who dies with the most toys will have his will contested.

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 pm

no problem Melon, that the great thing about sites like this, be able to share your tips and tricks. :)

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -