Chain maintenance????

General chat about Adventure Riding

Moderator: Waldorf

Dobbo

Chain maintenance????

Post by Dobbo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi,

I know this is a really basic question; BUT..... what is the most simple and best way to care for your chain?

After a ride I hose all the mud/sand off and if it has alot of crap on it I might degrease it or brush it in Kero, from there I give it a spray with chain lube. I have been told lately, not to waste my cash on chain lube and just to use engine oil!....... I thought this would attract more grit.

What does everyone else do?

Cheers
Dobbo

grrant1058

Post by grrant1058 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:35 pm

G'day Dobbo,

Engine oil just flicks off all over the show. Have had a Scott automatic chain oiler on my DR for the past 54,000 k's ( and it was on my previous Varadero, Transalp, DR650, 640ADV & NX650). Fitted new chain and sprockets at 40,000. Can run about 2,000 k's without topping up the oil reservoir. A lot cleaner than using chain lube, bog simple and everything lasts so much longer.

Cheers,

Ron.

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:45 am

I have a similar regime to yours dobbo.

I wash my bike after each ride with a kaarcher pressure washer followed by the good ol' bucket of water/sponge. I use the kaarcher to blast off as much dirt as possible from the chain, wipe off excess water with a rag, then spray on chain lube.

Whenever I change the rear tyre, I take the opportunity to give the chain a good clean with some kero and a toothbrush.

I've moved this thread into the 'what, where & when' section as it's a generic question which might get more responses there.
Last edited by Whitey on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham
'08 KLR650

gco0307

Post by gco0307 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Hmmm, well I don't wash my bike much at home but try as best as possible to ensure that dirt is cleaned off whilst crossing creeks. Does that count as washing (the last wash it had was by my mechanic at service)?

As for the chain, I do occasionally sit at home and clean the chain as best possible. Generally I start with a soft brush to get as much dirt as possible out of the chain, guards and guide. Then use the Kero treatment and give it a good thorough clean. Will then lube the chain or sometimes will do so after a ride provided that the chain itself is reasonable clean.

Basically, I am a mechanical gumby.

Garry

marshy

Post by marshy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:19 pm

I lube before every ride using inox (sticks like shit) or lanotec (keeps the sheep cockys happy , popguns tip) the idea , i think , is that spray on lube helps seal the crap from getting into the chain.
And a good kero clean after every 3rd or 4th ride.
whether this is right or not i don,t know , but i hate spending hard earned on chains and sprockets.

grrant1058

Post by grrant1058 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:36 pm

A while ago I got caught in the rain near Camerons Corners and eventually got thru to Innamincka and had to wait 5 days for the water to disperse. All in all rode about 300 k's of mud and pushed/ rode thru about 25 km's of water up to the footpegs. Fitted a brand new top of the range o'ring chain for this ride and because of all the mud and water, it was stuffed when I got bact to Bris 3,000 k's later. As an experiment, I removed the chain and boiled it in sump oil for 30 minutes and then left it to soak for 24 hours in that oil. The next day cleaned the chain up and removed a link. To my surprise the pin was totally dry and rusty! Just goes to show how effective the o'rings work. It would seem the main benefit of lubing the chain is to keep the o'rings working so they seal the factory lube inside.

Cheers,

Ron.

DanD

Re: Chain maintenance????

Post by DanD » Mon May 18, 2015 10:20 am

This is something that always has interested me. How do people care for their chains.

I hate chain lube, sticky horrible stuff that to me just acts as a crud magnet.

I am a stickler for clean chains, I brush mine down after a ride (to clarify when riding through mud etc) apply a water dispersant spray (such as Inox, WD etc) wipe excess off with a rag and then apply 5wt fork oil, wipe the excess off and I am done. I cleaned the chain on my V Strom yesterday (previous owner was a sticky chain lube user obviously) and found under all that crud a gold DID chain. Now my bike has some added bling and the chain is clean and ready to go.

Apart from dirty chains, dirty header pipes are another pet hate of mine. I will walk away from a second hand bike if the header pipe is crusted up. Off topic a bit I know.
07 Suzuki DL650
13 Husaberg FE501

Eagle`02

Post by Eagle`02 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Hay Dan,
Ditto on the sticky crud lubes , Hate `em :evil:

I just make sure the O Ring chain gets dry straight after the Truckwash treatment of the bike, then apply "3in1" spray lube with PTFE liberally, let drain for half an hour then wipe any remaining excess with a rag.
95% of the required lube is the grease behind the O Rings anyway, so the chain apparently needs bugger all else if kept clean & rust free.

As for crusty Headers,,,, Well 90% of mine on the 690R is shiny and schmick, even after near 30,000k :wink:

Cheers mate & have a great ride :yo:
2010 KTM 690R

darren

Post by darren » Mon May 18, 2015 6:58 pm

I blast mine with the pressure wash and truck cleaner then when dry spray it with wd 40 or similar. Then the night before a ride i spray along each side of the rollers with castrol spray chain lube because its cheap and i have been using it since my yz80. Spin the wheel a few times to let it wick in the rollers, give the chain a wipe with a rag and let it sit for a bit to set.
Then ride ( if the rest of the bike is going)
I'm not a team player..

Keep Taking Money

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 pm

After every ride I truck wash, dry with a rag, then compressed air immediately before the rust spots start, when completely dry, Lanotec or similar.
Soak it and wipe off excess.
I never pressure wash, Im too paranoid about seals and O rings etc.
Cowabunga dudes .......