Recommended repairer for 550 zumo?

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

john950

Recommended repairer for 550 zumo?

Post by john950 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:44 pm

My 550 has stopped working,can hear a rattle in it if shaken,who has had experience getting a repair done on a 550?Thanks

john950

Re: Recommended repairer for 550 zumo?

Post by john950 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Ockerstrom wrote:Never had one apart but if it stopped working while on a ride then perhaps a bump has dislodged a fuse inside the unit [not sure if they have an internal fuse but many electronic things do].

If it is not under warranty it may be worth seeing if you can open the casing and see what is rattling.

I'm about to pull an Aldi Go Cruise unit apart, I was given two that didn't work- managed to get one going so far and still yet to look at the second one.
I have the handle bar mount for one but need to scrounge a second mount for my other bike.
Thanks for the reply,the torx screws a realy small that hold it together,might have to source one from somewhere,.......yep the rattle does sound like one a fuse would make :lol:

Hoyks

Post by Hoyks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:07 am

I got a replaceable tip jewelers screwdriver* set from Bunnings that contained a whole bunch of standard and security type tips. It has let me pull apart a multitude of electronic devices and even get most of them back together again :D .

Have you contacted the supplier and asked about repairs through their agent?

I did it when my Magellan died. It was 2 years out of warranty and I got charged a $60 service fee, but I sent it in anyway in the hope it could be easily revived.

3 weeks later a brand new latest model GPS turned up in it's place with Warranty Swapout on the invoice. You might get lucky.

*It also got used on the broken GPS, but don't tell anybody :shh:
KLR devotee.

Hoyks

Post by Hoyks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:36 pm

Before customer service was crap when the local distributor ran things, but Magellan have recently been taken over by NavMan, so it looks like they are actually taking the product support side of things seriously.
KLR devotee.

john950

Post by john950 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Got the 550 apart,thanks to local jewler who had a small torx scew set,found the rattle was a battery(watch type) that had broken out of its position,doesnt look look like a easy fix,battery is fixed by some sort of bonding,and has broken some contact points out,so i will send it to a expert for repair,thanks for your feedback gentlemen!,both a garmin and a spot tracker both went u/s within a few hours of each other.