2014 690 ER vibration Issue

General chat about Adventure Riding

Moderator: Waldorf

Faster

2014 690 ER vibration Issue

Postby Faster » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:35 pm

On Thursday arvo coming back from Newcastle my 690 it stated to vibrate, like the old 640 LC4 -. It currently has 2450km on it and has just been serviced.

I am unsure of how the counter balancing works on the Duke 690 motor but it feels like it just stopped working. Is it gear driven/chain or something else. Made it home without issue apart from the vibration, even seemed to have a bit more pep.. Any Ideas?:mad:

Anyway back to the dealer on Tuesday for an assessment. Apart from that I am loving the bike and have even been doing some light MX work on a home built track (small jumps) whilst teaching the kids to ride my sons 250. Also spent a day blasting fire trail erosion rills in Braidwood at New year. All while commuting the 300km round trip to work, awesome bike until last week.

Faster

Re: 2014 690 ER vibration Issue

Postby Faster » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:52 pm

I may have posted this in the wrong section. Mods are welcome to move it if required to the KTM threads.

Hoots

Postby Hoots » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:57 am

Faster wrote:On Thursday arvo coming back from Newcastle my 690 it stated to vibrate, like the old 640 LC4 -. It currently has 2450km on it and has just been serviced.

I am unsure of how the counter balancing works on the Duke 690 motor but it feels like it just stopped working. Is it gear driven/chain or something else. Made it home without issue apart from the vibration, even seemed to have a bit more pep.. Any Ideas?:mad:

Anyway back to the dealer on Tuesday for an assessment. Apart from that I am loving the bike and have even been doing some light MX work on a home built track (small jumps) whilst teaching the kids to ride my sons 250. Also spent a day blasting fire trail erosion rills in Braidwood at New year. All while commuting the 300km round trip to work, awesome bike until last week.

I've had one of these, and marked vibration is definitely not normal

You'll get some minor vibration arising from the knobby tyres, and a bit of movement at the front end when cruising on hard top - but if the wheels are both balanced (and the weights have not just fallen off) then nothing terrible - have you got rimlocks front and back? - they need to be balanced pretty carefully, and if a weight falls off you can certainly feel it

Suspension also needs to be dialled in correctly, but if that was a problem you'd expect it to have been there all the time

Definitely get it looked at

I had a good run with my 690 - virtually no mech issues, and ran beautifully

Faster

Postby Faster » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:42 pm

I first notice the vibration when I started the bike and the mirrors were vibrating. Not moving so not tyre, balance or suspension related. Thanks for input, but the only thing moving at the time was the engine.... Dealer is picking it up from work on Tuesday, I will update on the issue once found.

Return to “General Chat”