APC Rally - someone explain it to me please.

General chat about Adventure Riding

Moderator: Waldorf

atgreg

Re: APC Rally - someone explain it to me please.

Post by atgreg » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:05 pm

the idea is for John to make $$ , specially from inexperienced riders who think it sounds great but have no idea what they are getting into. Its a disaster waiting to happen, the carrnage this year is already stunning. The cops have already diverted them in Qld from a lot of crashes on 1 particular rd.

It's unconscienable to take no account of riders experience in accepting entries for this sort of thing

1coolbanana

Post by 1coolbanana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:28 pm

Im glad YOU said that Greg :D
Cowabunga dudes .......

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:38 am

If access to private land and fuel drops are arranged as Uncle Dave points out, that's something at least. The added "security" of SPOT followers might also appeal to some.

Part of the fun IMO, is planning your own ride, or not planning it at all and simply going for a ride. The APC sounds too structured for my liking, and I don't ever see myself paying someone a grand to plan a ride for me. Each to their own I suppose.

Thanks for the info gents. Maybe katgirl will add a different perspective on things when she gets back. :)
Graham
'08 KLR650

john950

Post by john950 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:45 pm

I went on it last year with 2 mates and we had a great time,the scenery/terrain was great.
We had a couple of bike dramas etc but nothing a bit of spanner work and bagging out couldnt fix,some of the other entrants had bigger issues that were overcome by both fellow riders and event organizers to keep them going,lots of good people around.Pre ride info on what was going to be ridden was written in plain and simple english,cost of event was the same,you decide if to enter or not.Lots of great bits but favs were the flinders/hattah and the forrests in nsw,The rocky river road from tenterfield/w bong through the river granite country was great also.

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:13 pm

It might be alright being that if I were 1000kms from home id have no idea where the best tracks are and id waste HEAPS of time riding on tar (which is part of the adventure riding of couse)
Id be interested in a shorter 4/5 day rally.

Not for highway use

Post by Not for highway use » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:17 pm

atgreg wrote:the idea is for John to make $$ , specially from inexperienced riders who think it sounds great but have no idea what they are getting into. Its a disaster waiting to happen, the carrnage this year is already stunning. The cops have already diverted them in Qld from a lot of crashes on 1 particular rd.

It's unconscienable to take no account of riders experience in accepting entries for this sort of thing
Shit you guys are harsh.
So what if he's making money from it? He has spent alot of time (and money) doing all the hard work organising the rally so I feel he is entitled to make a bit of coin. What about events such as Kowen and Sunny Corner? They are out to make money.

Whats wrong also with not taking into account riders ability? I'm sure the entrants would have at least done some basic research into what to expect. even if it's just flicking through rides reports. I've been on alot of "organised" rides with people who riding experience is ziltch. So what. The only way you get good is by spending hours warming the seat. John can't vet every entrant. Iv'e been on rides with people that have waaaaay more experience than me (not hard:whistle:) where they are the ones who get tangled up and the nOObs are the ones to arrive safely.

I know alot of guys on here and ADV etc could plan the same (or better) ride themselves but not everyone has the time, ability and experience to do it with confidance. Shit, I don't.

I think there are over 100 riders this year who think $1000 is good value for money.

Sorry for the rant.

Whitey
Site Admin

Post by Whitey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:51 pm

I think the previous two posts may hold the answer for me. Participants know they are getting a pre-ridden and well researched route. A route which is probably better than the one they otherwise would have planned themselves. Fair enough.

and wow, there are over 100 riders this year !!! :shock: It's quite a money spinner.
Graham
'08 KLR650

Dobbo

Post by Dobbo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:20 pm

I too have wondered why?

A mate got keen to do it last year... I thought this might be worth a look.

I thought it might be a good way to get out for a ride, which is organised and would suit those who don't have the time to plan out a ride.

I asked what do I get for my $$$

Do I get :

Accommodation? No... as you could be anywhere.
Meals? as above.
Guides? No... you can go it alone or with a group, at your own pace.
Recovery / mechanical aid? No... you need to arrange your own way home.
Medical backup? Not specifically for this ride.
Detailed route (maps)? Yep
group to ride with? Yep... if you want.

I was informed I had to have a spot tracker... which I thought would be provided as part of the fees paid.

I think I am with Atgreg on this, I can see a disaster eventuating from this event.

This in not like a guided tour... as you can ride alone, if you want.

I am not trying to bag this ride out, but I just don't understand what I get for my $$$$ ???

Much like me planning out a ride route and emailing it to those interested then asking for $$$$

Just confused:ne_nau:

rattlinjack

Post by rattlinjack » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:28 am

Dobbo wrote:I too have wondered why?

A mate got keen to do it last year... I thought this might be worth a look.

I thought it might be a good way to get out for a ride, which is organised and would suit those who don't have the time to plan out a ride.

I asked what do I get for my $$$

Do I get :

Accommodation? No... as you could be anywhere.
Meals? as above.
Guides? No... you can go it alone or with a group, at your own pace.
Recovery / mechanical aid? No... you need to arrange your own way home.
Medical backup? Not specifically for this ride.
Detailed route (maps)? Yep
group to ride with? Yep... if you want.

I was informed I had to have a spot tracker... which I thought would be provided as part of the fees paid.

I think I am with Atgreg on this, I can see a disaster eventuating from this event.

This in not like a guided tour... as you can ride alone, if you want.

I am not trying to bag this ride out, but I just don't understand what I get for my $$$$ ???

Much like me planning out a ride route and emailing it to those interested then asking for $$$$

Just confused:ne_nau:
AAH, your missing the whole point, Dobbo! They get a T shirt,,,,,, uhm, I think... :think: :biggrin:
2003 KTM 450EXC, wide seat, 12 Litre tank, otherwise, bog stock......

Eagle`02

Post by Eagle`02 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:12 pm

I hear the questions and I have thought about the pros & cons of both sides over the past year,,,,
They do get a t-shirt, and a hat or something Jack :clap:
I guess it is like tyre choice, a matter of personal opinion (everyone`s got one & entitled to one).
Yes a grand is a lot of moola to fork out to receive a route and a couple of blokes watching some computers to see where you are (most of the time), a fuel drop , some coordination of parts & repair options and thats about it.
But it also gives the less inclined to organise their own trek, a sense of security I reckon, and more chances to hook up with other riders going the same way to help get them through to the next stop (as in Kat`s position today/ tomorrow)
Then there are the poor buggers that fork out the $$$, do all the prep only to come to grief really early on in the event (a few have done exactly that this year) :broken:

I for one am a fence sitter I think and am real interested to hear what Kat & Amy have to say on their return.
From what I have heard so far, they are loving every minute of it & are really glad they joined in :dance:
2010 KTM 690R