Hema navigator 5 ???

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

moto.sid

Hema navigator 5 ???

Post by moto.sid » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 pm

New to the site and definitely new to GPS.

Anyone using the Hema navigator5, thoughts/comments???

Also, if the GPS thing doesn't work out I will be trying to find some more detailed maps of the Gippsland area if anyone knows where I can get them.
All advice appreciated.

Cheers

Sid

DustyWheels

Re: Hema navigator 5 ???

Post by DustyWheels » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:50 pm

what format are you after for the maps ?
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

moto.sid

Post by moto.sid » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:13 pm

I can only handle PDF or paper at this stage.

Cheers

DustyWheels

Post by DustyWheels » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:39 pm

No Problem, turns out the CD I have only covers NSW anyway :wall:
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

moto.sid

Post by moto.sid » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:23 pm

No worries. Thanks anyway.

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:03 am

AFAIK the Hema Navigator isn't waterproof. It's intended to be mounted safe and sound on your Range Rover's dashboard.
Garmen & Magellan make rugged motorcycle specific GPS's. You'd be better off looking at one of those.

Gippsland paper maps....
http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/Default.aspx & search for "gippsland".

Always a good idea to have paper maps on board even if you have a GPS. Technology has a habit of letting you down (well, that's what it does to me anyway).
Graham
'08 KLR650

rmarmbruster

Post by rmarmbruster » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:08 am

Sid,
+1 Hema also told me their unit is only intended for mounting in a 4be, they are not waterproof. I use a Garmin Zumo 660 with Mapsource for planning. It all seems to work OK. My Zumo has been out on many wet and dusty days also and keeps on keeping on.

I saw a post earlier on blue toothing with the phone and a headset for music and telecoms, this works well. The little blue ant coms does not fit my new helmet too great though so will be using the hard wired system for a while to see if that works OK.

Cheers

Rob A.

moto.sid

Post by moto.sid » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments, all good info. Looks like the Hema is out of the question....

I also, got good reports about the Zumo 660 from a guy at work. This unit seems like its worth a look at shop. Will also check out the Garmin 60csx as I have heard some good reports about this one.

Yeah, for sure will be taking the old paper maps with me.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Sid

rmarmbruster

Post by rmarmbruster » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:38 pm

Sid,
Yeah you mention all good units, the little Garmin 60CSX is popular but no good to me because I would not be able to see the thing with my old eyes. I have a Zumo 660 and think it very good. I have it mounted way out the front on the small bar under the screen on the R1200GS and can just read it going along. The only negative for this thing is the very small speed readout, the rest is just great.

The most popular unit by far is the Garmin Zumo 550 and people love them because they have the external buttons on the side whereas the 660 is all touch screen, but still it even works smoothly with gloves on. The size between the 660 and slightly smaller but sqaure 550 doesn't seem to make much difference. If the 550 is cheaper, buy it, the 550 is supplied with Mapsource.

If you get a 660 make sure they give you mapsource software with it. The Mapsource program is used to plan routes on your PC then download to the unit. Even I can do it OK. There are even a number of ways to plan a route on mapsource, to my mind the system is useless without the PC software.

Have fun.

Cheers