APC Rally - someone explain it to me please.

General chat about Adventure Riding

Moderator: Waldorf

Doylespin

Re: APC Rally - someone explain it to me please.

Postby Doylespin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Yes is travels through private property and I believe they get permits to ride through national parks that are not normally open to bikes.
Cheers.
Fox 65

DR 650

Hoyks

Postby Hoyks » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Not to mention networking, so if something breaks, Rally Control can call someone that knows someone that has a mate that can help you keep going.

I read of a number of stories like that, stuff that would have ended your trip if doing it yourself, but with help from people that wish they could be doing it too, the rider only drops a day or so :thumb:.
KLR devotee.

Benny

Postby Benny » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Somehow missed this thread for a while.... if only there were some sort of button I could hit to show support for different comments that I agree with.... :imaposer:

It would be very interesting to see how many people agree with some of those comments.

mark1957

Postby mark1957 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes it would be Benny, but then again it might start an argument :think: :D
My favourite trail is the one I haven't been on yet

2005 KTM 625sxc

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Have another drink Ben. :wave:
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

smick400

Postby smick400 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Whitey wrote:Have another drink Ben. :wave:

Whitey
Site Admin

Postby Whitey » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 pm

smick400 wrote:
Whitey wrote:Have another drink Ben. :wave:

:lol: Facebook tragics the both of ya !
Graham
'08 KLR650, '16 CRF1000L
My Pics

xrman1954

Postby xrman1954 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 am

I was very keen to do the second APC rally with my mate. We thought it was a cost effective alternative to a cross Australia guided tour and logistically simpler, in that we wouldn't have the big transport sections to get to and from the start /finish.

My biking back ground: many years trail riding and enduro racing and grass track events.

During a preparation ride I stacked big time and broke my leg and damaged my neck. I was lucky to not hurt myself worse. it was a close thing. My leg has taken a long time to heal at my age ( 59).
Anyone over 50 should be wearing a neck brace to prevent central cord syndrome ( I have a mild case now)

We sat out the second APC.
We did ride up to Ouyen to farewell the three local guys that went in it though. My first post accident ride.

Then the third event was change to a time that co-incided with sowing season so my mate could not go anyway. I had to decided if I would do it solo. We decided that we would do the NSW 4 day APC in February to see what it would be like.

The event was though some excellent terrain and all we had to do was follow the pink line on the GPS. I would never have been able to locate these " good " tracks even after spending ages on OZiexplorer or Basecamp. I wasn't bike fit and I had to pace myself. I had one small low side and damaged my bike and foot (later X-ray showed I had broken it) anf then a high speed blow out just on dark(scarey). John picked me up on the trailer and they fixed my flat while I ate dinner.

So we had a 6 day boys adventure ( 2 days in the van driving across the country 1300 Km each way) and 1640 km in 4 days. The pace needed to finish each day in daylight was doable, but didn't allow too much time for picture taking. I had various bike issues related to the crash damage that slowed me down too.
On the 14 day event you can carry camping gear so you can camp out if you run out of daylight. The 4 day is a pub to pub style ride.

The busted foot meant pre -event rides were out and I pulled out of the 14 day event. John Hudson said come fit or pay the price, and I listened.

So if you are considering doing this event, do one of the four days first and see if you can keep the pace and ride with a loaded bike in some challenging terrain.( not anywhere near enduro tough but still skill needed)

If you struggle on the 4 day , imagine an extra 10 days of it!

IMO I would want to be 100% fit and have at least a group of three riders to make it easier and enjoyable.
Value for money? Well I am time poor and happy to pay John to do the legwork working out the route, co-ordinating some help in breakdown situations and general support albeit by distance.

We are hoping to do the Vic 4 day APC rally event in October.

John is planning to sell trail ride GPS tracks for 2 day rides. I think he could modify the 14 day rally routes to eliminate the private land sections and add these to his trail rides too. Then riders could do the route at their leisure.

Return to “General Chat”