QUESTION

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

gazza65

QUESTION

Post by gazza65 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:56 am

Gday all im looking at buying a GPS can I buy one with all the dirt tracks all ready down loaded in it :?: :pray: there is

backtodirt

Re: QUESTION

Post by backtodirt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:16 pm

gazza, not one that i know of out there that has all maps already loaded, I just picked up this: http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/rino-650-gps-uhf-radio/ I then went on to this interwebby thing, ordered a topographic map of aus/NZ, card arrived stuck it in the back and voila dirt tracks abound :dance:

take a look here too as this seems to be free?? is it to good to be true? not sure but will also be testing this one in the rhino this weekend
http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

good luck!
Dr650 til death do us part!
Jeremy

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:27 pm

You can:- http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/ but its probably not going to meet your needs.

Be aware that our mapping in Aus is pretty poor and there will be plenty or roads that arent where they're meant to be, dont exist, arent on the GPS, have been unused so long they are impassable. That being said if you are aware of the pitfalls they are a great tool, which will unfortunately probably take a fair bit of time to figure out.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:30 pm

Jeremy,

Have used shonkymaps as well as the free T4A, both aren't too bad but aren't as polished as the commercial products with auto routing and track names on just about all tracks.

backtodirt

Post by backtodirt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:19 pm

thought it might be the case steve, have also tried mud maps on the iphone but geez didn't that get us lost, some vvvery old tracks on that one
Dr650 til death do us part!
Jeremy

steve

Post by steve » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Never tried mudmaps. Before I ran out of room on my card I ran Shonky and T4A as well, came in handy because sooner or later only one of them who show the track you are on.

gazza65

Post by gazza65 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:27 pm

thankyou Back to dirt and Steve go anywhere man :thumb: i might wait until next time we all get together and have a look at all the different types that are being used the most common problem that im hearing is guys are buying them and when they try and down load state forest and national parks maps its imposible :think: :ear: :ne_nau:

Hoyks

Post by Hoyks » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:06 pm

I have a Magellan eXplorist 510 and the maps on it are quite detailed, older Magellan products were rubbish. It even has walking tracks marked. The only down side is the size of the screen.
KLR devotee.

gazza65

Post by gazza65 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Thankyou hoyks were the maps already on there or did you down load them :?:

Eagle`02

Post by Eagle`02 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I run a $200 ALDI GO CRUISE to navigate and it works fine almost everywhere I go :D

My older Garmin Map76 runs Mapsource that I got with it and it is crap offroad, but,,,

I do run the SHONKY LOGIC full topo on that unit as a backup and it is terrific as far as detail & tracks go :dance:
I also use the Shonky maps in my pc to plan routes, mark them in and then print and laminate maps or just sections that I need, that I can stick in my tankbag for any tricky intersections etc :wink: Comes in handy
It would have to be the best free one out there for sure ,,,,,,
2010 KTM 690R