upgrading Explorist 500

Tech and Reviews

Moderator: Waldorf

User avatar
DustyWheels
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

upgrading Explorist 500

Post by DustyWheels » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm

thinking of replacing my Exlporist 500, with a Explorist XL or a Magellan equivalent to the Zumo 550/660.

having difficulty reading the 500 with out glasses, and I figure if I stick to Magellan products I can still use my existing software ( DiscAUST, Vantagepoint, Oziexplorer)
Last edited by DustyWheels on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

rmarmbruster

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by rmarmbruster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 am

I had trouble reading my new Zumo 660 - old eyes. The fix was simple with a movwe from the handlebar to the bar in front of the instrument cowl. No problem seeing the thing now.

After purchasing the Zumo 660 I realise the importance of Mapsource, the thing is useless without it. The older 550 came packaged with it, the new 660 does not, so be careful when purchasing Garmin products.

I saw a Magellan that looked similar to the Garmin 660 in a 4by the other day, it looked the goods for a motorcycle, water proof appropriate mounting etc. I was a little stuck on the Garmin for map sharing with friends.

Cheers

Roba.

Whitey
Site Admin
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:41 am
Location: Penriff NSW

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by Whitey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 am

mudrat wrote:thinking of replacing my Exlporist 500, with a Explorist XL or a Magellan equivalent to the Zumo 550/660.
The XL has been discontinued. Replaced by a new model though, but with another name that escapes me.

Kinda interested in where this thread goes myself. I bought a Magellen 600 when they first appeared and paid a motza for it. I never really found it all that useful though. Whenever I wanted to know where I was, there was no track information. It was really good at telling me where I already knew I was though. :lolno:

I'm now checking out the market again. :ear:
Graham
'08 KLR650

Whitey
Site Admin
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:41 am
Location: Penriff NSW

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by Whitey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:41 am

rmarmbruster wrote:IAfter purchasing the Zumo 660 I realise the importance of Mapsource, the thing is useless without it. The older 550 came packaged with it, the new 660 does not, so be careful when purchasing Garmin products.
Are you saying that there is an additional cost to obtain mapsource now ?
Graham
'08 KLR650

User avatar
1coolbanana
Posts: 1949
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: NW Sydney

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 pm

You cant go wrong with the 550, tough, robust, comes with everything you need and you can use ShonkyMaps for free for all your tracks.
Nice piece of gear :D

Not much better on the market for adventure riding.
Cowabunga dudes .......

User avatar
DustyWheels
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by DustyWheels » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:46 pm

1coolbanana wrote:You cant go wrong with the 550, tough, robust, comes with everything you need and you can use ShonkyMaps for free for all your tracks.
Nice piece of gear :D

Not much better on the market for adventure riding.
except id have learn how to use a heap of new software, and none of my saved tracks etc would work as there all for the magellan stuff.
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

User avatar
DustyWheels
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by DustyWheels » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:48 pm

whitey222 wrote:
mudrat wrote:thinking of replacing my Exlporist 500, with a Explorist XL or a Magellan equivalent to the Zumo 550/660.
The XL has been discontinued. Replaced by a new model though, but with another name that escapes me.

:ear:
I don't mind the 500, just cant read the small screen.

was going to buy a 2nd XL, I since found that magellen make a unit called the crossover, but as yet I know very little about :?
I might ride like crap, but I'm having fun, I think

2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2012 KTM 990 -

User avatar
1coolbanana
Posts: 1949
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: NW Sydney

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by 1coolbanana » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:55 pm

mudrat wrote:
except id have learn how to use a heap of new software, and none of my saved tracks etc would work as there all for the magellan stuff.
You should be able to export all your Magellan tracks as GPX files and that will make them compatible with Garmin and Map Source.
Why dont you give GPSOZ a call, they sell both I think and they are happy to have a chat and very knowledgeable.
Cowabunga dudes .......

rmarmbruster

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by rmarmbruster » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:51 am

whitey222 wrote:
Are you saying that there is an additional cost to obtain mapsource now ?

Whity222
The new Zumo 660 does not come with Mapsource. The older 550 still actively marketed alongside does come with a Mapsource program disc.

Johnny Appleseed contacted Garmin over two weeks ago and they agreed to send me Mapsource. I have not received Mapsource at this time. I intend to ring the Johnny Appleseed manager at Salisbury today because the saleman I have been dealing with seems more than a little lazy and has not kept his word on more than one occassion now.


Good luck.

Rob A.

rmarmbruster

Re: upgrading Explorist 500

Post by rmarmbruster » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:28 am

I recieved a copy of Mapsource in the mail from Johnny Appleseed on Wednesday and another copy from Garmin last evening. Both version only have Australia and I think this must relate to the purchase of the Zumo 660 with Aust/NZ City Maps.

It looks to be a good trip planning tool and almost essential for a Garmin. I can't wait to get topo maps to fill in all the gaps. City navigator is sure missing a lot of roads.

Post Reply