I think they see me coming.

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

Gazuki

I think they see me coming.

Post by Gazuki » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:41 pm

I Know im not going to get any simpathy, but I think I was just had. Looked alittle into GPS's on the net recently and strugled to know what to buy (especially on my buget). It was all a bit complicated. So after this I just happen to be in a camping store and they had the Magellan Triton 400 on special for $200 bucks, asked a few questions and the guy sold it well (like oil to an arab). So the next day I took it out for a trial and was not impresssed. Is there anything I can do to fix it without spending huge dollars or is it just me and it is a good unit. honest replys wellcome :D
Gaz.

Whitey
Site Admin

Re: I think they see me coming.

Post by Whitey » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:24 pm

What don't you like about it ?

If it's a lack of map detail, there's a version of shonkeymaps available for magellan I believe.
Try looking here...
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/
Graham
'08 KLR650

Hoyks

Post by Hoyks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:17 pm

I have one and am not the biggest fan.

It really sucks if you have the old software loaded on it. Download Vantagepoint from MagellanGPS.com and the run the automatic update. I have the latest software which makes it more user friendly. Download and vantage point before hooking up the GPS as it sometimes has issues. (If the program won't recognise the GPS is connected, go into the devices and printers tab, double click on the GPS and uninstall the driver software, un plug it and then plug it in again. I don't know why but if it gets shitty somtimes and this is the best way to sort it.)

I also loaded OliverK shonky maps loaded on a 2Gig SD card so now I have it working quite well.

Get yourself a cigarette lighter/USB adaptor as they do chew through the batteries. I also got a RAM mount for the bike through Ebay (all of $45 or so) so it is now useful. The USB lead will clip into the mount so you can run it off the bike power then easily un clip the GPS and shove it in your pocket..
KLR devotee.

Gazuki

Post by Gazuki » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Cheers Hoykes,
I told you im alittle illiterate when it come to finding sites on the net. This site seem to be what i was looking for. Yer my only drama with the Magellan was there was no tracks topo or any kind of land makes when i was out there, just a breadcrumb and a blank green screen. Without haveing a prelocked in waypoint I was purely guessing off the breadcrumb how far the next town might be. Hopefully i should be able to download some tracks or at least the towns around so i will know where I want to go.
Cheers once again I now have a new toy I will actually use, look forward to trying this weekend.
Greatest thanks, Gaz :dance:

Gazuki

Post by Gazuki » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Whitey,
Just finished sending the last post and then read yours, good info. Cheers ill get onto that this arvo. Thanks once again fellas for all you help, this is what makes this a great site :clap:
Gaz