Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

For You and Your Bike

Moderator: Waldorf

User avatar
Uncle Dave
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Location: Blue Mountains NSW

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by Uncle Dave » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:27 pm

:oops: that'll only get me to Birdsville. :shock:
2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
1989 Yamaha XTZ 850 Super Ténéré
1988 Yamaha XT600ZU Ténéré
1983 Honda XR 500
1978 Yamaha TY 175b

User avatar
1coolbanana
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: NW Sydney

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Better leave the traction control on full then :lol:
Cowabunga dudes .......

User avatar
Uncle Dave
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Location: Blue Mountains NSW

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by Uncle Dave » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm scared now! John says 2000k's tops ..... then what? I wonder if the Birdsville roadhouse carries 17 inch motorbike tyres! :lolno: I can see it now - "Sorry mate, all I have in 17 is this motorcross tyre." :doh:

I've read up on a few of the ADV forums and it seems 'some' are getting 4000 miles from them in the USofA in GS's while other only get what John says, about 2000 miles and they're toast....

What better way to give a full report on them, ride on an unknown tyre into the outback! :pray:

I hope the tyre gods will be in a good mood or this will turn :shitfan: ..................................
2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
1989 Yamaha XTZ 850 Super Ténéré
1988 Yamaha XT600ZU Ténéré
1983 Honda XR 500
1978 Yamaha TY 175b

User avatar
1coolbanana
Posts: 1912
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: NW Sydney

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Whats the worst that can happen :ne_nau:
Might have to have a couple days off in the thriving metropolis of Birdsville while waiting for a new one to arrive :lol:
Cowabunga dudes .......

john950
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by john950 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Uncle Dave wrote:I'm scared now! John says 2000k's tops ..... then what? I wonder if the Birdsville roadhouse carries 17 inch motorbike tyres! :lolno: I can see it now - "Sorry mate, all I have in 17 is this motorcross tyre." :doh:

I've read up on a few of the ADV forums and it seems 'some' are getting 4000 miles from them in the USofA in GS's while other only get what John says, about 2000 miles and they're toast....

What better way to give a full report on them, ride on an unknown tyre into the outback! :pray:

I hope the tyre gods will be in a good mood or this will turn :shitfan: ..................................
I didnt want to sound like a prophet of doom,but your rig has twice the hp/torque and weight of my 690,i think (going on how quickly my 2 wore out)a bigger adv bike will destroy one with low mileage.

User avatar
Uncle Dave
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Location: Blue Mountains NSW

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by Uncle Dave » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 pm

That's ok John, only one way to find out. I'll be extra careful on the throttle though and keep any wheelspin to a minimum and see what happens. :pray:

My last big ride out that way I put on a new Mitas E-10. Rode from Blue Mts to Arkaroola and around the Flinders Ranges then back home on the blacktop at an average speed of over 100 and it still had a bit of life left in it. That was over 3500k's in a week!
2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
1989 Yamaha XTZ 850 Super Ténéré
1988 Yamaha XT600ZU Ténéré
1983 Honda XR 500
1978 Yamaha TY 175b

Whitey
Site Admin
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:41 am
Location: Penriff NSW

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by Whitey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Uncle Dave wrote:I wonder if the Birdsville roadhouse carries 17 inch motorbike tyres! :lolno: I can see it now - "Sorry mate, all I have in 17 is this motorcross tyre." :doh:
You'll be hard pressed to find a 17" tyre in much bigger towns that Birdsville. Three bike shops in Broken Hill didn't have a tyre for my old DR650. They had every 18" tyre you could imagine though. Lesson learnt...

Admit it John, you were wringing the neck of that 690RR weren't you ? :yo:
If he can get 3K out if it, his wife will be able to trailer him home from Broken Hill. :lol:
Graham
'08 KLR650

User avatar
Uncle Dave
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:51 pm
Location: Blue Mountains NSW

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by Uncle Dave » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Whitey wrote:If he can get 3K out if it, his wife will be able to trailer him home from Broken Hill. :lol:
:fitz:

She'll be right Whitey, I'll just "wing it". Seems to work well for you.

I think you'd be very lucky to get any 17 inch tyres away from the coast or big cities...
2010 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré
1989 Yamaha XTZ 850 Super Ténéré
1988 Yamaha XT600ZU Ténéré
1983 Honda XR 500
1978 Yamaha TY 175b

john950
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: Pirelli Scorpian Rally Tyres

Post by john950 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Whitey wrote:
Uncle Dave wrote:I wonder if the Birdsville roadhouse carries 17 inch motorbike tyres! :lolno: I can see it now - "Sorry mate, all I have in 17 is this motorcross tyre." :doh:
You'll be hard pressed to find a 17" tyre in much bigger towns that Birdsville. Three bike shops in Broken Hill didn't have a tyre for my old DR650. They had every 18" tyre you could imagine though. Lesson learnt...

Admit it John, you were wringing the neck of that 690RR weren't you ? :yo:
If he can get 3K out if it, his wife will be able to trailer him home from Broken Hill. :lol:
It wrings my neck,get so nervous before rideing it, i cross thread the fuel caps every time,way to much bike for me.

Post Reply