1st time GPS Buyer

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

plindz

1st time GPS Buyer

Post by plindz » Sat May 28, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi all
Looking at getting my first GPS either the Zumo 550 or 660 - any info would help. :thumb:

Also needing some advice as to best place and how to mount it on the bike :think:

Does anyone have some pics they could post up of their GPS on the bike :?:

Plindz :wave:
AJP PR7 - New Toy :dance:
WR450 - Rallye Adventure - been and gawn :crazy:
BMW F800gs - long term latte bike :chair:
BMW F800GS - project bike work in progress :pray:

rmarmbruster

Re: 1st time GPS Buyer

Post by rmarmbruster » Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Plindz,
Sorry no pics. I mounted my 660 on the screen support rail above the instruments on my R1200GS to get it as far away from my old eyes as possible. Made no difference I still can only see a blurred screen, doesn't matter the blue tooth voice connection works great.

The 660 is slightly larger than the 550 and is only tough screen. The touch screens works great with gloves, never a problem. The 550 is more popular because it has buttons on the side and is perceived to be more glove user friendly. If it is a lot cheaper go the Garmin 550.

Cheers

Rob A.

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Sun May 29, 2011 10:32 pm

I mount my 550 to the handlebars using a RAM mount. Nothing fancy, but I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow for you.

Haven't tried the 660, but as rmarmbruster points out, it has a larger screen but may not be as glove friendly as the 550. Personally, I don't consider this to be an issue and if the 660 had been available when I bought my 550, I probably would have gone for it. The benefits of a larger display outweigh the disadvantages of a touch screen IMO.

That said, the 550 costs less and I have no complaints with mine.
Graham
'08 KLR650

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon May 30, 2011 10:05 am

Just be aware that the 660 does NOT come with Mapsource software but the 550 does.
Dont think anything has changed regarding that.
Mapsource is essential for planning and preloading routes.

I initially had mine mounted above the instruments but its too much of a reach to use on the go and its now back on the handlebars with ram mounts.
Suits me better there and its much more rigid.

What bike do want to mount it on Plindz?
Cowabunga dudes .......

plindz

Post by plindz » Tue May 31, 2011 12:25 am

Thanks for the info - I have a F800gs, I am not sure exactly where would be the most user friendly place :think:

I have noticed an "Adventure" pack advertised with the 550 & 660.Does anyone run these??

Can the 660 be updated to include Mapsource

Plindz

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Tue May 31, 2011 3:11 am

plindz wrote:Thanks for the info - I have a F800gs, I am not sure exactly where would be the most user friendly place :think:
Where it can be easily viewed & operated silly. :lol:
plindz wrote:I have noticed an "Adventure" pack advertised with the 550 & 660.Does anyone run these??
The Adventure Pack is basically the Oz Topo maps. These are topographic maps which provide more detail than the City Navigator maps. Useful for finding those obscure tracks.
A very good FREE alternative, is Shonky Maps. That's what I use.
plindz wrote:Can the 660 be updated to include Mapsource
I'm not sure what the deal is with Mapsource & the 660. I didn't realise that it wasn't included until 1CB mentioned it earlier.
Definitely worth having if you like to plan your routes on a PC.

Not to worry, you can download the Mapsource upgrade (which is actually the full software) from here, then follow these instructions to install it. The first option worked for me.
Graham
'08 KLR650

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 am

Im not so sure that Mapsource is actually compatible with the 660 at all.
Im lead to believe its a different package altogether that needs to be acquired.

Its at that point I stopped thinking about the 660 and stuck with the 550.

Thats what the guys at GPSOz told me a few months back.
Hopefully someone will post something if this is no longer the case.
Cowabunga dudes .......

plindz

Post by plindz » Tue May 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Spoke to someone at GPSoz today and said go for the 550 - there is a free download for the 660 which does exactly the same as mapsource

Anyhow, bit the bullet and got a 550 -now the only problem is working out how to use it

Will keep all informed of the learning progress (unless someone can shortcut this)

steve

Post by steve » Tue May 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Think you'll find there was issues importing mapsource routes both from crashing and from rerouting (which I also find with my 2610 and 2720). These are meant to be resolved with latest firmware.

I am waiting for the price to become reasonable and or 2nd hand units hitting the market before pulling the trigger on a 660, looks like an awesome package with A2DP expandable memory and mp3 player.

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Tue May 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Plindz
Since you sound like a GPS virgin, :D just be prepared for a lot of time, a lot of frustration and a lot of mistakes. :shock:
Ive been spending a lot of time on them over the last couple years and I still get it all ballsed up :lolno:
Ill admit I am an idiot but still, they can be very frustrating for anything more than the basics.
Not so much Mapsource but how the Zumo handles the routes youve created.
Best thing to do to start with is keep it simple!
Good luck with it and feel free to ask questions.
Cheers
Marc
Cowabunga dudes .......