Garmin Zumo 220

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

davo_0104

Garmin Zumo 220

Post by davo_0104 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:11 pm

G'Day all,

I'm just doing some research on GPSs and have come across the new Zumo 220. Does anyone have any feedback, advice or preferences?

Thanks,

Davo

09 KLR 650

rmarmbruster

Re: Garmin Zumo 220

Post by rmarmbruster » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:07 am

Davo,
Sorry no advice on the 220 except to say screen size is important. I bought the very expensive 660 for screen size. Release of the 660 has made the other models cheaper. Many of the GPS features are not usefull so maybe the more basic units are a good buy.

I personnally need a blue tooth function for the instructions because i can't see the screen so well even though it is located up under the screen, maximum distance away.

Cheers

Roba.

rmarmbruster

Post by rmarmbruster » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13 am

Davo,
Great informative add on the 220 in the latest ORE.

Cheers

Roba.

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm

From what I've read, it's very similar to the Zumo 550 but has a smaller screen and touch panel (instead of buttons).

It sounds pretty good, although personally I'd cough up the extra dough for the 550's larger screen. When I glance down at a GPS on a motorcycle, I like to see things quickly. :shitfan:
Graham
'08 KLR650

tripodtiger

Post by tripodtiger » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:18 pm

whitey222 wrote:From what I've read, it's very similar to the Zumo 550 but has a smaller screen and touch panel (instead of buttons).

It sounds pretty good, although personally I'd cough up the extra dough for the 550's larger screen. When I glance down at a GPS on a motorcycle, I like to see things quickly. :shitfan:

I've got a Zumo 55 & a Navman something or other. The Navman asks the written question "Are you a passenger.....?" and gives a warning about driving and using the navigator. Like that's a sensible extra thing to get someone who uses it whilst driving.

Seriously though. The screen IS distracting and we should STOP when you want to actually change a view or something. It is probably as dangerous as using a mobile, and that really pisses me off.

Mine is mounted on the 'bars, so often I can't see the screen due to sunlight and it's a long way from my line of sight to the road ahead.