Ebay bought GPS, are they any good.

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

drussdog

Ebay bought GPS, are they any good.

Post by drussdog » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:58 pm

Looking at buying a GPS off ebay or like web site.

has anyone experiance the joy/pain of doing so? any feedback.

I have seen some real cheap ones from OS but i like the idea of an Australian based importer in case of problems.

A Garmin GPSMAP® 60CSX for around $300 seems a good price, but does not have aussie maps loaded. Is that a bargin or will i get ripped off?

any advice would be great

Drussdog.

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:58 pm

I bought My Magellan Sportrak Map on ebay in the US about 3 yrs ago saved about $200.

Be aware that if You get one from OS it will be loaded with the US base map, but I'm led to believe it can be removed and the Aussie one load.
But have never done it myself. mine only has the inbiult memory so I can only load small maps file at a time :x
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

trevor122

Post by trevor122 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 pm

I bought my Garmin GPSmap CX60 off ebay for $350.00.
It didnt have the Aussie maps but I use Shonkymaps and tracks4australia which are free anyway.
Funny thing is the same day it was delivered I was advised by ebay that the seller had been deregistered and I should endevour to get my money back etc etc.
It works fine and as I have a TomTom in the car anyway Im not fussed about the Aussie Maps.
The Garmin is fine for navigating around the Flinders Ranges which is where i ride.
I guess its the old buyer beware.
Cheers
Trev

drussdog

Post by drussdog » Thu May 01, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks for the advice guys, buyer beware is what i am worried about but. I'll do some more research into the maps before i buy.

Drussdog

steve

Post by steve » Thu May 01, 2008 12:14 pm

I bought second hand off ebay, am very happy.

Can I suggest you decide what type of gps first, this decision will be made by the type of riding. then look into what software you need and proceed from there.

As I understand if you go the magellans you dont need base software. if you go the more road style garmins with self routing and turn by turn you really want something with aus specific software. I wouldnt buy something unless this was included.

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Thu May 01, 2008 9:01 pm

steve wrote: Can I suggest you decide what type of gps first, this decision will be made by the type of riding. then look into what software you need and proceed from there.

remember to that someone somewhere will have the software your after and is usually willing to "share"

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

LWS

Post by LWS » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Hi all,
I purchased a Garmin Legend from the US on Ebay. Saved heaps and it came with the Australian maps loaded. it works a treat and is water proof (yes it has been for a swim). If some one can explain how to post pics i can shown how it is mounted on the trusty XR600[/img]

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:01 am

pics need to be hosted in a third part Site like Photobucket, then just copy the link to your pic, into your post.

best mount you can get is the ram mount bought OS for $55 posted.

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

edge

Post by edge » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:01 pm

mudrat wrote:pics need to be hosted in a third part Site like Photobucket, then just copy the link to your pic, into your post.

best mount you can get is the ram mount bought OS for $55 posted.
I like the touratech one it locks so you dont have to take the unit off every time you go into a shop or pay for fuel