how long do you gps systems last?

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

john950

how long do you gps systems last?

Post by john950 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:44 pm

What brand gps for a offroad bike lasts?,i got a 60csx which is been good for the last few years but my eyesight makes it a punish to look at.I got a garmin 550 which was better to look at while riding/stationary but it failed,bit broke off internally and it doesnt work anymore,has anyone had experience with any other brands of gps that will handle oz maps and last well?,just after a basic/robust unit with a decent size screen/display.

1coolbanana

Re: how long do you gps systems last?

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Mate, I think your stuck between a rock and a hard place.
The Garmin Zumo 550 is still probably the most robust unit out there.
It has the best maping and routing possibilities too.
Its a shame yours has let you down but I think that would be the minority.
Ive been flogging mine for years (but I do look after it as well) and only recently the screen has some odd spots on it.
Ive been quoted $60 to fix it.
If it fails completely, you used to be able to trade them in for a new one for $300.
Im not sure if that offer is still on the table.

Im tempted to take up that offer as Ive not found anything better to date.

Sorry if I havent really helped but for what we do, there arent many options out there :ne_nau:
Cowabunga dudes .......

john950

Post by john950 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks Marc,The 550 was a second hand unit and has been dropped so maybe that didint help,will look into getting it repaired.Looks like your getting some hot weather down your way.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:23 pm

john950 wrote:Thanks Marc,The 550 was a second hand unit and has been dropped so maybe that didint help,will look into getting it repaired.Looks like your getting some hot weather down your way.
Yeah, 41 today :shock:
That sucks, too hot to ride, too hot to play in the shed :(
Cowabunga dudes .......

Kraj

Post by Kraj » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:37 pm

I've got a Garmin Montana 650, had it about a year now. Nice big screen and comes loaded with Aus and NZ topo map. Garmin do a rugged mount so you can run power to it, about the only negative is that it doesn't have blu tooth.

Cheers

Aaron

scottomcgotto

Post by scottomcgotto » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:37 am

I'm tossing up between the Montana and the 550 myself. There was the fleeting thought if sticking an iPad mini in one of the sea to summit dry pouches and coming up with a way to mount it on some vibration absorbing foam/rubber on the tank, but even though it would be a cheaper and more versatile option, I doubt it would last beyond the first drop of the bike, which I'm sure the Montana and 550 would.