Ural's in Oz

Moderator: Waldorf

Jaqhama

Ural's in Oz

Post by Jaqhama » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:07 pm

Why are the Ural's sold in Australia so expensive?

Here's the price of most of the Ural models in the USA in 2010..and note that the gear-up model in America has the 2 wheel drive system, which the ones here don't.

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/ural.html

Lin and I were seriously looking at a Ural for a trip around Oz, but not at the prices being asked for them new or even used here in Oz.

tripodtiger

Re: Ural's in Oz

Post by tripodtiger » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Good question.
Last time I looked they were around $18k +ORC for the basic outfit. Still correct?

There are a couple of schools of thought about the Urinals. It's not just 'for' and 'against' either.

Like lots of quirky products, anything that goes wrong, everyone knows about it. Everyone has tales of bikes that have had major dramas etc. We don't tend to hear too much about the bikes from the major manufacturers that are lemons. I reckon one reason for that is that the problem bikes can be fixed by the local dealer. Bit less convenient when your local dealer is several hundred kays away.
I have no idea what the Ural repair/warranty record is like out here.

Resale value isn't great, either. It may be just that I'm fairly committed to outfits, but I reckon you get one as a keeper and learn to deal with the various issues that come your way. Apparently, a Ural is far easier to deal with, when it needs dealing with, than some Jap or Euro bike that decides to throw a hissy fit.

They are also slow. If you enjoy finding back roads (surprise!) that can be a real advantage. Urals are not recommended for doing battle with B doubles and road trains.

If you do some calculations of the cost of building a sidecar using a donor bike, you may be surprised. Also, there are precious few sidecar builders in oz. Have you had a look at the prices that SRK in Bathurst demand? :surprised:

And of the ones that are here, what is their technique and experience? A built up sidecar is mostly bespoke. So that takes time and patience, as well as $$$. And the bike hasn't been designed with a sidecar in mind. Compromises in performance & design. Thinking through issues that will come up. That all takes time, and money.

In the end, it's still a personal decision. I just don't think it's as simple as being surprised by the up front cost.

What price is satisfaction and enjoyment?

Go on, Jaq. Get an outfit, you'll love it. Lin will love it.
You can get on the turps and let her steer you home. When you chuck up, you wont even have to wind down the window or open a door. Just remember to turn to your left. :lol:

Then again, I'm biased.

Whitey
Site Admin

Re: Ural's in Oz

Post by Whitey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:23 am

tripodtiger wrote: You can get on the turps and let her steer you home.
Is this covered in your learner courses Ray ? :lol:
Graham
'08 KLR650